1. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

New Member, Old Writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by zoupskim, Feb 8, 2016.

Hello, artists

I'm a new member to the forum, but a long time admirer of the content and people here. I started an account a long time ago, but never really posted or was active since I considered myself a novice and did not have any serious active projects. I am still a novice, but I have recently dedicated myself to developing professionally as a writer, with the goal of becoming a published author. I hope to finish my first proper book before the year is finished, with the following year dedicated to pushing for traditional publication.

I have filled my life with experiences, both hardships and joys. I love conveying the struggle of life in my writing. The first things I ever remember reading was Calvin and Hobbes comics by 'Bill' Watterson. The strife, the philosophy, the rants, getting into trouble, and the redemption. The first thing I ever wrote was my own version of the comic with myself as a goofier Calvin and a wolf as a more violent Hobbes. The Dragonriders of Pern stole my heart soon after, when I learned how to read and follow more complicated material. I still remember sitting on the couch in the dark with Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern and a dictionary, unwilling to allow my feeble prepubescent vocabulary limit my understanding of the deadly outbreak afflicting our hero's home. I added a dragon character to my comic during this time.

I have written pamphlets, short stories, books, comics, scripts, TV shows, movies, and the occasional play. All of these were half-baked ideas written for my own enjoyment. Sometimes there was a real plot or premise, but most of the time it was just personal reflections and mental stretching. Comfort food in the form of words. In collage I learned how to write professionally, my creativity and raw practice honed by harsh deadlines and dull subjects. I was that jerk always asking for page number extensions on writing assignments, and that hero in group projects who volunteered to do all the boring essay writing. Throughout all the research papers, I never stopped writing creatively. My wife killed me and ran from my wolf during this time, her journey through a strange alternate reality New York City a tale of betrayal and sex.

I am in love with words. They are everything to me, but I am done fiddling with them playfully in the dark. I will finish my first book this year, and press it into the faces of everyone who I can find. I am two thirds done with my first draft, with an outline of failures and rewrites piling up behind it as I press forward.

Help my on this journey. I am an old soul and a practiced writer, but an amateurish and unproven author. Be a part of my story, and I'll be a part of yours.

Anomona likes this.
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Thank you for the introduction! What you're doing sounds really interesting, and I hope you'll finish your novel. What kind of manuscript are you working on and how is it progressing? :)

Well, see you around!

-Kat

zoupskim likes this.
  3. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Thanks for the encouragement!

I am writing a near future story about a slave soldier, who manages to meld their ruthless treatment with future technology to become a barely controllable monster. Think if Frankenstein's monster tried to help soldiers fight a war. I am about finished with my first draft.

KaTrian likes this.
  4. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Hey zoup! I'm enjoying your posts.

Bear in mind that hardly anyone on here is a published writer, especially if you mean traditionally published. So you're among friends.

zoupskim likes this.