?

Is this worth fleshing out?

1. Yup. I’d read it

2. Nope. Weak sauce

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. merramber

merramber New Member

Newbie!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by merramber, Oct 11, 2021.

Hi everyone! Newbie here. You can call me Ber, merramber, Amber, hey you, or whatever nice thing floats your boat. I am completely new to this writing thing but am looking forward to getting some good feedback and tips. Maybe I’ll eventually write something worth reading!

The reason why I’ve decided to join is because I have begun writing a maybe future young adult book but I have no idea if this is even something that anyone would want to read.

So here’s the premise of the story, keeping in mind that I’m aiming for a middle school/ high school age group:

Angels are living amongst humans, unknown but still functioning in their angelic positions. Azriel, the angel of death, is working as a hospice nurse, easing humans gently into the afterlife. While in the course of her duties, she falls in love with a human and tells him everything- going so far as to show her true form to him. Her brother Gabriel finds out and, out of concern for the consequences, tells God. God gives the human a choice: Azriel can become human and live out her days with him or his memories of her will be wiped and Azriel will remain who she is meant to be. The human chooses to forget so that Azriel can be herself. Azriel, Gabriel, and some of their siblings then go on a quest to help the human recover his memories of Azriel so they can be together.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  2. ItzAmber

ItzAmber test

Hey merramber! I'm...Amber too. Welcome to the forum, so glad that you've decided to join us. Now on your story plot, it sounds like good one! I'm looking forward on reading your actual story soon.

merramber likes this.
  3. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Hi Amber! Welcome to the club. Folks try not to bite too hard around here, but they (we... I...) nip a little bit simply out of love. So exciting to hear you're writing your story. The premise sounds potentially interesting. The thing to consider when thinking about whether anyone would be interested in it is whether you are interested. If you are then it's worth writing. If you intend to publish and sell, a little market research for similar books might prove useful. From where I sit, I would question who your audience is and how closely you're sticking to the Abrahamic worldview. If you're writing Christian fiction, this may not go over very well. Now if you are considering it more fantasy drawing from Christian worldview, it may do a little better, but you may want to address the fact that Angels are generally considered divine beings with a near endless amount of power and presence. And an angel of death would likely have to be present or overseeing quite a lot more than one retirement center. Also, I think, as much as we like to consider God and the Angels as benevolent and compassionate, it may be hard to convince readers that God would let such an important decision rest in human hands. (RE the choice to turn the angel of death into a mortal.)

I'm not saying that your story can't be done. By all means, you can take many creative liberties as you need to. As you do, just be sure to consider these sorts of things. It reminds me a little of the Children of the Lamp series. It may be worth check-in out. Instead of angels, it's djinn. The author establishes the rules of that world and how magic and divinity work within their world. You'll want to do the same. I'd be interested to see how you do it.

Happy writing.

ItzAmber likes this.
  4. merramber

merramber New Member

Thanks for the heads up about the nipping lol. This is definitely going to be fantasy borrowing from Hebrew and Christian mythos. Even though I’m Christian, I’m not about to try and break into that genre. Don’t like reading it so I know I wouldn’t like writing it.

I’m aiming for suspension of beliefs a la Melissa De La Cruz’s Blue Bloods series (angels are vampires living it up in Manhattan) so divine power and mortals making massive decisions won’t be an issue. *She says tentatively and with huge amounts of uncertainty* :whistle:

I’ve never heard of that series. Will be looking that up! Thanks so much for the suggestions!

5. HARKNESS

HARKNESS Member

AAAALLOOHHHAAAA!!!
    Welcome to our little space on the Internet Amber!
    Although I am not the target audience of your book, I really like the premise and I will give it a read and give my own thoughts on it. I think it will be a great sappy romance!

merramber likes this.