1. Markmd

Markmd New Member

New to the site please assist

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Markmd, Jun 3, 2014.

Hi I am new to this forum and I am here to find out if my writing is worth perusing. I have attached 20 pages of my first focused work.

Please assist me in how I can post this in the correct category of this forum.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)

The information you want is in the New Member Quick Start where you'll find links to the Forum Rules, and the FAQ.

Have fun! :D

Wrey

3. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Consider this a kind of massive study group. Some members are published writers but most of us are, like me, still in the "aspiring" category. We share what we experience and what we learn. From experience, you will learn who has a valid basis for what they say and who doesn't.

As a study group, each member is responsible for contributing to the whole. If you follow the links Wrey has posted, you'll find that you have to wait a bit before you can be critiqued, but you can critique others immediately. That's because the value of the workshop isn't so much in being critiqued by others as in learning to critique yourself. You will then be in a better position to edit your own material. Sort of like that old saying about if you give a starving man a fish, you feed him for a day but if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck.

cutecat22 likes this.
  4. Markmd

Markmd New Member

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to this.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Markmd! You've definitely come to the right place. This is an excellent forum for writers. Look around the forum and participate in the discussions - you'll see what we're all about. :)

6. Markmd

Markmd New Member

Sorry last one. What is the difference between commenting and critiquing ... is there a special button I need to click?

7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Critique of longer pieces happens in the Writer's Workshop. That's the one you need to be here 2 weeks and have 20 posts to put your own stuff in. In the meantime you also need to critique 2 other people's work there so take a look, see what gets posted, add your own comments.

Elsewhere people ask questions, discuss issues and what not.

Welcome. :)