Tags:
  1. Lockart Lowe

Lockart Lowe New Member

New Query

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Lockart Lowe, Jul 27, 2021.

I am new to Writing Forums. Below is my query letter. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Dear Literary Agent,

I’m hoping that you will consider my 70,000-word dystopian novel, New You.

In the year 2082 the gap between the rich and the poor is cavernous. Technology has advanced so a person can 'swap' bodies with another. The rich, called Elites, use the working poor, Plebs, as personal trainers through body image exchange companies. Plebs diet and exercise their clients’ bodies to health, while the Elites indulge and pack pounds onto their swapped bodies.

Enter EVA BENNIS, a twenty something Pleb who hails from the Dakotas. In her desperately poor town, she is lucky enough to be chosen for a position as a body swapper, but blows the chance and is blackballed in the States, so she ends up in Nippon, the garbage dump of swapping.

Eva’s Swap, VANKA BEKKER, causes a terrible accident while on vacation in Fiji, trapping Eva in Bekker’s out of shape, aging body. Bekker, desperate to avoid prosecution and a lengthy recovery, bribes New You to swap her back right away. Eva isn’t having that and hightails it out of New You, hopping on the back of a passing delivery moto. As luck would have it the driver is HAICHIRU KIMURA, the leader of a network of people who have suffered at the hands of the Yakuza. Using his contacts in the network and motos, autos, steamers, and a bullet train, Eva and Haichiru race across Nippon and the Koreas to evade New You and their hired Yakuza thugs.

An adventurer in my younger years, I backpacked across Europe, worked as a camp counselor in Eastern Canada, and spent three years traveling and teaching English in Asia before returning to the States where I taught college English before choosing a provincial life as an elementary teacher in a small town in rural California. Now I tell stories to a rapt audience of little people every day. These days my adventures happen inside my overactive imagination as it roams free in the land of possibility.

I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration,

Ellen Lockart Lowe