1. Aiden Baker

Aiden Baker New Member

Newbie Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aiden Baker, Sep 3, 2016.

Hello there! My name is Aiden Baker and I'm glad to be one of the newest members of this forum. I've been somewhat stalking this site for a little while now, contemplating when would be the best time to finally take the plunge. Naturally, I decided the start of my semester would be that optimal time. I figured that instead of procrastinating with Buzzfeed or YouTube, I'd try this instead. Hopefully help some people with their writing and forge some new friendships in the process. I'm looking forward to building some connections as I'm more than likely going to be moving to Canada next year (currently living in the US- and that's not just a Trump joke, I'm actually continuing my higher education there), so I'm looking for some constants in my life as I navigate through that process.

I do like to write (which probably doesn't come as a shock). Mostly these days, most of my writing consists of keeping a dream journal. Also, I'm currently collaborating with a friend on a supernatural novel. I experiment with different genres, but I generally prefer to write period pieces. I often feel like I was not born in the correct era, so I find it enjoyable working from different periods of history. My interest in period pieces also correlates with my literature preferences. I read a lot of historical non-fiction (primarily focused on medieval England and Europe, as well as parts of the American Civil War). I also have a particular interest in gender and economic inequality and LGBTQ narratives.

As I sort of alluded to, one of my primary objectives for this site is to critique and leave feedback. I've taken a few fiction courses while at my university and I have some workshop experience. If anyone would like to respond to this thread with a submission they'd like feedback on, I'd appreciate that because there seems to be an immense amount of writing to sift through. I definitely would like to respond to people who are active and want the feedback. I hope to post some writing of my own, but for now, I think this will be a great way to ease into things.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Hi, Aiden!

What part of Canada are you planning to move to?

3. Aiden Baker

Aiden Baker New Member

Probably either Ottawa or Montreal. I've applied to a few places so far. Thanks for the welcome by the way!

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Oooh, go to Montreal if you can! I did my undergrad at McGill and it was excellent - really fun city.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @Aiden Baker, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here. I live in the USA now, but I grew up in Canada (mostly Toronto and environs). I envy you for moving there!

This is a great forum for writers. Participate and have fun! :)

6. Aiden Baker

Aiden Baker New Member

Oh, McGill, that was one of the schools I was looking at. I've been mostly looking at the University of Ottawa because they have a graduate English program with a concentration in either gender or medieval studies. Also, my fiancé is currently there in graduate studies for French literature. However, we're keeping our options open to Montreal because it seems like such an incredible city and it's very clearly francophone for him.

Thanks for your advice! Did anything in particular prompt your move?

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I had an opportunity for a fascinating job in the entertainment engineering industry. :)

8. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Welcome to the forum. I do hope you enjoy yourself here, there are some great people here.

9. Aiden Baker

Aiden Baker New Member

Oh, very nice. I suppose that is a good reason to move. Perhaps one day you'll return to Canada!

Thank you, a lot of the people here really do seem friendly!