Newcomer's Game: THE ORB OF PYRITUS

Discussion in 'Archive' started by losthawken, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

Faramar and Pyree had been flying for quite a while now. Looking at the grey creature that his companion rode, he realised that it was not tired at all. Pyree on the other hand, looked like she was having the time of her life. The peace keeper hadn't seen a smile like the one on her face in a long time, when he was still back in Gharr'tash. Since they had started flying, Faramar had the opportunity to better analyze the swords they were given. The blade was made from a very hard steel, and seemed to be able to whitstand a lot of punishment. It was heavier than Jor'Reda, although it was at least 1 metre smaller, which was to be expected, since the ore that sword was made from is probably only found on his world.
    The sun was now at its highest point and beginning its descent onto the horizon. Until this moment, the landscape had been mostly comprised of land, a few trees and a large amount of crops and terrorized farmers, pointing and screaming at them. Now it was different.

The strange 'bird' began its descent into the ground as they approached a completely secluded area. In the distance, Faramar could make out a grey structure of sorts. As they finally landed he could hear Pyree chuckle, the huge grin still on her face as she dismounted from the animal.

"Thank you for this amazing ride!" she said

Although the peace keeper did not expect it to understand. The thing let out a croak and bent its head, as if bowing before her. His companion was trully delighted by all this, and it pained him to end her times of bliss. He threw the sword he had on his hand at the feet of the woman, and grabbed the one he had on his tail with his left hand.

"I am sorry to cut your happiness so short, but I think it is time we get to training." Faramar said "Have you ever actually used any sort of weapon before?"

2. Backbiter

Backbiter Member

Riley knew that along his travels he would encounter things he had never seen before, be put in situations that caught him off guard, but nevertheless the shock of recent events left him breathless.

He recalled the shocking message delivered by the snake, and Drake's strange behavior. The man's words still rang in Riley's head.

"My second spirit is awakening. I know you don’t understand. I don’t ask you to. But if I am lost, and if I attack Riley then you can kill me."

Despite the man's sudden actions toward Riley, he strangely felt no anger. He knew all too well what it was like to be at war with another creature inside of you. Riley understood that Drake meant him no harm.

Still slightly confused at the snake's revelation, it took him a moment to reply to Rodrick's suggestion of alliance.

"Right you lot, it's obvious you're not the most sane bunch, but there's plenty of time to mumble to yourself and feel up snakes while we're travelling. Where's the bastard who sent that black bugger after us?"

Turning toward the warrior slowly, still on edge from the recent events, Riley stiffly replied, "East. We'll travel east. That's what the snake said, and, for my part, I see no reason that it would lie." He abruptly turned away, still not feeling very social.

Riley strolled over to the hole that the creature had disappeared down, curiously pondering where it had come from. It was a deep hole; clearly the creature had dug straight down before heading in the direction of its destination. He stepped forward to get a better view of the tunnel, accidentally nudging a rock with his foot. The small stone rolled over the edge of the hole, and Riley watched with interest as it plunged into the darkness. The tunnel must've truly been massive, because there was no sound of the rock colliding with dirt within.

He turned around to return to his comrades, anxious to work out a plan of action. Riley had hardly taken a step before there was a tiny shift in the wind. The breeze, previously flowing to the south, changed direction, now hitting Riley in the face. Though it wasn't a very strong gust, the warrior still felt himself lean back. He realized that he had inadvertantly taken a step backward; he now balanced precariously on the edge of the hole.

Riley felt a strange sensation. Glancing at his body, he recoiled in shock. His limbs were dematerializing, slowly fading into smoke. He tipped backward and plunged into the void, just barely discerning the distant shouts of his companions. He heard a soft, impassive voice whisper in his ear.

"Your time has come."

Then all went black.

3. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

"I am sorry to cut your happiness so short, but I think it is time we get to training." Faramar said "Have you ever actually used any sort of weapon before?"

“Weapon?” she asked.

“Yes, a weapon. An instrument used to defend oneself and, if need be, cause harm to another."

