1. elij

elij New Member

New Member: This is My Story

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by elij, Jul 13, 2019.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Elijah from Nigeria and it is a pleasure to be in this forum.
    I joined this forum hoping to find inspiration from writers.
    You see, I used to write in teens. My creative muse was so intense at the time.
    However, it appeared I lost it. I can't seem to conjure a story anymore.

I am in my mid thirties now and I long to get back to writing.
    But the muse seem to have totally left me. I don't feel creative.
    And I can't seem to connect to the creative side of me.

Has anyone been in this place before? How did you get out?
    What did you do?

I want to write again. Help me write again please. Thank you

Sheerah likes this.
  2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

We can't help you, but we can help you to help you.

You must help yourself. We can help and support you in that. But the important part is you helping you.

One way you can start helping you is thinking about writing.

You can start from sayings like "write what you know (emotionally)" or "writing is rewriting" if you like.

Or you can start by reading. Read this board. Read books you to like. Read about writing life. Read books about writing as craft.

Or you can start by writing. You don't need your muse to start writing. Writing is your ringing bell. You call your muse by writing, not by waiting.

We can show maps and compasses. We can tell which path leads where - even if we don'd know it. But it's your path. You must do the walking. And hopefully you can see and learn what this path can show you.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    elij, jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  3. Becracer

Becracer Member

Just start in, man, even if it feels forced. Sometimes, when I have been too busy with life to write for a few days and finally get back to it, I have the sort of feelings you describe. Where do I go from here? I know I had a story here somewhere, where did it go? It feels like I'm slogging through mud just to reconnect and get going again but soon the juices start to flow and the story shows itself again. Just start...

Welcome to the forum and may you write a thousand words today!

elij and Alan Aspie like this.
  4. elfridaauston87

elfridaauston87 Banned

Hey Elijah, welcome aboard.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello, Elijah!

I'm one of the moderators here, and I'd like to extend my welcome to the forum. It's very interesting to have so many members from all over the world, all interested in writing. I'm sure you'll find a good community here.

I see you're concerned about starting back to writing after a long time away. Many other members seem to be in the same situation, so you will find people who not only can empathise with your situation, but maybe give you a boost now and again, with their own stories about how things worked out for them.

Please feel free to explore around the forum and contribute to any ongoing discussions that take your interest.

Also, if you haven't already done so, please check out this link in particular : New Member Quick Start This is our guide specifically for our new members. It deals with the requirements you must meet before you can post your work in our Workshop area for evaluation and feedback from other members. This is a particularly popular part of the forum, but you need to have been a member for two full weeks, made at least 20 posts in various parts of the forum (these are anti-spam measures), and do at least two constructive critiques of other people's work for every piece of your own work that you post. The guide makes this clear, and also directs you to other areas of the forum you might find helpful.

If you are wondering what makes a constructive critique, this link is for you as well.
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

And last, you should read our Rules section. This can be found in the Information tab at the top of the page here, but here is a direct link to it. Forum Rules.

Anyway, do visit our sections on the main Community page, and explore what's hidden in the menu tabs as well. There is a lot under the hood!

And do enjoy yourself. Let us get to know you, and get to know our members. And if you encounter any problems, don't hesitate to 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do my best to help. (Just click my owl avatar, and click 'start a conversation.')

Have fun!

Cheers, Jan

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  6. Sheerah

Sheerah Member

My advice would be to set aside a time. Say half an hour to an hour when you won't be interrupted.
    See what happens. If nothing happens... Connect with someone on here who will be able to encourage you. I'm a believer in the more you write, the more you will want to write.
    Good luck. I look forward to seeing you on here...