1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

New Member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Laurin Kelly, Jun 14, 2016.

Hi there! I'm a fairly new author specializing in contemporary gay romance. My first novel will be released by Less Than Three Press on July 20th in both ebook and paperback. I've joined the forums to learn more about the business of selling books, and also to get more involved with the writing community.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Hello! How exciting, I wish I was at that point but its a long way off currently. I hope the book launch goes well!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

:supershock::supershock::supershock: What- what is it called? If this is m/m, I must read.
    Anyway, welcome to the madhouse! :D
    It's nice to see someone already in the biz here. You'll fit right in. I'd love to hear some tips on how to get where you are, as someone younger and inexperienced.
    Here's your links;
    https://www.writingforums.org/rules/.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/
    See ya'.:blowkiss::blowkiss:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  4. Laurin Kelly

Thank you for the warm welcome! My novel is Under the Knife, and it comes out on July 20th. Right now it's available for pre-order on Less Than Three Press's website, but once released it will be on Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, iTunes, etc.

As far as how to get where I am, I just wrote my book and then closely followed the submission guidelines of my publisher. I'm sure it's much more difficult to get noticed at a big publishing house, but smaller niche publishers are often looking for unsolicited manuscripts. It helps to be very open to critique - I wound up taking a double POV to single POV based on my editor's advice and had to re-write about 1/3 of UTK, but it made the book so much better and tighter.

5. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hi Laurin, Welcome to the forum :superhello:

And congrats on your upcoming novel! You're already where I and a lot of others on the forum hope to be someday soon, so well done and I wish you success.
    I just looked your book up on your publisher's website and read the synopsis and the excerpt. I gotta say the concept is interesting, and this is coming from a guy who's not into the romance genre at all - gay or straight- yet reading the excerpt kinda made me want to read more.

Anyway. Good luck with you're writing and I hope you find the forum useful - I'm pretty sure you will, it's an awesome forum:D.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Laurin Kelly

Thank you very much! The thing about UTK is that it's about 30% romance and 70% about the cooking competition, so there's a lot to enjoy even if romance isn't someone's usual cup of tea. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who thinks cooking is boring though!

Fernando.C and Oscar Leigh like this.