1. Justin Phillips

Justin Phillips Active Member

New WIP- Reboot

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 16, 2016.

-----------------------------------
    4-16-16
    -----------------------------------

Ok, I decided to start a progress journal for my new WIP, called Reboot. It will be a sci-fi action novel.

Short description:

Nick Miller wakes up on a medical table, unable to speak or move. After a special in-house concoction of an adrenaline shot, he bolts up on his table and finds the room littered with scientists and other lifeless bodies on several medical tables around him. He learns that he is part of a special ops program, codenamed "Reboot" which uses discovered alien technology to create lifeless clones of their agents. When an agent dies, his consciousness is uploaded into a new "doll" (working name for the meat suits). The orginal body of course, is kept as backup, or in case of termination from program.

Nick doesn't remember being in any part of such a program, and in fact the last thing he remembers is going to bed in his apartment the night before. He soon learns that that did not in happen the night before, but three whole years ago. He had been apart of this program for three years, and recently was killed. The last time he died, his memory chip was damaged, and they had to resort to using backup data from the first time he was activated as an agent. Unable to remember the last three years, he teams up with his partner Kate, to continue the work that they had started together- fighting the unknown alien invasion (that could also change, but they need to fight something)

Kate and Nick were actually in love, but he is unable to reciprocate these feelings, having no memory of ever knowing her. Part of the story will be that tension, she is still madly in love with him, but has to standby helplessly as he is interested in other women, and what-not. We will see if they get back together ;)

I have an opening halfway written down, so my first task in this journal is to finish that.
    ----------------------------------------
    *update - 4-18-16 -*
    ---------------------------------------

Ok, I think I have a pretty good opening finished. It was quite a task and even got its own thread in writing prompts forum about how difficult the process was. (That's a note to future me to be able to go find it years from now when I'm reviewing my journey. )

OK so on to the next goal. I need to finish brainstorming my main plot, and update my syonosis.

--------------------------------------
    *update- 4-19-16-*
    --------------------------------------

Have come along a bit with my overall story plot. I now know what the reboot program is used for, and who the main bad guy is. He has no name yet, or motives, but that will come.

I decided that each agent has a limited number of dolls to download into before having to download into their original body. This is why Nick wakes up at the beginning with no memory of the last three years. In a fight with big baddie, he used up all 10 dolls, downloaded into his body, and then recklessly went back for more, to save his fellow agent and love interest, Kate. He is successful in saving Kate, but dies in the process. The dolls take about a month to regenerate, so a month later after his death, they decide to revive him by using an new doll and the memory sample they took three years ago when he first enlisted. Basically, this is like bringing someone back to life, he will spend the rest of his life living in a doll, and never have his real body to go back to. Of course there are moral problems with bringing someone back that is already dead, so there will be a good reason that they absolutely need him back, besides the fact that he's a pretty damn good agent.

Ok, still working to finish the plot, so hopefully will have a full sypnosis soon.

*update- 4-20-16*

It's my birthday! ok I have the overall story arch worked out. Now I can FINALLY make it past my opening. Woo hoo!

*didn't see any point in bumping my post with little to no important updates.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Justin Phillips

Need to research what it feels like to get an adrenaline shot, and where they administer it.

Also, need to read a book. My flow is not working right now. Can anyone recommend a good action book? Doesn't have to be sci-fi. Love action adventures.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Have you ever had local anesthesia given to you at the dentist? It often also contains epinephrine, close kin to adrenaline. You feel flushed, instant increase in heart rate and a strange pressurized feeling in the head and skin.

4. Justin Phillips

No, not that I remember, but in my quick look at google, people relate it to the epi-pen, so that makes sense. The dose he will get will not be as strong as needed for a heart attack, though, so I think something similar to what you mentioned or an epi pen might do. When the dolls get activated, it's like waking out of a coma, groggy and no motor functions, but without the muscular atrophy. I assume the adrenaline shot will get them going, but that's honestly completely made up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016