“I'm sorry, I've never handled something like this. What I call a weapon involves destroying a planet in a single time shattering moment, or punching a hole through matter with automatically calculated trajectories, but no one has used those for hundreds of years. Wait, or is it that no one will use those for thousands of years. I'm sorry. I'm not making sense at all am I.”

"I can see we have our differences. Irregardless, time is of the essence. Pick up your sword." he said in a very commanding tone

“Time is of the essence,” She mumbled while bending to pick up the sword. “If I had real weapon time wouldn't be a problem.”

It took both of her arms to lift the clumsy chunk of metal from the ground. She held it in front of her pointing it toward the winged creature.

"Now, in order to take full potential from the weight of the weapon, you should spread your..."

She ran toward him with an overhead swing, bringing the blade down as hard she could. Faramar slid to the side as the blade hit the ground with a thump. His sword flashed to a stop centimeters away from her throat.

"I like your enthusiasm, but maybe you should listen to me before you start brandishing your sword around, cause if you do that in actual combat, you'll be no more a menace than a toddler with a spoon." Faramar said, pulling her sword from the ground.

Pyree took the weapon he returned, dragging it along the ground back to her position.

"Now, as I was saying, in order to make the best out of the weapon's weight, you'll need to..."

“Look, I don't think I'm suited to this kinda thing. If we have time to spare, it'd be better spent on increasing my mobility. Let me get my cutting tool.”

She pulled out the hand-held device while her companion eyed her curiously. Setting the sword down in front of her she adjusted for the angles.

“This won't take long.” she added, as if out of consideration.

The cutting tool scarred the ground with a few quick cuts. The sword was now less than half its length and sharpened to a deadly angular point. Satisfied, she picked up the blade again, swinging it casually with her wrist. It was lighter now, and the cooling edges glowed as it moved. However, the movements weren't smooth at all. The hilt was still bulky, and the weight toward the tip would require the full force of her shoulder to cut very deep.

Returning attention back to her tutor, Pyree asked, “Ready to try again?” The freshly shortened sword was in her right hand, the cutting was tool in her left, both glowed orange.

"It will be a lot harder now, with that piece of junk, but we can try. I insist you turn your 'tool' off first. It would be a shame if another weapon got destroyed, and this sword is short enough already.”

4. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

Atlas pointed his rifle light down the hole, flicking it to its highest intensity. He couldn’t see the bottom.

“Did you two…?”
    The others looked just as surprised as he felt.

Initially, he had thought Burstion simply lost his footing at the edge of the hole, but when he reached out, the only thing he managed to grab was smoke. Burstion was the second to disappear now. Was he gone for good? What if he came back somehow?

Atlas shook his head.

The axe-man was pacing around the pit. “This is no doubt the work of the enemy. They're picking us off one at a time, fucking cowards,” he spat.

Atlas backed away from the hole and shut off the light. “You heard Burstion. Shit’s going on to the east. I don’t know about the two of you, but I’m heading that way before we all vanish into thin air.”

If Burstion reappeared, he’d probably be able to track them. If not, the best option was to take out the one responsible.

Atlas turned and started off through the jungle.

5. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Dras-Morna

Dras-Morna crouched withing the shadows of the overhang, her breaths steady and quite. Her hand rested easily on the pommel of her katana. She watched warily from her roost, analyzing the strange appearance of the shining portal.

This is not right, her home, deep underneath the surface the world rarely saw any light. What light she did see was always bio-luminescent, or the warmth she could see radiating from the various creatures in the Below. Dras-Morna's eyes watered as she gazed at the invasion of light. Shaking her head Dras cautiously left her watch and crawled back down the overhang.

"I've not seen the likes of such brilliance in the caves," Dras turned to her second. Lan-Sarabi has been Dras's friend for many years, but only a wink in time when compared to the life-span of the Drow. Lan looked much like any other of the race, with bluish skin and a mane of pure white hair. His ear tips were lowered due to his fear of the light that invaded their home. Lan, unlike most Drow, has been to the sunlit surface of the Above and has suffered for it. His eyes had been damaged and could no longer see the heat of other creatures. When faced with the void of the Below he was blind. He made up for his impairment with a heightened sense of smell and eternal search for higher understanding.

