1. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

New Writing Term...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Sack-a-Doo!, Apr 24, 2016.

I'm a big believer in Dwight V. Swain's techniques with his scenes and sequels and motivation/reaction units, etc.

Scene = real time action with goal, conflict and disaster
    Sequel = reflective moment with reaction (to the previous disaster), dilemma and decision (which becomes the goal for the next scene)

While walking with my wife this morning, she came up with a new term that fits in with this. I was complaining (I'm a writer, okay?) about the road map I'm building for the next draft of my WIP because I'd outlined a scene, but then realized it had a sequel within the scene. It's one of those moments where, as a writer, you skip ahead and then do a quick summary to catch the reader up: The next morning, the MC is in bed with his dream girl. The reader goes: Huh? How the hell did that happen? So, the author does a quick summation of the events that lead there.

With me so far?

So, I was saying to my wife, "What the hell do you call a scene that contains a mini-sequel?

Without batting an eye, she said, "A sneak-quel."

So, there you have it. A new writing term.

Sneakquel = a scene into which you sneak a sequel

I'm not sure what to call the sequel into which I sneaked a scene, though. (sigh) Perhaps I'll go for another walk with my wife this afternoon.

pyroglyphian likes this.
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Subtle Foreshadowing, maybe? Foresight. Predetermined. I am not really sure. :p

I am not too familiar with the type of scene/flash forward scene in writing or reading. Typically in my exp. the scene is foreshadowed, and then it plays out in more complexity. And on occasion if it calls for it a brief blurb explaining to usually another character, the events that led up to the reason the interaction took place. Perhaps the type of scene/sequel thing you are talking about is in mystery or in crime thrillers? IDK, little lost on what you are going for on this one.

3. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I didn't explain this very well, so I think you'd have to read Swain's Techniques of the Selling Writer to really understand what I'm talking about. My fault, not yours, but having just got back from a long walk with my wife, I'm too tired to go into detail. :)

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Fair enough. :)

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  5. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

From what I have read in blogs I like Dwight V. Swain's techniques.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.