1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

more site glitches?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by mammamaia, Oct 19, 2011.

why is the site info section at the bottom of the page now, when it's really needed up at the top, for new members to find when they first get here?

also, I couldn't get threads to open today and everything's terminally slow loading again...

just when we thought it was safe to go into the water....................:(

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Not sure about the Site Info section, I was wondering about that myself.

But my loading times are fine. Are you sure it's not your connection maia?

3. mammamaia

yes, i'm sure, since all else is working fine and loading is fast on the other sites i go to... it seems to be better now, though...

also, the alert button is hard to find now... was better before, in red and white... can that be taken care of?

i hope the site info section can be moved back to where it's needed most...

hugs, m

4. the1

the1 Active Member

I presume moving that section was intended.

This is a Writing site. So when people come to the site it would be nice for the first thing for them to see is the Writing Section.

5. mammamaia

sorry, but i don't agree... it's important that new members and visitors to the site see the introduction section and read the site's rules 'n regs first, not last... so i doubt daniel would have moved it on purpose... we've just been having a slew of probs since he switched to a new system and this is one of the latest glitches... i'm sure it'll be back up where it belongs soon...

6. the1

the1 Active Member

I'd hazard a guess that the move was intentional. Not saying it won't be reverted though..

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

The move of the site information section was intentional. I do think that the writing sections/forums should be at the top of the site. I'm going to see how this goes for a few weeks - we may revert back.

As for loading times, I'm not having any issues. Is anyone else?

8. mammamaia

the trouble with putting the site rules 'n regs and intros down at the bottom is that newcomers to the site will start posting their work before they've introduced themselves and gotten basic info about the site... which will make more work for the mods, in having to close down posts that don't follow the rules...

btw, i'm still having trouble with the text 'sliding' out of view when i'm typing a long post... is anyone else noticing that?

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I agree with maia that the site info/rules section should be at the very top.

Also, I just logged in and got an "invalid redirect url" error. Is there a way to fix that?

10. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I did add additional relevant links to the "Important Links" section on the top of the sidebar on the forum home. They might still overlook it, but I'm not convinced new members used the site announcement forum much at all. I'll probably leave it as it is for a few weeks and see what the public perception is, as well as look for an influx of new members not reading the rules/guidelines.

11. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    I have had that problem to. I would be typing a log post and have to publish it to look for errors before I go back to edit it. Also, I think that anyone new member who had common sense would know that a forum comes with rules and a new member section. They would then go about looking for the New members section and if they pay attention to email/pm the rules and expectations.

12. mammamaia

unfortunately, 'common sense' is an oxymoron on a par with 'military intelligence' and 'jumbo shrimp'!

daniel:
    i'm also having to put up with umpteen tries to get into a section or thread, still getting that 'this program cannot...' notice interminably... what can be done about that?