"Nor I, my dear friend, nor I. However, it seems to look like a gate to another world. There was an inscription on the arch, Seek the Orb. What do you make of it?"

"I would suggest that it is an invitation, or a warning. The former is more likely as I feel no malevolent vibrations from it's pulses. We should consult the Priestess as it could be of her creation."

Dras winced, she never wanted anything to do with the Priestess. Her supposed divinity was as false as the claws the Priestess attached to her fingertips. They have had their differences and Dras was not inclined to bow down before her silken skirts in search of answers she could well enough find on her own.

"I shall not go beg the Priestess for an answer. Interpreting her answers are worse then the riddle that stands before us here. No, I shall prepare myself and enter the portal. I will find this orb, and then I shall return. Perhaps this orb will give us the power to close this eyesore that lights our world."

Lan sighed and massaged his brow with his hand, "So it shall be".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dras stood before the reflective surface of the mirror stone. Her hair blended with the black void of the stone of the mirror, for her hair was the less common black found among the Drow. Her skin was the color of dark blue water under ice, her eyes the color of blood, as all Drow had. Her hair was cut shorter then most females, as her activities made long hair a hazard. A hunter and an assassin, both protector and nightmare. But she was good and she was paid and that was all that mattered.

Dras donned her cloak and turned away from the reflective stone. She picked up her bag and bow and started toward her door.

"Before you go..." Dras turned to regard Lan. He was lounging in one of the chairs that furnished their little home.

"As to what do you want?"

"As you know I have been to the surface and have paid for it. In my quest for greater knowledge I learned from the surface peoples that Drow once walked the surface as they do. Even then the Drow had sensitivity to the sun and preferred to walk the night. When my eyes became damaged they gave me a gift," Lan reached into the folds of his own cloak and pulled out a velvet case. He handed it to Dras.

Dras took the case delicately. Velvet was rare in the Below and especially in the white color that the case was in in. She opened it and inside laid a strip of red cloth.

"It is called a Drow's Light. You wear it over your eyes and it protects them from bright lights, but neither does it obstruct your vision. The surface people said the Drow wore them when they walked in the sun and gave it to me when they saw I was suffering. It saved what vision I had left."

Dras stroked the cloth with one of her fingers, it was smooth and almost felt like water. She picked it up and tied it around her head, making sure it covered her eyes. She looked around and noticed no difference in her vision but she did not doubt that what Lan had said was true.

"This gift is a treasure. I thank you," on sudden impulse Dras embraced Lan. "I have never second thought about going into danger. Now I find myself concerned."

"There is no equal to having someone who cares," Lan took her face into his hands, "You will return, and if you do not I will come to you."

Dras looked into his eyes, memorized every feature of his face. She then got up and headed back towards the door,

"I will find the orb, and I will return."

6. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

Eslana followed the Kitza thing through the forest. She would say it was walking ahead of her, but it didn't look like walking. It had to use all three of its legs, in addition to an arm, to travel. She still was unsure if it was a threat or not. There were some strange people and things on this world, one had already attacked her. She also wasn't sure if this Kitza was from this world, or if it had been brought here like she had. If she could ask it... no, that was pointless. She could hardly understand its answers.

Eslana got that weird feeling on the back of her neck again, and she turned her head.

"Kitza world here from." Eslana looked forward, as the thing kept walking. She'd understood that. But she hadn't asked the question.

The thing stopped and turned around to face her.

"Kitza Eslana each other understand. Lead Kitza will Eslana earth liquid." Eslana rubbed her temples with her free hand.

"Please just keep going. How far away is this volcano?"

"Liquid earth mountain not, ahead tomorrow's walk in dark cold earth."

If it weren't for the Kitza thing leading her, she probably would have gotten a large search of the area done already. If Kitza was leading her into a trap or something, Eslana was now aware she was falling for it.

"Trap no Kitza use. Secret Eslana Kitza keep and know. Kitza quiet."

Secret? How... how would it know my secret? Eslana dropped the pieces of Jor'Reda and drew her sword. "How do you know?"

Kitza backed away. "No harm like Kitza. Nothing say secret Eslana Kitza will."

"But how do you know!"

Kitza put its free hand on its head. "Thought heard Eslana. Hear Kitza things from people others."

