1. MountainBiker

MountainBiker New Member

Saying(s) at the bottom of posts

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by MountainBiker, Jun 26, 2008.

'Noobie' here: I don't know if this has been addressed, but how do you get your favorite saying(s) to appear every time you make a post? I'm assuming there's a way to incorporate this into your preferences. (I don't have time to look through pages of posts trying to find the answer.) Thanks for your help!

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

This is the quick link: signature.

You can access it by going to the top of any page and clicking "User CP". From there, find "Edit Signature" in the menu on left side under "Settings & Options". Look for a few more helpful hints here. In addition, on the main page of the forum, there is a set of important links highlighted in blue.

2 people like this.
  3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm wondering if/why there isn't a limit set on the sig material, since some are so huge and over-brightly-colored that they're really annoying to have to be blasted with 'em, especially in a back-and-forth exchange involving those members on a single thread... their originators seem to not have learned that 'less is more' in advertising, as well as in all other forms of writing and seem to think big and obnoxious = better...

can the admin put the brakes on such stuff, or at least ask those with oversized messages/fonts to tone 'em down and spare the rest of us?

hugs, m

4. adamant

Already done. There is a new limit of 3 lines for the signature, however, it does not effect those whom had their signature posted before the change.

5. MountainBiker

MountainBiker New Member

Thanks! I thought it might be done as a sig, but after I saved it, it wasn't incorporated immediately into all of my previous posts, so I wasn't sure if that was it or not, or if maybe this message board doesn't do that, etc. :confused:

I also agree with Mammamaia—some of the sigs are overwhelming—especially given the fact that we're only allowed 3 lines of text. How do those rascals get all that stuff they've got into their sigs? I'll be happy to get a corny quote or two in there... :p

6. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

If you dislike everyone sigantures so much then disable them. I am sorry if everyone's signatures is not up to your taste, but everyone should be able to decorate their name as they see fit. A limit yes, because having 20 lines is ridiculous, but something like 10 lines I tink would be good.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Actually, I was surprised when I joined and saw how unrestricted signatures were here. It really is obnoxious to see 1 line posts with half a screenful of technicolor barf underneath.

A signature is on every single post, and unless you're a spammer, the sig is not the primary message of the post.

I'm in favor of reasonable restrictions.

8. mammamaia

why on earth not?... shouldn't all here be held to the same standards?... i don't see that a 'grandfather clause' has any merit in re this situation... what's your reasoning in allowing all the 'obnoxious' ones to remain?...

9. adamant

Ask Daniel, I had nothing to do with that rule. When I tried to change mine, I saw that I was limited to three lines of text.

10. Cogito

It's because the code that enforces the new rule only operates when the member edits the signature.

Going through thousands of existing members' signatures would be a huge effort.

11. adamant

Though, it could be handled by moderators asking those with excessively long signatures (at least the ones that post regularly) to conform to the new code.

12. Cogito

Like we don't have enough to do! :eek:

Seriously, we will probably only do that in extreme cases.

13. adamant

Doesn't seem like it would be a daunting task compared to the rest. I imagine there are only one or two people from the days of limitless signatures that would need a warning. All the newcomers will be subject to the established code -- they can't make anything longer than 3 lines.

Alternatively, you can just wait it out. Most of the people that have longer signatures change them quite often. Eventually, they'll be forced to be under code restrictions. But whatever, I'm not the one complaining.

14. mammamaia

would it be ok if those of us who find them so annoying to hit the 'report' button when spotted?... then the only work you'd have to do is let the 'offender' know they need to change their stuff to conform to the 3-line rule...

and, on that subject, can there also be a pt size limit, please, to keep those huge, glaring, neon-hued things from blinding us and taking up so much page space?...

15. Cogito

You don't need permission to use the report button - it doesn't guarantee that action will be taken, only that the issue will be investigated.

If something is reported that isn't an issue after all, no harm is done.

As for a font size limit, Daniel will have to decide.

16. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

While I agree, sometimes the signatures can be a little much, I also feel that if everything is restricted the site is going to become far too strict and it will discourage new members and already existing members.

I have been to a lot of other forum and the signatures on this one are nothing compared to them. I don't see why things should be altered. Maybe just restrict on length and font size. Only allow up to font size 4 or something. But seriously, I don't see the big deal. You don't have to view signatures if you have such a problem with it.

17. adamant

You know... I completely forgot about that option, Torana.

18. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am sorry but this thing on the signatures has been changed why ?? Was there like some poll I missed out on or something ??

I will not be changing my signature for one thing, if that means keeping it like this forever, then so be it. I like to have my name on it, and the message the I review, and my saying for the day, which I do not think is too much. People should have the right to decorate their name as they see fit.

Like I have allready said, and Torana pointed out, if you have a problem with the signatures, disable them.

19. mammamaia

how do you go about disabling them and yet keep your own [smallish one]?

20. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I've just disabled the signatures, so mine is no longer visible to me. But if you can still see my signature, maia, then it means even though I've disabled signatures, others can still see mine ... I just won't be able to.

Hopefully that solved the problem?

21. adamant

If it's still disabled, then it appears despite you not being able to see it.

22. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Merci for the confirmation.

23. mammamaia

thanks for the demo, but i still need to know where to find the diabling gizmo...

24. adamant

Enter your User CP
    Under "Settings & Options" > Edit Options
    Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"
    Uncheck "Show Signatures" and make sure to save your settings

25. mammamaia

???...'enter' as in 'go in'?... or as in 'type in' to something... in either case, where? ...and what the heck is my 'user CP'?

sorry to be so dense, but i'm a writer, not a techie... and an old one, to boot!... so most of the internet shortcuts/acronyms/terms are beyond me...