3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. On occasion, but not this year.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

New Year's Resolutions 2016

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by KhalieLa, Jan 4, 2016.

In 2016 I resolve not to watch TV at home. I don't know if this counts as a very good resolution since I'm not sure I watched the thing in 2015, but just to be certain I have put it in the closet for the year. (I'd like to say that I won't watch any TV in 2016, but my parents always have the TV so when/if I visit I will be viewing TV whether I want to or not.)

What are your resolutions for the coming year?

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Continue to not listen to Rap, Pop, or Country unless it is outside of my control. To listen to new and exciting music from the inter web. That's it. :p

3. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

In our house, we gave each other new year's resolutions this year. Mine is to be tidier, as I have a terrible habit of leaving trails of mess behind me. Not dirt, just STUFF that I haven't put away.

4. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Be able to read Japanese at a N1 or higher level so I can read my favorite author in advance of the English release of his works. (Started learning in November - can read basic stuff now.) Hit at least one million words in my WIP, be able to sketch from life without stiffness in my forms and have a child.

5. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

To become a better writer. Learn all these flippin technical writing words people keep using on here. To finish my novel and have at least one short story published. High goals I know, but hey, at least its something to work to.

Cave Troll, KhalieLa and Tenderiser like this.
  6. KhalieLa

KhalieLa It's not a lie, it's fiction. Contributor

1 million words? You know you only need 100K to be a novel right?

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Inks

Inks Senior Member

@KhalieLa - If my threads like "Extreme Worldbuilding", "Pandeism and Metempsychosis" and other threads were signs enough that my WIP is a bit odd. It is full of philosophy, religion, domestic and foreign strife, sex and detailed accounts of cultural arts. It is almost the length of LOTR now...

8. Narihira

Narihira New Member

Yay! I do too want to restart learning some Japanese, after successful working with kana and some basic kanji now I want a bigger challenge. Also in the writing department, I'd like to complete 2 chapters, at least, of my novel.

9. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I certainly don't make new years resolutions. I believe if you want to change something, why on earth should you wait for the new year? I mean, if you want to quite smoking, then try and quite smoking instead of putting for later. That's just what I think anyway....

10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Because choosing a 'fresh start' date for your change that is also a fresh start in another way (the start of a new year) is a psychological boost. It's the same psychology that means I have to start a new notebook for plotting each story.

The only serious new year's resolution I ever made was in 2007, when I decided to go vegetarian. Christmas, which at the time didn't feel right without turkey, was over, a new year was starting, and the timing felt right. I'm still vegetarian in 2016, so something worked.

11. Necronox

Necronox Contributor Contributor

I've done plenty of promises to myself, some I have kept and others I have blatantly broken, multiple times. I can understand wanting a 'fresh date', but you don't need to wait for the 1st of January to get a fresh date, you could just select any day you wish, tomorrow, end of the week or months, when you finish work, etc... and use that as your "fresh date", anything after that will be new and influence by you and not if it's a different year.

If you don't mind me asking and I hope I am not prying to much, what made you do the change to vegetarianism?

12. lastresort

lastresort Banned

to write a best-cellar, but ciriusly fokes I have moaners' block. I can't even think strait today.

Imaginarily likes this.