Eslana sighed, putting her sword back. "Don't make me kill you, got it?" She picked Jor'Reda back up.

Kitza nodded, at least, Eslana thought that's what it was.

"Let's keep moving."

7. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Greywind Raven-Ryder

“Your time has come,” Greywind whispered as he pulled the warrior into shadow.

Greywind held tightly to Burstion as they moved through the etherverse. The tunnel walls were a transparent vapor to their eyes, as was the earth as they passed through the walls and travelled below ground level. It was a strange feeling, being pulled by a gravity far different from that of the world in which either of them were born. It had taken Greywind some time to get used to moving about the etherverse, where only the magical was solid. But in time he had mastered the skill. It was terrifying at first, the feeling of being exposed to the raw powers of the universe, to see yourself inside out with your eternal soul exposed. He looked at his captive and saw the glowing red scars that he bore. The man wouldn't be able to stand the etherverse much longer, even Greywind could not stand it forever.

A moment later both men materialized on a treeline where a dense jungle met a field of amber wheat. Now came the difficult part. Greywind backed away as he allowed the man to regain his senses.

“I'm sorry to do that to you friend. But my master wanted you dead for the power you weild over his fel snake.”

8. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Drake, Rodrick, Atlas (Feat. Thana, Goddess of Mercy/Vegeance)

The Magnan was also taken by surprise, Blade Edge had sensed a presence in Riley, and then the man was gone. Someone’s picking us off, and that snake isn’t dead. Now that Riley’s gone we‘re vulnerable. They finally reached the ravine, it was wider than they expected, and together they approached the edge and looked down. It was a gaping scar upon land, he looked into the darkness. We can’t tell for certain how deep it goes. He formed a fire ball, and dropped it. The torrent of flames was eaten, and devoured, its glow faded completely. There is of course another way. I don’t want to do it but if it means getting across without dying, then so be it.

‘You’re going use me to Edge Walk in Vulk Grulain, and temporarily encompass the other two. That will leave you exposed, to Erif; you’ll be playing into his hands.’

Drake agreed, “I’m aware of that Blade Edge, but we need to move. That snake will return with a vengeance.”

The sword replied in his thoughts ‘It’s not the snake I worry about, it’s you. Very few survive Edge walking with companions; their spirits will be guided by you… me, if they get lost.”

“They get lost forever,” muttered the Magnan quietly to his sword.

The Magnan was drawn from his thoughts as the soldier said frustratingly, "Great. Just what we need, a goddamn canyon in the middle of goddamn nowhere. What now?"

The Magnan stepped back and faced the two men, and said, “I have a suggestion. I can use Blade Edge’s physical manifestation to cross the ravine. It will cause me and Blade Edge to switch places and to do such a thing requires him to use Vulk Grulain, the wandering realm. It can mimic this world, and can exist in more than one place at any given time. In other words, it can find us a direct route over the ravine by shaping the realm.”

The Magnan saw Atlas shift his helmet in confusion. "I don't know what the hell you just said, but 'direct route over' sounds good to me. Go for it... as long as it doesn't kill me," he said.

The axe wielder ignored the other soldier and replied, "'Shut up for fuck's sake, If you're going to do something, do it now."

I can’t promise anything. “You’ll both be in safe hands,” said Drake. He turned back towards the chasm, he drew on the power of Blade Edge, and watched as the portal formed, a vibrant fiery orange that seemed to claw at the world, it reminded the Magnan of when he first forged the sword. Was it really that long ago since I forged you... He took the first step, the instantaneous retreat into his own mind came as a cold numbing shock, he now watched through the eyes of Blade Edge, the Edge Walker.

The ground beneath him was charred, and broken, even more than before, cracks were beginning to show, he brushed dust from his shoulders as he felt the powerful embrace of Vulk Grulain. The other two, followed almost reluctantly, and were taken aback by the undead form before them, Blade Edge's body was mangled, bones protruded from exposed skin, he wore a stone armour that remained well preserved despite the cracks on the shoulder plates, the form had a fiery glow around it, he turned for a brief moment raised his withered hand and waved at them, "I'm Blade Edge, nice to meet you both."

