1. yamgo

yamgo New Member

Hello from Germany

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by yamgo, Jun 11, 2020.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to writing, having only started a few days ago. I'm a big fan of fantasy and romance and read so many great books recently that it made me want to write one of my own.
    I'm hoping to gain insights and techniques required to be a writer by participating in this forum.
    As English isn't my mother language I'm also always looking for good ways to structure sentences and use correct expressions and punctuations.

Thanks for having me.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Welcome. Fantasy and romance are pretty popular here, so hopefully you've found your people. There's some other cool stuff like a monthly book club and writing contests that you might want to check out. Look forward to seeing more of you.

Cdn Writer, yamgo and Xoic like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Ah, the land of my ancestors! Yes, we share lederhosen, polka music, and wienerschnitzel in our DNA. 'Kugelschrieber' however is an imposter.* :cool: And your English, from the little I've seen, is excellent. Velkommen! (I don't actually know the language—surprised I spelled it right the first time!)

* Actually I don't know his ancestry, he might be as German as I am...

Some Guy, jannert, Cdn Writer and 2 others like this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @yamgo, and welcome from me. I hope you've found your tribe.

Some Guy, Cdn Writer and yamgo like this.
  5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Willkommen. :)

Nächster Bahnhöfe, Berliner Straße. Übergang mit U-Bahnlinie drei und S-Bahnlinie zwei.

Several years spent in Berlin before and after the fall of the wall. That U-Bahn spiel is still stuck in my head.

Oh, and zurück blieben! :-D

6. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I probably am, though fully naturalized. But still, there's talk of noble blood on my grandmother's side, a certain von Lienenschloss who married beneath his station and was disinherited. All for love, and they subsequently emigrated by steamer.
    Of course, that was many years ago, but sometimes I fancy that the blood of feudal barons runs in my veins.

Cdn Writer, yamgo and Xoic like this.
  7. Xoic

Showoff! :rolleyes:

And yeah, I knew Wreybies wouldn't get it wrong, so I checked, and it turns out I indeed spelled it right—in Norwegian! :meh: Ach du lieber!!

Cdn Writer, yamgo and Wreybies like this.
  8. Xoic

Apparently my last name means forehead or brow in German, and when I looked deeper into it, criminals used to be branded on the forehead so they couldn't hide the mark. The name could refer to that in an ancestor, or possibly a fine high forehead—mark of distinction, breeding, and intelligence. We do have high foreheads.

There's also talk of nobility—my sister memorized this but I hardly remember it. A Baroness Wilhelmina Katerina (many other names) Sprach.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

The most eye-twitchingly typical mispronunciation of my surname turns it into the Spanish word for forehead in the plural.

Fuentes = Fountains
    Frentes = Foreheads

10. Xoic

Hah!
    [​IMG]
    Here's a hearty head-butt across the Gulf! (AKA Heads Across the Water)

11. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Willkommen!

I spent much of my youth in Germany (Frankfurt am Main, to be specific) from the age of nine to eighteen. I actually wore lederhosen and spent my pfennigs in the trinkhallen, I've forgotten most of my German now, after half a century, and I'm told I wouldn't recognize the city now. But there's a part of me that's stayed in Ginnheim, and always will.

yamgo and Cdn Writer like this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi yamgo

I'm one of the forum moderators here, and I want to welcome you to the forum.

It sounds like you've fallen into a nest of German speakers, so you'll feel right at home. :) I'm always in awe of people who can not only speak more than one language, but write coherently in more than one language as well. I'm impressed. Fantasy and Romance are popular genres here, so I suspect you'll soon make other connections as well.

I'm also impressed that you do a lot of reading, which has inspired you to try writing yourself. I have to confess that's what got me writing as well. I wanted to see if I could. Turns out I can. :) Writing my novel was the most fun I've ever had sitting down. 'They' do say you should write the book you'd like to read, so I'm sure you'll soon be on your way.

In order to help you get oriented and get settled, here are a couple of links I strongly recommend that you read at the start, if you haven’t already. They will give you a good idea of how we operate here on the forum:

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

You will notice in the New Member Quick Start that in order to post your work in the Workshop area—the only area of the forum where you are allowed to post your work and ask for feedback—you will need to do at least two critiques for other people, in exchange for receiving feedback on one of your own pieces of work.

This site is designed around the concept of members helping each other out by ‘paying it forward’—through our two-for-one critique system. So do two critiques, THEN you can post something of your own. This advance 2:1 ratio lasts as long as your membership here—although it is your own responsibility to keep track of your own ratio. The software doesn't keep track of it for you, beyond your first two critiques.

In order to help you get started doing critiques, here is a link to a good article written by one of our former moderators: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

One of the popular areas of our forum is our contest section. There is a monthly contest running for Short Stories, Flash Fiction and Poetry. You can enter these ongoing contests, even as a new member. And we really encourage you to visit the site, read the current entries, and vote for your favourite when the voting period starts. This means a lot to the people who have written these entries. And it will also give you a good idea of what our members are capable of writing.
    https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

While the Role Playing Game section is not new, it’s being given a revamp. So if you are interested in playing and writing Role Playing Games, you might want to visit this section and get in on the fun. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/resurrecting-the-dead-rpg-section-rebuild.165055/

I hope you have fun getting to know us and let us get to know you, via the posts you make. Please feel free to explore the forum. There is a lot under the hood. This site map might help you find your way around more quickly than the menu bars do, so feel free to use it. https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties, don’t hesitate to contact me or one of the other moderators, whose names appear in yellow at the bottom of the Community page. We will be glad to help.

Again, welcome!

Cheers for now,
    Jan

yamgo likes this.