1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

When do people stop to think of the children?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Torana, Sep 8, 2008.

Today, I picked my son up from school and he was in tears. He doesn't get to go to the library this week to pick a book to bring home for a week, and read. Why? Because someone decided to burn the school's library down to the ground. Everything is gone.

Our community is working together to do as much as possible to get the library going again. But it just makes me so angry that someone could do this. I mean, that library is there to teach our children, a place they go to for extra knowledge, to borrow books to read at home.

It is going to be some time before the school has a library again, and a while before they get a temporary library up and running. It just isn't fair that our children must suffer because someone couldn't give a stuff about others.

THey have their DNA and finger prints, so hopefully they will find out who did it!

Here is a link to the story anyway.
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=96786

2. ZionsRodeVos

ZionsRodeVos New Member

It is sad how much respect for other peoples and community property has deteriorated.

I hope they get a temporary library going so that your son (and the other students affected) can again enjoy checking out library books.

I do hope they catch those who did this. That is a lot of damage.

3. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

firstly i hope the temp library gets up soon. I couldnt imagine being a kid without books. Second i hope they catch the critters who burnt it down. *sends special team of Souji CSI people to assist*

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

How disappointing - on a whole range of levels. I really do hope that the perpetrators of this crime are caught, and that the appropriate punishment handed down. Burning books, a children's library at that, is just abhorrent.

More than that, I hope that the children in the school have a serviceable library A.S.A.P - the great thing about communities is that they tend to rally after such an event and make things like that happen.

5. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

You know, it is a selfish world we live in and sadly, some people are only out to amuse themselves. I don't think they thought of anybody, considering they are willing to take chances with their own personal freedom.

It is a shame and I am sorry for your son, as well as the others who are unable to use this most valuable resource. :(

6. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That's terrible. It's sad to think of what might motivate a person to do this sort of thing. Do they have any plans yet on how to restore the library?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Have to wonder what the motive was. Do they hate literacy out of jealousy? Do they hate school in general for the same reason? Do they hate children?

I couldn't think of any motive that wasn't wrapped around hate.

Such a pointless act.

8. Jade

Jade Active Member

Some people don't need a motive. They get bored, they ruin other peoples property.

Anyway, it's sad to think about all those books going up in flames. Like everyone else, I hope that they get another library soon.

9. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Pyromania?

10. ciavyn

ciavyn New Member

That is disgusting. What a waste of a precious resources - I can't imagine being without my library!

In a similar vein, I had my kids in the library this summer (a weekly stop), and some guy pushed past us as we reached the Fiction floor. When I walked in, one of the aides came over and asked me if I saw anyone leaving on my way up - someone had stolen the money box out of the desk - about $150. It could have been the guy that had been in such a rush that we ran into, but we didn't know. My kids were stunned - who would rob a library?! I guess the same kind of person who would burn it down.

Hopefully the new one will be even better!!

11. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

People get bored and burn stuff

it's incredibly thoughtless and selfish

and if I ever catch those responsible I'll spray something caustic in their eyes.

12. CobaltLion

CobaltLion New Member

That's very disturbing news. I do hope that the community is able to get something up and running soon.

I also hope that the arsonists are caught promptly.

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Just seams like a waste... soory to hear that. :(

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am sorry to hear about this Torana, it is a shame to hear about things like this that have happened.

The Primary School which I atteneded was in a slummy area, and we could not arrive on a Monday morning without finding the school had been broken into yet agaiin. They would do daft things, like cover the nursery in paint, or steal pens and throw books over the place. It is a shame really.

15. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I'm sorry for your son and all his friends. That's such a horrible loss, and such a horrible crime. I mean, some crimes you can see a motive in, like robbery. Even though I'm not saying its ok to rob, at least there's a reason. I can't see any reason in destruction. It's just evil, that's the only word to describe it. I hope they get a new library up soon.

16. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

According to the report, they removed some "equipment" from the building before the fire and stashed it near a fence. It certainly sounds like the fire has nothing to do with contempt for reading as opposed to covering up evidence of a burglary.

17. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Of course they weren't thinking of the children. People don't think of those kinds of consequences concerning stuff like this.

My stepbrother once burned part of our house when he was playing with gasoline. He wasn't thinking, "Man, I could possibly hurt my family and/or leave us all homeless." He was thinking, "Gasoline makes playing with fire more awesome!"

These guys weren't thinking, "We're about to deprive a bunch of kids of their reading material." They were probably thinking, "If we want to get away with this stuff, we have to cover our tracks." At least that's what it looks like.

I think you guys give these criminals way too much credit for being diabolical and cruel, when they're really just selfish and stupid.

I would say that it's a damn good thing that no one was hurt.

18. Cogito

A few days ago, in one of the nearby towns (Holliston, Massachusetts), thieves stole a specially-made wheelchair belonging to a little girl with muscular dystrophy. The family and the authorities believe it was stolen to sell the expensive titanium alloy frame as scrap metal.

Insurance will cover the expense of the chair, but it may take months to fabricate a new chair. Meanwhile, the little girl will be unable to attend school.

19. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

That's pathetic, Cogito. There are lots of other ways you cn get scrap metal to sell without hurting somone so much.

20. Cogito

Agreed. Metal theft has become a huge problem though. People stealing copper plumbing from vacation homes during the off-season, others stealing catalytic converters from SUVs and other high-chassis vehicles to sell the platinum catalyst, and now this despicable theft.

21. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

There was a whole pile of computers dumped in a paddock behind the school and a few along the fence line. They were badly damanged though. From what I've heard anyway.

It breaks my heart as there are all the school photos fromt he time the school first opened, books that are no longer on the market. A lot of valuable teaching resources were lost and can never be replaced. It is infuriating and heart breaking.