Newcomer's Game - The Orb of Pyritus

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Love to Write, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Drake hissed out an affirmative, muscles quivering. "In my world, anyone trapped is considered dead. We kill ourselves before we allow any information to get to the enemy." his muzzle curled in a painful grimace as he remembered something. "I guess i broke that rule -but if i really was in a bind I would have killed myself by now. I don't give up easily.... not after they drove every female to extinction on our world." A dangerous light glinted in his eyes, but it was not focused on anyone in the room. To hear a reptile speak of humans as if he was one was almost disconcerting, and yet he had the same thoughts, the same tendencies, as any young soldier.

Eve did I get this from you?

Eve glanced over at Taylor curiously, then her eyebrows rose. That's odd. But I guess you did. I haven't been on any other planet in my entire lifetime, so I've never seen that before. But it may wear off after a while -probably a remnant of myself got stuck to you.

2. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Dana's eyes sparkled with excitement as she stared that the beautiful creature before her. A dragon! Right before her very eyes! Sure, it looked different then the dragons on her home world...and it spoke, unlike the creatures she knew. But there was no mistaking it...a dragon, with a saddle and no rider. Magicians and Mortals alike would kill for the opportunity to train and ride a dragon. But few were left in her world, and only the bravest and most clever soldiers could claim one as it's own.

"Dracian." Dana called the drakon by it's name, her tone both stern but kind, "I am Lieutenant Dana of the Eagle's Guard. I understand your desire to follow your orders. But currently, you are not in the hands of an enemy. These are simply people who are fearful for their own survival. Being that you are not in the hand of an enemy, you have broken no rule yet, nor have you betrayed any information. Listen, these people know a way for us to return home. If you cooperate, you can return to your people and finish your training, and I can return to my people and save them from slaughter. But if you continue to fight...matters will become far graver for all of us. Will you stand down or must I give you a direct order?" She asked with a jocular gleam in her eye.

3. Tom Kleermaker

Tom Kleermaker Member

"So, when will the fun stop?" asked Taylor, by now bored of hovering close to the floor for no clear purpose.

4. Keitsumah

Dracian Orden

"...But if you continue to fight...matters will become far graver for all of us. Will you stand down or must I give you a direct order?" She asked with a jocular gleam in her eye.

Drake puffed up a bit then glanced out of one eye at the human that had spoken. Then stopped short. He hadn't noticed that there were human females around.

For a moment, Dana watched as a series of emotions played out in his eyes. One moment his nostrils were flared, his body tended and ready to spring. The next he just stared, jaw slightly opened in wonder. Dammit. Get a grip on yourself! Drake snapped his mouth shut and let the gravity force him back into a lying position. This was the first time he had ever seen one for himself -had ever smelled one. How his kind had survived this long without utterly destroying themselves was a miracle in it's own right, even with the unifying battle against the Fell.

Then his muzzle curled in a snarl. The Fell had destroyed all human females -made their world's air poisonous to only them. Drake had no problem slitting any of them from throat to sternum -would not hesitate- but to see just what his kind had lost...

"Yes, Ma'am." he rumbled, fixating her with a look that screamed that he was not going to be looking away any time soon.

Eve

I don't know, really. Like i said -it has never happened before. Maybe a few hours? Eve drifted over to Taylor and quirked her head to get a better angle to look at the creature. It was so strange to see how they reacted to her.

5. Tom Kleermaker

Tom Kleermaker Member

"Oh dear, now the eyes are on me." said Taylor who managed by the hovering she was doing to turn her body up while still pinned down. "Maybe you guys have a clone machine, teehee" the sarcasm implied that that was used back on Earth. They said before in the industrial and scientific underground the Earth had before it imploded as the war raged on about how they developed this copies of creatures - clones - and even humans.
    Of course all that was horseshit back in her time so they made mention of it as a joke.
    "And if you have this there might as well gimme something for my pain."

6. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Captain Blanger surveyed the scene.

"This isn't the first time we've had to deal with dimensional foreigners, such as yourselves," His mind rebounded off the dark memories of his first combat mission that he had practiced steeling himself against for decades. "We've even learned a bit about how all this portal business works. But activity has picked up of late, so be on your guard not all your fellow 'guests' will be friendly."

Blanger made a quick call on his wrist mic.

"Move out men," he called once finished and the troops quickly filed out of the room. "There'll be a shuttle waiting for you on the patio."

He motioned toward the glass doors. Then pressed a button releasing everyone in the room from the floor.

