1. Chesca

Chesca New Member

Another Canadian eh?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chesca, May 10, 2009.

Hi everybody!

My name is Francesca (most people call me Chesca or Frankie; I really don’t have a preference) and I’m 25 years old. I live with my boyfriend of a very long time and two beautiful cats, in a suburb about 20 miles from downtown Montreal (Quebec, Canada).

I’ll start by telling you a bit about myself. I come from a family of English teachers so it’s safe to say I’ve had a love for reading and writing from a very young age. I remember a few of the first books I read, like the Dick and Jane series (see Spot run! See Jane run! See Dick run!) My boyfriend would brag that he skipped straight to adult literature, but, I feel like these children’s books really played a part in turning me into the writer that I am today. Wow, that sounds kind of corny doesn’t it? Moving on …

I’ve been browsing this forum for what seems like a month, a little nervous to make my first post. That’s really not me. Normally I dive right in to things, but for some reason once I got here I decided to dip a toe in first; really see what this forum is all about before announcing my presence.

What I like about this community is the importance that is placed on reviewing. My decision to join your site was based on this. When I was in English or creative writing class I really enjoyed helping my peers with their work, not only because it’s gratifying to offer some out of the box advice but also rewarding in terms of the affect it had on my own writing. Brainstorming is exciting to me, looking at a piece from multiple different angles gets my creative juices flowing. I think I’ve found my home! Of course, my initial reviews will probably lack in some areas. That’s a given. And that’s another thing I like about this forum … you don’t have to be good at everything but it’s important to be open to improvement, to change, to discussion.

Posting my work will not be among the first things I do here :) (big shout out to Cogito in advance for having created such a helpful template). This is partly because I’m intimidated (I don’t generally show people my work) and partly because I strongly agree with the 2-review mandate, in fact, I think it’s more than fair.

Lastly: To give you an idea of my writing habits, I’m the kind of person who writes an email and re-reads it 5 times over before sending it out. Having said that you should find my posts easy to read, but slightly long winded!

Looking forward to meeting everyone eh!
    Chesca

2. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

We are the people the children we were grew up to be so it isn't corny at all.

Welcome and enjoy!

3. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

hi Francesca, welcome to the forums
    what genre do you write?

4. TheHedgehog

TheHedgehog Contributor Contributor

Hey Chesca! Welcome to the WF. I'm TheHedgehog but Hedge is fine. :-D I am thirteen years old and a guy, but I know we already have one mutual interest: writing and reading (or is that two? :3). Haha, anyways, what are your hobbies other than literature. What music do you like? Be sure to refer me to any of your work as soon as you post it, and feel free to contact or PM me.

Later.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Francesca, and Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Because I know you've really read through my standard introduction, I won't bore you by repeating it.

Enjoy your stay here, and do have a lot of fun!

6. Chesca

Chesca New Member

Tall and weird – You make a very good point! Love the profile pic by the way it’s eerie in a precious way.

Fantasygirl – I just got back into writing after a few years of not putting anything down on paper, so I’m really getting my feet wet again. I’m open to all genres except FanFiction (not really my thing). To give you a more direct answer though, I’d say realistic fiction in the form of prose whether it’s a short story or long one. I might be mislabeling my genre though, since I’ve been ‘out of the game’ and highschool for awhile. Well, ya gotta start back up somewhere right!

The Hedge – Hedgehogs are cute!! Hobbies: When I was your age, and right through my teens I actually raced high performance go-karts as a hobby. It got a little expensive, so my new hobbies are Irish dancing, doing art, and writing (all more affordable!) Music: Everything! I can find a few songs in every genre that I enjoy, from opera to rap to country. My favorite music to listen to when I’m just relaxing though, would be acoustic guitar/piano based songs. I’m looking forward to checking out what you’ve posted, and when the times comes that I’m no longer shy to show my work you’ll be one of the first I contact!

Cog – you’re right, I have read through it a skajillion times! (I think I once saw you coin that term :)) I’m really honored to be here, and look forward to reading everyone’s work (rather, reading then reviewing). I really like the templates you’ve set up especially the “reviewing as a creative art” template … to excel as a writer you need to be able to take someone else’s piece apart and analyze it from different angles, and that really is an art form. The last time I reviewed or critiqued a piece of writing I was in high school, so, I really can’t wait to get started! Thanks for the helfpul jumping points.

Anyway, enough babbling for me! Can’t wait to meet the rest of you, everyone here seems really warm and welcoming.

7. TheHedgehog

Yeah. Hedgehogs have always been my favorite animal. In fact, I have one. If you like piano/acoustic guitar, then I think Perpetual Groove would be an awesome band for you (they're from my state and are very good). Good stuff for driving in the car or writing to. Can't dance to save my life, but that's just me :O. Oh, and Hedge is fine. :rolleyes:

8. The Viendish One

The Viendish One New Member

>=( Stay away from my maple syrup.

Just kidding but seriously, I'm very territorial 'bout my syrup.

BTW what stories did you read as a kid? The Hobbit really influenced me in my writing.

9. Chesca

Chesca New Member

Hedge - I'll have to look them up! If they're anything like their name I'm sure I'll enjoy them. Any particular song you'd recommend that I start out with? Hey I noticed you're into cooking -- I didn't think to mention I am as well (as of recently). What do you like to cook?

Viendish - Mmm maple syrup ... I have never been able to stomach anything but the real kind -- you agree? None of that Aunt Jemima growing up, my father (despite being Italian) thinks squeeze bottle syrup is blasphemous hehe

When I was a child, it's funny you should mention it but I really enjoyed the Hobbit. While I was young my father would read a few pages to my brother and I before bed (we went through the entire series over the course of a few years). From my mother I remember one of the first classics I read as being Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. It's lovely to look back and see how those books formed who you are, and even more lovely to re-read them (like recently I flipped back through The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe).

Nice meeting you all!

10. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

Hi and welcome :)

11. Chesca

Chesca New Member

Hi Dalouise, pleased to meet you!

12. TheHedgehog

As far as their song recommendations go, TSMM, Teakwood Beatz, Mr. Transistor, and Long Past Settled in are all good. As far as cooking, anything, really, but I'll gravitate to anything Asian. O_O

13. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

It's from an old Playstation ad called Double Life. I think it's up on YouTube if you're interested.

And I totally agree with the eerie but possibly because of the way the kid says their lines in the ad... :)

14. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Hi, Chesca or Frankie--

Glad to see you. There're so many nooks and crannies here to explore, aren't there? I'm fairly new, too, but it looks to me like there's surely a place for everyone here! Hope you enjoy it!