1. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Old school

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by marcuslam, Mar 10, 2012.

Recently, the iPad 3 came out. Everyone was talking about it in my office. I've always been the other way around, though. Instead of pursuing the new, I'm quite stuck in the past. I love collecting old books, video games and whatever else I'm into. It's that challenge of finding what seemingly no longer exists. Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else here enjoys collecting retro items. Thanks!

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I think retro computer games are cool.

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I still have a 48K spectrum and the games that go with it lol however I like modern as well.

My favourite retro item is a small piece of vibrant yellow glazed slipware pottery from around the late 1700s. OK its broken but I found it and it is so funky, looks like something from the 1960s.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Is cooking from scratch retro? Sometimes it seems that way. I sometimes stone-grind my own grain for bread, especially if I want a coarse rye or whole wheat flour (graham flour) for a recipe. Also, I prefer old-style cooking methods and gear for some things. I have cast iron cookware I swear by, and when I bake beans I use traditional stoneware bean pots.

I also have old-school photo developing equipment I don't want to part with. When I decided to learn photography, I made myself work exclusively with black and white, and do all my own processing (film and prints) until I felt I was ready to step up to color on the same basis.

But for most things, I tend to favor new technology. Not bleeding edge new, but new proven tech.

5. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

I have a thing for ancient books. Not old plain bound books, but the ones that are bound with embossed/gilded covers and fancy print. I love the feel of a book in my hand. However, I also love my technology and how easy it is to access whatever book I want to read next. I love the ability to keep my life at my fingertips, but I'll never give up my pencil and leather bound day planner, even if it is fake leather. I guess I just love it all.

6. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Thanks for the replies!

That's cool, Cogito. When I was in college, I had a chance to process black and white photos by hand, too. I'm no photographer, but that was still a nice experience.

7. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

Not as cool as old video games but I do like to collect old currency. Especially quarters minted before 1964 because they are actually worth more than 25 cents and are no longer supposed to be in circulation.

8. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Actually, cerb123, I think collecting old currencies is at least as cool as old video games! Share a photo or something if you like. I've been meaning to do the same, but I've been lazy.

9. cerb123

cerb123 New Member

I have a 500 Million mark from the Wiemar Republic(Germany post WW1, Pre-Hitler) My Great Grandmother converted everything she owned into a single bill before coming over to America only to find out that 500 Million was about $8.50 at the time so she just kept it because she thought it would be funny later on. That's the second oldest thing that I have, the oldest is a 1890 dime.

10. Tessie

Tessie Contributor Contributor

And compared to quarters nowadays, 1964s are heavier and more aesthetically pleasing. Because I work as a service clerk, I always keep my eyes open for those quarters, and I just like knowing the fact that they're worth their weight. Sterling silver is sterling silver.

My mother likes to collect old bills. I found her a $10 bill fron 1934 once. You could tell it had been through time.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, I remember when they switched over to the "sandwich" quarters. All the coin op vending machines had to be upgraded to work with the new coins.