"You can choose to take it or not, and you can choose to accept the vaccine against Gree's infection or not. But whatever you choose I want you out of this city in thirty minutes."

With that the Captain marched out of the room.

7. Fan7asticMrFox

Fan7asticMrFox Contributor Contributor

The button pressed and Felix fell to the floor.

“Hey! I want my stuff back!” He got up instantly, shouting and charging at the door, the captain within sight. Blanger casually pressed another button and the doors closed together just in time for Felix to crash hard. His nose squashed up like an accordion and his forehead bashed it too. Slowly, he slid down the door on his face and slumped to the floor once more.

“Ass.” He whispered. Turning back to the rest of the group something clicked in his head. “Wait… what did he mean by vaccine? Is the room infected? A-Are we going to die!?” He quickly held his breath, just to make sure.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    losthawken likes this.
  8. Love to Write

“Wait… what did he mean by vaccine? Is the room infected? A-Are we going to die!?”
    Dana's face lit up in an amused smile. "No. Just the creatures we will likely encounter on our way to get this Orb." She stepped forward and held out her arm. "I'll take this vaccine. I suggest the rest of you do the same." A doctor stepped forward and injected Dana before turning to the next person in line.

Dana glanced at the Drakon. It stared at her as if it couldn't believe it's own eyes. Curious...didn't he say something about all the females on his planet being exterminated? I'll have to ask about that later.

----

Half an hour later the group was vaccinated, shuttled out of the city and dropped off at the place Gree had last been seen. The shuttle's pilot had called it Whirling Plains do to the irregular gravity in this area. The grass and plants were proof enough. Some grass was smashed flat, while in other areas the grass grew side ways or diagonal. A strange sight indeed. The creature Gree had been seen crossing this open plain and then had disappeared into the Cloud Maze. Night was falling, and the group and maybe an hour or two to cross the Plains and get to clump of caves on the other side before dark.

Dana put her hands on her hips as she studied the plains. It was open and exposed for almost two full miles. She didn't like it. Open and exposed usually meant there were traps or creatures in hiding waiting to attack. Also with it being so close to nighttime, the grass was getting hard to see, thus making it difficult to tell where the odd patches of gravity were. "What do you think?" Dana asked turning to the group. "Should we try and cross it now and hope we get to those caves before dark, or should we risk spending the night out here in the open."

9. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Meanwhile, Captain Balanger sat at a computer console watching a collection of dots move across a digital map. No one on theta prime new the Orb like he did. No one had come so close to it, felt its power, and lived.

He knew that the interlopers from other dimensions always seemed to find a way to the Orb. Now that this band was vaccinated, and secretly geo-tagged, this group would not only lead him to the Orb, but with any luck soften up that infernal Gree so for him. . .

"Captian," a private interrupted his pondering. "We've got a energy spike not far from the traced visitors. Gree is on the move."

"Is he moving toward them or away?"

"Unclear sir, we still can't pinpoint his location. All we know is he was there," replied the private.

10. Keitsumah

Dracian Orden

"Cross. Two miles isn't that far, and we have a good hour or so before nightfall still. That is, unless the humans from other worlds can't make a mile in under twenty minutes?" Drake glanced at the others. He had little problem with crossing -he could fly two miles in two minutes flat if he wanted to. It was the gravity patches he was worried about.

"I could scout from above, to spy any traps." he suggested, then gathered up his wings to take off. But before he did so, the wind changed and a strange, foul scent filled his nostrils. It reminded him all too much of the Fell.

Enemy. Instinct took over and Drake snarled, muzzle curling to reveal hooked fangs. The scales on his spine rose up like a cat's. This time, his wings rose in a fan-shaped cape behind him, making him look bigger and more menacing. He stood on tip-toes, head and tail low to the ground, but his hind-legs rippled with powerful muscle, ready to take off or leap at a moment's notice.

"Run." he hissed.

Love to Write and losthawken like this.
  11. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Senior Member

Schadenfreude merely smirked with amusement. 'This just gets better and better by the moment.' He though as he observed Drake.

"And just what threat are we to run from? I didn't suspect a mighty dragon like yourself would fear anything." He said without the faintest hint of fear or even concern in his voice.

12. Love to Write

"Run." he hissed.

"And just what threat are we to run from? I didn't suspect a mighty dragon like yourself would fear anything."