At that point a shackled woman, with grey strands for hair, and silver eyes, appeared out of the dirt, her pale complexion came as a shock to the Edge Walker. "So you return."

"Lady Mercy... this isn't permanent."

"No, you'll leave me here, you bound me to my realm!"

The sword form sighed heavily, and looked back to the others, "This is Lady Mercy, Goddess of... Mercy. Except she tried to used me to rid the world of purity."

"Lies!" she screamed rising only to stumble and fall.

The sword form said nothing at first then growled, "We don't have time for this, I'll have to shape the realm to create a bridge of sorts... give a minute. Mercy, Thana whatever you want to be called, don't try it."

9. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

Faramar took a deep breath. Things were not going well as he tried to teach his companion some sword play. She had not only ruined her weapon by cutting it with that strange tool, but her movements were not fluid at all. Her stance was improving, she had more balance and strength behind her strikes, but that was not nearly enough. He barely had to use his own sword to defend, usually sidestepping sufficed.

"Let's take a break" the peace keeper said

Pyree dropped her weapon and laid back on the ground, both exhausted and frustrated

"It's no wonder these weapons are obsolete. They take so much work!" she said between breaths

Faramar was not tired at all. After all, he did little more than take a few steps every time she tried to strike him. There wasn't much more he could do. He taught her the moves and he taught her the stances, but she did not seem to be able to put them all together in one fluid motion. Then, he had an idea. It would be a risk, but in this dire situation, it was necessary.

"Break's over. Get up." he ordered

His companion dragged herself into a standing position and held its sword at her waist. The stance was good, he noticed.

"This time, I will attack you. All you have to do is defend." Faramar said

Her eyes shot open as she heard those words

"What? You can't be..."

The peace keeper did not hesitate. With a quick jump, sword raised over his head, he struck down. An ear shattering cling echoed throughout the area as his blade met Pyree's. Even quicker than he was in advancing, he retreated to his original position. His companion's face was a mix of confusion, happiness and fear. Her sword was raised over her head in a perfect horizontal angle, at just the exact distance it should be. Her legs were widespread, just as he had taught her. Furthermore, her other hand was recoiled at her hip, ready to strike his open ribs.

"I have no idea how I just did that" she said

"I know. Some times, one is only capable of awakening the warrior within when faced with a death threat. I am sorry but it was necessary. Now, shall we go again?"

The confusion on her face quickly turned into a spreading grin. She went back into the position Faramar had taught, and held her sword with both hands at the height of her waist.

"No" said the peace keeper "This time, you'll turn your side to me. Hold the sword with your front arm at shoulder's height and hold your cutting tool at waist height."

His companion seemed confused, but did not argue. As she assumed the new stance, she realised it was much more comfortable, as if she had done it before. All the insecurity seemed to be gone.
    without a word, she ran to her sparring partner.
    She swung her sword from left to right, aiming at Faramar's head, but he easily parried that. Then, in a lightning fast motion, her back arm shot in a straight line, the cutting tool's edge pointed at her companion's chest. He pushed her sword backwards and quickly dodged out of the way.

"Now we are getting somewhere, friend!" he chuckled "It seems you have found your weapon."

10. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Dras-Morna

Dras peeked over the cliff at the portal. She then quickly scanned the area for any other creature that may have been in the vincinity. Down in the below many creatures call the darkness thier home, and not all of them are pleasant. In fact, most of them are not pleasant at all, acutally many of of them are downright lethal. Especially the creatures that had evolved enough not to give off body heat, rendering them invisible to a Drow.

Dras looked down the cliff face. Many juts of stone stood out from the cliff and looked to provide a nice little staircase down to the offensive portal. Dras rose to the the balls of her feet and took a deep breath. She leaped off the cliff to land on one of the juts and landed almost perfectly. As she regained her balance she took her breathing under control and tried to keep her adrenaline down. She continued that way till she reached the bottom. As she landed on the cave floor she glanced back up the cliff, Funny, it seemed taller up there.

