1. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

A respectful bow of the head to my new found community..and...HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bruce James, Jul 14, 2016.

Hello ...hello...hello...

I'm an old guy-(52)-who spent his life doing the right thing, working for 'the man' while raising a family. I've got a lot of stuff in my head and a fair amount on my hard drive that I think is a good foundation for writing. But I know I need a lot of work.

So. I'm looking for others to learn from, and I'm happy to offer my advice as well. So, young and old-experienced and not; let's be friends and help each other find a life that is free of bosses and other people's schedules.

Oscar Leigh and Brindy like this.
  2. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

Hello Bruce James! Bruce James... Bruce James... Bruce James...
    Welcome, how nice to meet you. I'm exactly half your age and I'm about to start working for "the man" and raise a family and stuff. Who does this guy think he is, anyway?!
    Don't worry! Everyone knows/feels his work needs a lot of work. Anyone worth mentioning, anyway.
    I hope you have a spot in your wardrobe for the uniform Oscar Leigh is about to present you, it's quite a hassle to write in I assure you.
    I'm sure everyone is looking forward to reading your posts and knowing you're reading theirs, have fun! And who knows, you might actually reach the independence you're looking for :)

Bruce James, Oscar Leigh and Brindy like this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

...hello...hello...@Bruce James

I'm not quite your age (which isn't old), am working for the man—but that endeavour won't be for too much longer. Have you retired early and made space for writing? Have you got a snippet I could read?

4. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Thanks, Crusher. The Oscar Leigh thing flew over my head. I can be dense at times. I look forward to keeping in touch. Oh-and good luck with the family thing. Trust me, with a writer's imagination, it can be a lot of fun.

5. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Seth,
    Thanks for your response my friend. I haven't retired early, unfortunately. But I am making more time to write. In fact, I need to build a full structure, or platform so that hopefully the writing will take off and provide much needed retirement resources. In fact, I like writing a lot and so I hope to never retire from it. It's something I really enjoy. They say "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life." The trick is getting to a point where the writing generates income. That's what I want to do eventually, and soon.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but,,,this is the internet. One needs to be careful. Maybe you can provide an answer to one of my questions as it relates to sharing work for advice. How does one do that and protect his original work? I really am very ignorant about the business aspects of writing, and an unfinished work is of course, not going to be a registered copyrighted piece.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Hi Bruce, please do not refer to yourself as 'old' as I have more years to my history but anyone trying to call me old will be seriously dealt with.

The 'Oscar Leigh' thing will make sense when @Oscar Leigh gets on line. Enjoy finding your way around the forum.

Oscar Leigh and Bruce James like this.
  7. SethLoki

Saved me a whole bunch of bunch-fingered typing there @Carly Berg . Thanks from me and my weary digits for saying what I would have said (only with more clarity).

@Bruce James t'was but a snippet I was noseying for so I could get a measure of your style and see where you're at. I'm a bit of a middleweight in this game; I can help at word level for the simpler stuff but only express appreciation and feedback in the general sense for the more accomplished pieces.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Thanks, Carly.
    That makes sense. I figured it was one of those rookie concerns, but wasn't sure of the thought process and the community protections, if you will.
    I feel almost 29 again! Ugh, where's my cane....

9. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Seth,

I hope my initial response didn't seem unappreciative. Very much the opposite; my whole purpose to finding this place was to find comrades and advice so I can be part of a trusted group. How would I go about sending you a snippet?

Thanks

10. CrusherBrooks

CrusherBrooks Member Supporter

You mean your pimp cane which you twirl around while you hold your feathered hat, strolling down the road 'cuz u da bauws? I believe you left it in the attic, behind that old box where you keep the photo albums.
    Don't worry, voice your concerns freely. If they're warranted it's good that you asked. If not, you can only get a better explanation ;)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Lol--no, I meant my HurryCane that I got at discount through my AARP membership! I found it. It was in the back seat of my Gran Torino.
    Thanks Crusher.

Thanks, Crusher. No-I meant my HurryCane. I got it on discount through the AARP. But I found it. It was in my Gran Torino.

Thanks, Cru---oh, dear. Time to take my Ensure.

Oscar Leigh and CrusherBrooks like this.
  12. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Warm welcomes Bruce!

I was just about to go into work mode and I caught this and had to respond.

To begin with, most of my favourite people in real life and those that I have encountered online, are in their 50s. They're not old! They're just well-lived. ;) I could listen and read for hours what they have to say. So I do hope you share your life experiences here as I'm always interested.

With regards to writing, I do hope you find what you are looking for here as we're a warm and caring crowd. There is something for everyone, and if not, then don't be shy and start a thread!

Anyway, I look forward to reading your works and I highly recommend entering and voting in the WF biweekly competitions: https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

Have fun,

Linny

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Lol-yeah!

14. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Thank you Linny. I've got a lot to explore here, that's for sure.

15. SethLoki

Course not @Bruce James understandably more wary than unappreciative. You can go to inbox (top right) and start a conversation if you prefer a private pair of eyes on your work/play. Or if you want (there's a bit more of an overhead with this one (but it'll help you improve*)) you can head on into the workshop, pick a genre and critique someone's offering. When you get to a certain post count (I think) it's possible then to submit a more than a snippet of your own stuff for review.

* some say (and I subscribe) that critiquing is more enriching than being critiqued.

16. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Guess this is the perfect opportunity to introduce myself.
    I'm the man.

Get back to work.

17. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    Sorry I was sleeping, time differences you see.
    Now, don't worry, you're not old. You're just getting there. :p
    As promised, here is your lovely free member's uniform;
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    Take this link so you can learn those ins and outs; https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/.
    See you soon! :blowkiss:

18. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Normal service has been resumed, @Oscar Leigh is on watch.

19. Bruce James

Bruce James Member

Why, thank you.
    I needed a new one-my white one was getting worn, and of course-it's after Easter. Best to stay away from earth tones this time of year.

Oscar Leigh likes this.