"Fear is a natural response to the unknown. Only the stupid and the dead do not feel fear." Dana said in response to Schadenfreude. Her fiery daggers left their sheaths and were in her hands in an instant. "I don't see anything either. But I can feel their presence. We should tread carefully and quickly."
    Dana stepped on the plains and began moving forward. She watched the grass and stepped only where it grew normally. The group followed behind her in a single file line with Eve and Drake flying directly above them. Nothing happened for about five minutes then everyone on the ground began to feel vibrations under their feet. "They're under us!" She hissed and pointed her daggers downward.

A mutated human suddenly burst out the ground. It was a mixture of a giant mole and worm. The worm part of the body remained underground while the mole part attacked those on the ground. Their claws glistened as if they were wet. Dana stabbed her dagger into the chest of the one that attacked her and it shrieked as it was consumed with fire. It immediately disappeared under ground only to be replaced by another.

13. Keitsumah

Eve

Eve eyed the strange mutants. How strange. Is this Gree's imagination limited to beings that he has seen? But before she could try to answer that, another mole-worm sprang from a hole, slashing at her. Instead, it's claws passed through harmlessly, and Eve laughed. That tickles!

Then she stopped short and frowned, looking at the strange, yellowish tint that had begun to stain her tail. The once pleasant tingling had turned to something more close to static electricity or numbness now. Odd... why can't I move it?

Dracian Orden

Drake's head snaked around Dana before the next mole-worm could attack. Jaws closing over its throat, he wrenched his head to one side and snapped its neck, then charged forward a step and slammed its body back into the hole to block the way of the others, blood spurting between his claws. A thundering roar tore out from his throat, and he slammed his tail sideways at the next one to poke its head up. The severed body flew several feet before it was picked up by a change in gravity, and then shot straight up and out of sight.

"Damn. A Drill-head would come in handy right now..." he hissed, but no one seemed to recognize the term. Instead, he lowered himself to the ground, belly flat to the earth to feel the vibrations. His muzzle was curled as far back as it could go, and his tongue flickered between his teeth, tasting the air.

"To the left!" he warned.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  14. TheApprentice

Schadenfreude was paying no attention to Drakes warning as he was watching everybody fight, hoping to be impressed. Sadly for him it brought only disappointment. They seemed sloppy, too panicked for his standards as he didn't take into consideration their mortality.

He had been cut in half, split down the middle, burned, shot, stabbed, doused in acid, and help some people even tried holy water. But no matter what, all any of this ever did was slow him down.

Then, suddenly, Schadenfreude felt a vibration under his feet, and only a second later, sure enough, a mole worm mutant burst out of the ground to his left with a massive roar, and with a furious swipe, cut Schadenfreude into several pieces.

"Fuck." He said boredly, his head in tact, but his torso, arms, and legs cut apart and his guts laying on the ground.

In his fury, sparks appeared all around the area, igniting into flames which not only lit the mole ablaze, but set any grass or vegetation in the area in fire. This wouldn't harm any of his "allies," but they would be sweating from the heat of his fire, which encircled the group and the moles.

15. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

Roland kicked his hind legs at the closest mutant, breaking it's skull. Turning around quickly, he fired a blast at another. It's been constant fighting... not pleasant. Especially combined with the other creatures who had also come here. Their brains were undeveloped; they were only capable of very animalistic conversation. Sure, they could fight; Well, except for this Clara woman. She was an abnormality, coming from an age no one else had. He would find out more about her, and that meant protecting her from these things. On the plane, he had sat away from the others, scanning through the history books downloaded into his brain. With her fashion style, he had found that in the time she was most probably from, black people were not only not that abundant, but were pretty much slaves to the white people. Slaves! It had upset him so much that he had considered interrogating Clara about it. Then again, she wouldn't have slaves. She must be kind enough to see the immorality in slavery.

In a sudden burst of anger, he grabbed the head of another mole and ripped it off it's body. By god, Roland was in love with the woman. Wasn't that what Fesenheim had said?

"Mister, what is love?"

"Love is the most special feeling in the world, my boy. You want to protect her, you want to kiss her, and you want to love her."

No. Not quite in love. Roland just wanted to talk to her. She wasn't particularly bedazzling, at least not as much as the average woman on Eureka. Roland couldn't believe it. He was so piqued by this woman that he would risk his life for her just to know more about her. Actually, that did make sense in hindsight. Precious little of the years before the 22nd century were kept in the history books. Of course he would want to know more. Fill a few pages of a book, and get more credit to his family's name.

He fired a laser at another mole, burning it's flesh and muscle off it's bones. Then his heat sensor picked up heat coming from that bizarre creature Schadenfreude. Roland moved away from the embers, and motioned for Clara to do the same.

