1. MichaelMunro

MichaelMunro New Member

New and looking to Network with like minded Imaginations!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MichaelMunro, May 24, 2021.

Hey i wanted to find somewhere i could pull and push ideas with fellow world builders as i do not have much of that in real life. My friends and family are good folk and some do get the art form of books and movies some even delve deep into the production and creation of it all however most of my culture from the army and being from Scotland revolves around the drinking and nightlife culture as well as sport and violence! :D

My first question to the floor is how do you know when you're really ready to start putting pen to paper and hammering out a first draft of your first book? Is there a time, or like anything in life worth doing do you just have to go for it and take the plunge?

MM

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

One starts writing when one has something to say. Is the planned novel your first foray into creative writing?

3. MichaelMunro

MichaelMunro New Member

It is indeed. I just starting building a world a couple of years ago taking some inspiration from the greats that we loved growing up as kids and mixing in some historical fiction and driving it home with some real life experience and the deeper i went the more fun it got and now im pretty much ready to start writing. do you think writing short stories first get a style is important? that's another reason i'm on here i can read a lot of things folk have written just to get a vibe from other writers or fans of the genre so i might try that ! What about you Catriona have you done alot of writing yourself ? What kind of things are you into?

4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I wrote my first short story when I was seven, my first novel when I was in fourth grade, my second when I was in the fifth grade, my third and fourth in junior high school. I turned out dozens of shorts stories and essays throughout elhi and college, as well as some truly terrible bits and pieces of novels. First publication: short story at age 13 in 1968. Last publication: hummingbird article on May 2, 2021.

My best advice: quit planning to write, quit talking about starting, put your butt in a chair, a pen in your hand (or a computer on your desk), and start writing whatever comes into your head. Do it every day without worrying about developing a style or producing something publishable. Have fun, get frustrated, go blank, yell that it's all too hard, marvel that it is so easy, scribble words on a hundred sheets of paper, a thousand, keep writing. Do this consistently and you'll eventually produce something much better than the first words you commit to paper. Write and rewrite, tear it all up, start over, write and rewrite, and someday you'll have a short story or a book. Might be a stellar short story, might be a terrible book, or vice versa. Whatever. Sell it, can it, store it, and write something else. Repeat.

Good luck and much happiness in your new endeavor. I'll look forward to reading your work.

FlyingFishPhilosophy and Xoic like this.
  5. MichaelMunro

MichaelMunro New Member

That's fantastic advice Catriona! You are right. Now is the time for if not now, when? Suppose it's the same with anything you are passionate and see yourself doing. Thanks again and i'll be sure to keep the page posted! x

Catriona Grace likes this.
  6. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

there is no perfect time. you just do it.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  7. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

• Firstly... Hello and welcome X)
    • Secondly "Just DO IT!" Shia Labeouf 2015
    • Thirdly. And by no means least importantly. Story must never be forgotten when world building.
    World building must only be there to enhance the plot, not the other way around. Otherwise you will be spending years world building and never write anything down. Trust me. Too many people get stuck in 'never ending world building syndrome' the story never gets written.
    Good luck with your writing and I would love to help you out if you ever need a extra set of eye's or a fan ^^

MichaelMunro likes this.
  8. Yurii

Yurii Member

Writing a book is something that came to me unexpectedly (I wrote a little more details about it in my post on this site). I was writing my first book for several years. At some point in writing, I even wanted to quit writing. But now, going back, I realize I did everything right. Now, I feel incredible self-respect and pride for taking and writing the book! So, I recommend you to find your personal motivation and be Shure that you on the right way!

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Just do it. You need to be getting in the practice at writing, That alone makes a huge difference. It develops your general skills and your flow and all kinds of things we don't even have names for. Later, when you can see what elements still need work you can go in more specifically and start to develop the skills that need it.

Leonardo said (in my own clumsy re-wording) that a sailor needs to have a lot of practical experience sailing as well as knowing how to read the instruments and the charts, or he'll just wander aimlessly about the trackless ocean and get nowhere. Or become kraken chow.

MichaelMunro and Yurii like this.
  10. MichaelMunro

MichaelMunro New Member

Ha! that is actually me to be honest spent a few years now building the world and not actually writing the story, looking for perfection instead of just getting things down this has been so helpful!! And thanks so much and the same to you i will keep you posted on the progress!

LostArtist likes this.
  11. MichaelMunro

MichaelMunro New Member

Love the para-phrasing especially from someone as esteemed as Big Leo ! haha! I'm like this with so many things to be honest it probably boils down to a lack of confidence at the end of the day which is insane if you met me you would understand but where it counts and where i believe there to be potential im definitely lacking it somewhere. I'm going to put some time aside after work in the morning to get some stuff blasted on here and you guys can see what you think!

Xoic likes this.