Glancing towards the portal, Dras scanned her new suroundings. There was a cave rat in the far corner but nothing that seemed instantly dangerous. She turned to the portal, instinctively shielding her eyes against the glare. The Drow's Light provided her protection, but old habits die hard. She cautiously reached a hand towards the portal, only to jerk it back. As soon as she touched its glow the portal turned a black color, as she watched it's transformation she became more drwan to it. Summoned in a way.

Dras glaced back up the cliff, then towards the portal. And then she entered it.

11. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Corporal James Farmer (Atlas)

Atlas stared in shock as the world started to darken and shift around him. The space that the General once stood in was now occupied by a walking, talking corpse.

"I'm Blade Edge, nice to meet you both," its voice echoed slightly.

Another corpse-like figure erupted from the ground behind the first, wailing something that Atlas didn’t quite catch. Nothing in his training had ever prepared him for this. He had been trained to withstand layers upon layers of stress, trauma, and exhaustion, but never this level of confusion. He shifted his rifle around uncomfortably.

“What the hell’s going on here?” he asked, eyeing the corpse on the ground, which appeared to be a woman.

"We don't have time for this; I'll have to shape the realm to create a bridge of sorts... give a minute. Mercy, Thana whatever you want to be called, don't try it," said the first corpse – Blade Edge, as it called itself.

Blade Edge turned around and faced the canyon, ignoring the woman who was yowling and clawing at its feet.

The axe-wielding man paced anxiously beside Atlas, and he could see why. The entire world had been changed, or rather; they had entered a different version of the world.
    “Looks like a goddamn nuke went off,” said Atlas. The ground was cracked and charred, the sky was darkened, and the entire jungle was now barren and decaying.

Blade Edge stood perfectly still at the edge of the ravine with its arms stretched out in front of it. It remained in that position for what felt like an eternity.
    But before Atlas could speak up, the ground beneath his feet began to tremble. As he backed away from Blade Edge, he noticed that a small section on the far end of the ravine was expanding, and shifting towards them. At the same time, the edge that the corpse stood on also expanded, and slowly moved to connect with the other half.

It was creating a bridge across the chasm. Atlas didn’t know how it was happening, but he was used to the general concept of crazy by now.
    Ever so slowly, the two segments of land inched towards each other, finally colliding in the middle, and forming a miniature rift at the center of the bridge.

“Damn. I gotta learn a bit of that magic sometime,” muttered Atlas.

Blade Edge lowered its arms, and turned back around to face them.
    “Follow me.” It started to walk across the narrow bridge.

The axe-wielder didn’t hesitate, and hurried after the corpse. Atlas shook his head, but followed them onto the bridge, only hoping that it wouldn’t collapse on them.

12. Mr Mr

Mr Mr Active Member

Relagator Thum

That group. Igor transmitted.

Very well but first I need to send a message to the elders. Thum sent back before starting to walk. He headed towards the flying figures and whatever lay beyond them. The ground rose here giving him a good view of anyone approaching. Reaching into his pack he pulled out the beacon. It was a largish sized metal sphere with a spike in the bottom. Thum stabbed it into the ground and stood back hoping it would work.

The sphere click as the spike entered the ground and started opening, the top half splitting to reveal a flashing light. It pulsed as it rose out of the sphere before stopping and glowing bright. A giant head was projected into the air above Thum. He dropped to one knee before the head could finish forming.

"Thum." A voice boomed.

"Elder Terak." Thum replied head bowed.

"You've been gone almost a day here. Tell me you've made some progress." Terak said face contorting.

"I have. I have found other also after the orb but they are all individuals here by their own means. No one has an army to rival ours."

Terak's face smiled.

"This is good. So where is the orb?"

"I'm still looking for it but I am close. I contacted you to ask for an ocean bomb and a faurbeast to distract the other being I have encountered."

Terak's head turned as if speaking to people behind him. He turned back nodding.

"Very well. They've been sent to your coordinates now. Be careful with the ocean bomb, we don't want the orb damaged."

"Do not worry, I'll have the orb soon enough. You might not even need the army."

"Bold words Thum, bold words. We'll see."

The projection disapeared and Thum stood to recover the beacon. He was about to pick it up when the Terak's head reapeared.