16. Love to Write

Drake's warning reached Dana's ears and her fiery daggers flashed to the left, decapitating another mutant. The others were holding their own, dispatching the creatures almost as quickly as they popped up. Most of them seemed to have fighting experience, which was good. Dana had a feeling things were only going get harder. Another mutant popped out of the ground to Dana's right. She swung her dagger cutting it's throat. As it died the mole's claws cut into her arm.
    She yelped as a burning sensation ran up her arm and then she could feel nothing. The dagger dropped out of her right hand as it hung limply to her side.

"Careful! Their claws cause paralysis!" She warned.

A mole popped up underneath Felix and latched onto his left leg, intent on dragging him down.
    Roland took a step backwards straight into a patch of gravity that smashed him to the ground, leaving him wide open to attack.
    The fire that Schadenfreude had stocked did well at keeping the mole-worms wary before they attacked. A portion of the fire was sucked into a gravity vortex and went swirling high up into the sky, illuminating the entire field.

17. Fan7asticMrFox

Felix

The mutant mole attached itself to Felix’s leg like a leech, and as it pulled he could feel the life being sucked out of him.

“Y-Aaah!” He shouted, caught off guard. His head disappeared under the long grass out of view. He quickly snapped out his energy pistol, shooting madly at the ground. The mole kept on pulling him down, hissing as they descended into the ground below. Felix was sweating, struggling and squirming out of the grasp, but alas he was down to his waist and soon to be mole meat.

But finally, a panicked shot from his energy pistol caught the mutant mole right between the eyes and its body went limp, falling away from the captive leg. The dirt crammed around Felix’s chest and he let out a sigh of relief, only to see another mole charging at him through the long grass. His eyes widened, the hulking beast rushing at him. Gangly yellow teeth crowded its mouth with patchy brown fur turning grey, and its red eyes staring Felix down. Felix struggled to pull his pistol out of the ground and the beast seemed to smile at its meal’s predicament.

Readying its mouth open to curl around Felix’s head, it bit down hard. But instead of crunching through soft fleshy meat, its teeth clanged together on metal. The mole looked down to see the pistol in its mouth and Felix just smiled.

Bang.

Felix let out another sigh of relief. With effort he pushed himself out of the ground and brushed off the dirt. The beasts were everywhere and all he could hear were the hisses and snarls of the ugly beasts skulking away in the long grass. The smell of dead fish and sewers clung in the air, thick and foul.

He turned once more to see a brunette woman with lips of ruby red, seemingly out of place in her pristine white and black striped boarding dress that hugged her shapely figure. But behind her the long grass was parting. And fast. In a flash Felix stepped around her and pointed his pistol at the green, just in time to see another mutant mole jump out towards them. Felix was ready though and the second he saw its grim, ugly little face he blasted it away, the mangled body disappearing back into the grass.

He cleared his throat, styled a hand through his hair and turned to the woman, “How did a pretty little thing like you find your way into this wilderness?” He whipped out his pistol and shot another mole trying to sneak in from the side, never taking his eyes off her, his stare narrow and smouldering.

losthawken likes this.
  18. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Clara bit back screams and held her stomach, averting her gaze from the ugly creatures. All of the savage ways of killing threatened to make her sick. Why was she staying with these species anyway? She still hadn't a clue if this was even reality, despite what Roland had said. Her experience was growing more and more similar to a bad dream.

As if to prove her point, a bullet soared through the air, striking down another of the nasty vermin near her feet. A tad too close for comfort.

"How did a pretty little thing like you find your way into this wilderness?” said a suave voice. Clara studied the owner; a man...with good looks. She scanned his toned physique and chest that peeked out from his peculiar attire and advanced weaponry. Obviously he was a man that possessed strength, a soldier perhaps? Yes, very good indeed.

Clara met his eyes, a captivating blue like her own. She stood there, staring into them as if they were fine crystal. Her heart fluttered and for once, she gave a genuine smile, no matter how small.

"Well, I must say I do not know, Sir." she replied, twirling her parasol. "One moment I'm with my servant on a ship out to sea, the next moment drowning, and now I am here alive somehow...yet filthy."

A look of disgust passed over her pale face. "Truly horrid place this is, so very uncivilized. Doesn't it seem uncivilized to you, Mr...?" Clara's words faded with the sounds of continuous battle and she bobbed her head in waiting.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  19. Love to Write

As suddenly as they had appeared, the creatures disappeared by unground and the vibrations stopped. It seemed they had finally discovered that their potential meal wasn't worth all the trouble. Exhausted, bleeding, paralyized and in Schadenfreude's case, dismembered, the group crossed the last mile to safety. They reached the grouping of caves just as the sun turned the sky red and orange before fading into night. Dana rubbed her numb shoulder, willing the feeling to go back into her hand. It was unnerving, only having one arm that usable for the time being.

