1. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz New Member

What are employers looking for?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Blackwaltz, Jun 19, 2011.

I've been trying to break into content writing and advertising for a while (need to make some extra cash) but I don't have anything to send them except fiction pieces. What are these companies looking for?:confused::confused::confused:

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Oooh I'm a reporter and I've had a little experience with advertising, hopefully I can help....

First of all, have you emailed the hiring person with your cover letter and resume? This is the number one step, and make sure it looks professional and that you've got strong verbs: i.e. words like "managed," "employed," (in the sense of using something, not just hiring someone), "executed," "created," "designed" etc are much more promising than verbs like "did," "was" etc.

Then you should try and get an interview...include something in the end of the email like "You can reach me at _____ (phone and email). I look forward to discussing a potential interview with you within the next week." Sound confident and professionally assertive, but NOT pushy. One follow-up phone call is good, but don't be timid or annoying, and don't bug them by bombarding them multiple times.

At the interview, you'll want to bring a portfolio. Fiction writing might give them a snapshot of your writing capabilities, which are HUGE in the PR/advertising fields, but don't do overload with fiction if that's not related to the job. Bring your best piece. Also, make some ads and brochures to bring, even if they weren't made for hire previously. It works best to make some for the organization you're interviewing for, but make sure to do good on them.

Also, research the company and be able to discuss ideas for innovation at the interview. Future employers like this.

Hope I helped...let me know if you want more info!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the above is good advice... but what companies are looking for will be pretty well spelled out in their job requirements, so instead of asking here, check out each company's hiring page...

4. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

Have you considered Technical Writing? I've been a tech writer for a bit over a decade and have found we are always in demand.

Writing magazine articles and online help is great for putting into your CV.

5. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz New Member

This is all really good advice. Thanks! i have not considered technical writing... what exactly do you do?

6. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

A technical writer produces manuals, guidelines, procedures, policies and instructions for companies. It can include writing tenders or producing marketing material as well.

It's dry work and to be honest often regurgitating information provided to you but they are needed in every industry there is.

In industry, a tech writer will take information from engineers and design data and produce (translate lol) information for a target audience. Engineers are rarely good communicators, so the tech writer will turn their information into something normal people can read.

In IT or software industries, it is often specification writing or writing online help (that information you get when you click on the '?' button).

Every company needs policies and guidelines, and this has to be at least checked by someone that isn't from a marketing department.

Some sort of work experience will help, but it's not a prerequisite. Many countries recognise technical writing as a trade and offer a certificate course in it, though in Australia this is not the case as yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. Blackwaltz

Blackwaltz New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into that.