1. Lauteralus5105

Lauteralus5105 New Member

Potential plot - looking for outside opinion

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lauteralus5105, Jun 26, 2011.

This will most likely end up being something between a short story and a novella. It's not supposed to be too serious, I'm just having fun with this one. What do you guys think?

Hank is a runaway from a family of “rangers” - nomadic hunter/gatherers who are the bottom feeders of the American West. As Hank enters an uncharted area of the Mojave Desert, home to humanity’s rejects, a pack of carnivorous, rabid dogs steal his ticket to survival - his Winchester rifle with a custom golden engraved barrel that was made by Stevenson, the world’s most renowned long-range gunmaker whose weapons literally never miss their targets.

Knowing that the rifle was what defined Hank as a person and gave him a reason to live, he realizes his only option - a journey to Louisville, KY to track down Stevenson to get a new rifle. But not even Hank, the most experienced of “rangers,” is ready for the obstacles that lie between him and Stevenson.

2. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Go with Bandits or something. Because I just can't see a pack of rabid dogs giving a damn about taking a rifle like that.

As for the rest. All I can really say is if you want to write it write it.

3. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

As will eventually be said by Cogito, it's all been done before, blah blah blah. We're not here to give you validation. If you think you should write it, write it. Don't come to us to ask what we think. Just write it.

If you have an actual question about a plot hole or something, that's what we're here for.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I agree, if you believe in it that is the only validation you need for writing it. I'd say go ahead and write it, it sounds like you already have the plot well elaborated and thoroughly planned, which is good.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?