She sat down at the back of the cave and pulled an emergency ration pack out of one of her pockets. The others were on their own for food. She only had enough for herself. Dana's eyes slid over the group. None were the same, and some, like Schandenfreude, were terrifying. Can we really get the orb and get back home with this sort of group? We've done well so far but what happens when conflicts arise? Hopefully we'll all be able to act like adults and get through this in one piece.

Dana's eyes settled on Drake. Such a beautiful creature and yet so strange. I hope I a chance to talk to him more.

20. Keitsumah

Drake padded over to the wall of the cave, muzzle curling in distaste. Those creatures had tasted even more foul than some of the Fell he had bitten into. Snorting, Drake struggled not to bury his face in the dirt and eat some just to get the taste out of his mouth. But it was a near thing. Instead, he lay down and set about trying to straighten his gear out. Without a partner, it was near impossible for him to keep from chaffing. The leather rubbed against his scales, cramming underneath to the soft skin below.

A growl of frustration rippled out of his chest when he couldn't reach behind the saddle to get at one particularly itchy spot. But he couldn't roll over for fear of setting the missiles off or breaking the rifle. Then his ears laid back in embarrassment when he noticed Dana staring at him.

"Well, are you going to just stand there or help me out of this?" he chuffed.

21. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

Roland watched warily as the man who had stumbled through the door earlier engaged in conversation with Clara. The man was handsome, for a white. Less white than Clara's, his was tanned from sun exposure. His voice oozed seduction and sex. Clara's voice was more... comfortable than before. Well, what could he expect, really. They were the same race of human. He guessed that they'd be frolicking in bed just like most of the couples that 'hooked up' on his planet. Ugh, that image was now stuck in his head. He'd keep an eye on that man, but for now, he'd let them talk. Clara probably didn't mind his attention, so who was he to intrude?

Then, he realized something. Something the woman had said registered in his brain.

"Well, I must say I do not know, Sir. One moment I'm with my servant on a ship out to sea..."

Servant... Hah. She did have a slave, why of course. Probably an African-American too, why not. It looked like the idea of equality hadn't sunk into her time yet. It probably wasn't her fault. However, it still hurt his opinion of her. What had she been thinking when she'd seen him then? Thoughts flew through his mind, and then he breathed in and out, feeling the machine behind him suck in the carbon dioxide out of the air. He felt refreshed as the oxygen flushed straight into his system and the carbon went straight into his stomach.

He looked at everyone else. He wasn't part of any particular group. He didn't fit in with the various humans situated everywhere, and he didn't fit in with any of the stranger creatures. He decided to learn a bit more about each one of them. Sitting down, he took off his equipment, and laid it carefully beside him. He listened, letting the conversations flow into his brain.

22. Fan7asticMrFox

"Truly horrid place this is, so very uncivilized. Doesn't it seem uncivilized to you, Mr...?"

“Rainer. Felix Rainer,” He ran his hand through his hair once more before staring off into the distance, “It is a little uncivilized. But when you flirt with danger on a daily basis like I do… sadly, you get used to it.”

She was smitten. He could tell. Still staring off into the distance he would not allow her the satisfaction of his attention, in the hope that it would melt her even further. She was pretty – yes – ever so beautiful, but it was her scent that he was more interested in. Money. It didn’t matter what time or universe anyone came from, Felix could always tell when someone had wealth. And this pin striped, suit strapped, hat wearing beauty reeked of it. The dollar signs in his eyes were just small enough not to be seen.

He held out a hand. “Looks like everyone’s headed to that cave. I think it would be safer there… my, how rude of me. I didn’t even ask you your name?”

23. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Jerty Plimsole got up from his feet. He looked around. Where the hell am I?
    Then he remembered, just at about the same time the headache kicked in. He got up to his feet and vomited on the floor.

After relieving himself, he picked up his pointy wizard hat and put it proudly on his hat. It was a nice hat, red velvet. The only problem one could perhaps find in it was the gigantic hole in it, and the many scorch marks.

