1. Fawx

Fawx New Member

Fawx; Me.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fawx, Jan 17, 2019.

Hi all,
    My name is Kallum, I like to think myself as the average joe, but more... Average.
    I'm 26 and I can't escape my imagination, gaming and work are a life time love of mine.

I'm working on my first fantasy novel, which is something I've always wanted to do but for years of procrastination... I'm stuck, I feel like I write and it's just not gripping or catchy, I ask myself and doubt myself.

But it's not going to stop me from trying so if you read this, tell me about you, have you written a long piece and how did you overcome the hard times where it seemed a struggle?

Thanks and hi again,
    Fawx

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome :)
    At 26, you're coming into a fuller, deeper awareness of the world. That awareness will fuel the 'what-ifs' and 'what-abouts' that are in every story. Dive into it. Watch documentary shows instead of reality shows or whatever. Learn how the world came to be, how people came to be, how they feel and behave in unusual or stressful circumstances. Mythology is a neat resource for fantasy. This nerdy stuff can be on in the background while you do other stuff. Then you have fuel for ideas and conflicts and consequences. If you think about it, no one ever writes about they know. They write about what they think or feel. Moments come and go, but keep filling the coffers of your awareness.
    About me? I'm not your average joe, more like the average ADHD moron. I never thought about writing. I hated it for 45 years. Then I had a recurring nightmare, and thought to resolve it by writing a few paragraphs. After a couple years, they became pages of notes and thoughts, and now it's a 180kw at a third of the way done, with another 70kw of notes lurking. Then, out of the blue, another story arose from decades of thought about the end of the world. That one is about 50-60kw of notes.
    The point is that this all came about when I stopped pressuring myself about the worthiness (very little) of my writing and just explored the what ifs of the story. Start a Progress Journal just to talk about issues that come to mind when you think about your story. Make it the same title as your story.
    Good luck, keep thinking, keep exploring! :)