"Still doesn't solve the problem of where the bloody hell I am," He said to no one in particular. He scratched at his beard.
    He turned around, and saw a cave in the distance. Behind him, he could see a very large, ominous tower in the distance.
    "Hmm, most people would go towards the cave, that tower seems ominous. This of course, means...?" He waited for an answer, then remembered he was alone. "The tower! Reverse psychologically and all that rot." he started off towards the tower.

He'd managed a few steps before a wolf howled. After recovering from his momentary heart attack (he had realized that it was not the right time to have one), he sped off at impressive speeds in the opposite direction.

After a few kilometers, he stopped to catch his bearings. That's when he heard the voices.

"Damn it, people. I'd best run away." he turned to go back in the direction he came, but stumbled on a root and hit his knee on a root.

"OOOOOOOHHHHHHH FFFFFFFFF-"

He clamped his hand over his mouth. But it was too late. He had been heard.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
  24. TheApprentice

"HM! ERM!" Schadenfreude cleared his throat rather loudly, as his head, limbs, and various intestines lay about the field

"You have not all left have you? If so, how could you have forgotten dear old Schadenfreude who killed so many of those abominations while he lay on the ground in various pieces?" He said, sighing deeply "Don't come back for me or anything, its not like I contributed my flames, which were possibly the cause of our winning the battle. I will make my own way to...wherever you're going." He said.

With that, his head exploded into many bugs; locusts, to be exact. The locusts flew into the same general area, creating a swarm, which traveled in the direction of the cave, which he knew was possibly where the rest had gone by the light of fire, the only such light he could see from where he was.

Suddenly, as all the creatures and warriors sat around the inside of the cave, locusts filled the air within, their wings flooding out all other sound. Much to the relief of the others, however, the locusts quickly traveled to an area right beside the fire, slowly turning back into Schadenfreude, but as he was just moments ago on the ground outside. His bloody torso lay on the ground, missing one arm and cut at the waist, his intestines hanging out. The hand of his severed arm dragged closer to the head and lower half. His head wore a face with a bored expression, and was only attached to his severed neck.

"Somebody drag me closer to the fire." He said, assuring the others that despite his state, he was still alive.

25. Love to Write

The Flight: Part One

"Well, are you going to just stand there or help me out of this?" The dragon chuffed.

"Uh, sure." She replied scooting over to Drake. It took a while to unbuckle the saddle from the dragon, being that her arm was half-numb but she managed to finally pull it off and set it carefully on the ground. She couldn't help but admire his scales now that the equipment wasn't covering it. "You have a beautiful color." The statement was followed by a sad sigh, "Most of the Dragons in my world have been killed off. Few remain, and even fewer can be ridden. Damn war..." She muttered.

Drake blinked in surprise, then sighed. "Same. Only it's the women on my world that have been killed. The Fell did something to the air on my planet that makes it poisonous to human females. That forced us males to try and reproduce using tubes and... stuff." he paused, but the instinct to kill himself for sharing that information never arose. Maybe it was because she was an ally, and female to boot?

Swallowing, he continued. "Now there's very few humans left at all- we have to keep adapting to the creatures the Fell keep creating. It's a war to create the ultimate life form." His gaze focused on the wall, and his claws clenched. "The Fell are... not one set being. They spread through infection. The most common are the Fell Deer -creatures that can run as fast as a cheetah and whose bite will burn through flesh. That's where I came in. I'm the first successful result from the Shadow-Drake Project. I'm faster, stronger, and can go much higher than any others of my kind. But that led to problems..." Drake looked at her and an embarrassed grin tugged at his muzzle. "I'm too fast for any of the human Riders to hang onto. I should have been paired off at One year. Now I'm two."

"Too fast, huh? Never heard of a dragon who was too fast. I'll have try riding you sometime." Dana rotated her shoulder. She hoped the tingling in her hand meant that she'd soon regain complete feeling again. "That is...if you don't mind letting me have a try." She added quickly.

Drake actually had the nerve to look worried. "I can hit a good four-hundred miles per hour in a dive, if not more. You really sure that would be a good idea? The last three potential partners that tried ended up falling off -and thank god they were in the simulator."

"Death doesn't scare me." Dana said pulling out one of her knives and examining it's glowing edge. "It's the thought that I let fear overcome me...that scares me the most." She touched the knife to a nearby leaf and it burst into flame, shriveling to ash. "I'm strong. I can ride you." Dana said with determination. "Sides...if I fall, you'll catch me, right?" She smiled.

Drake watched the smoldering remains of the leaf for a moment. Then he let out a low rumble and stood up. "Fine. In fact I can show you right now if you help me get my saddle on. I'm not black as night for nothing ya know?" he grinned back.