"Oh and you have 3 days before we initiate a Chronos strike." Terak said before vanishing again. Thums thought as he packed it away. He needed to hurry, being on the recieving end of a Chrono strike was not a good place to be. There was a crack and a blue sphere appeared in the air rolling onto the ground. Thum picked it up before moving back towards Igor.

"Careful the faurbeasts about to come through."

There was a crack and a giant head reared into view before burrowing straight into the ground. A long mass of body followed seemingly appearing from nowhere and going on forever. With another crack the body stopped appearing. Thum paused waiting for it to surface. Trees shook as its head rose from the ground towering over Thum. It dipped its head down so Thum could pat it. With eyes the size of Thums head it watched them.

"This is a faurbeast, or one of a very varied species. They're incredibly useful for taking down buildings. It also gives us transportation so lets get moving."

Thum climbed onto the beasts head and sat waiting for Igor to join him before giving the beast a tap and pointing towards the flying figures.

13. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Sydrian Darkblood

The text kept droning on and on, word after word of the same mottled garbage Sydrian had read before. Why he was being asked to read through this, who knew? As a scholar, though, it was all rubbish at best. Combat over the years has evolved from salvage random attacks to strategic battles and sieges of major landmarks. If that wasn’t obvious enough, Sydrian doubted he even needed to read on. He tossed the book off of the table in frustration, almost knocking down the oil lamp sitting on the corner. He looked towards where the book landed- a pool of ink had started to dribble onto the cover, and even as he watched the tipped inkwell fell onto the stone floor, cracking and splashing ink in every direction. Sydrian looked in disgust at the ink stain on his feather pelt. He rose and left quickly, intending to get the feathers washed out before the ink set in.

Despite the sunny, warm weather set in on the open green forest, Sydrian was in a foul mood. Besides the text and feathers, he hadn’t gotten word from any traders or bards about the northern war, and nothing beyond the new bow, now wrapped and carried under his arm, had arrived, even the other seven texts he was expected to read through by the end of the season, only weeks away by now. He sighed. All of this worrying did him no good, he thought. A dip in the pond might help clear his mind, as cluttered as it was.

And it did, at first. The rush of the cool water on his skin felt refreshing, and seemed to wash off all of his problems, ink included. He tried to relax, but his mind kept racing. There were millions of things to be done, but nothing he needed was available. He stopped himself, a technique he had learned a while back. Stop and focus on a single thing. Let it take over for a minute before letting it go. His focus turned to the pool of loose ink. He thought it would sit naturally in a blob, formless and shapeless, but instead it had started to sink, a whirlpool of black swirls in an otherwise clear pond. He took a breath in and dove to follow.

A few feet down the ink vanished from sight, but that had gone unnoticed. A dark portal, pure black with a bright green shifting rim, had instead captured Sydrian’s attention. He tried to go to the surface to get more air, but the portal had already begun to draw him in, much faster than he could swim. Sydrian soon gave in and let himself be tugged into the portal. He could sense something powerful beyond, stronger than anything he had ever felt before. He craved it, more and more as he drew closer, until he found himself lost in a world he had never once seen before. His head kept spinning as he coughed up water, and possibly blood. He slowly regained control of his breathing, but still his head never settled. He laid back, feeling the clean grass on his back, foreign trees rising above him. He slumped up, trying to steady himself, but he fell back after a few seconds. His common sense kept telling him to stay awake, to stay alive, but his body had already decided it needed to rest. He fell back onto the grass and slept.

14. BlizzardHarlequin

BlizzardHarlequin New Member

Sennet Lonnet (Popum-Popori Island)

Waves lapping upon the shoreline. The cool air blowing around the beach like a windswept butterfly. Today, was the day.

Sennet rested her head against a coconut tree, whistling a tune as she threw pebbles across the ocean. The sun blared down on the beach making the sand warm to the touch. Sennet searched through her satchel, thrashing about toys, seashells and even a pebble in the shape of a love heart. Reaching the bottom of the bag, she pulled out a small crystal which fit nicely in the middle of her palm. She touched the palm to her head and thought deeply. Slowly but surely, a beautiful light emanated from the crystal. It started to shake and a low mumbling noise escaped. Small pulses of beautiful blue light appeared to swirl around the crystal and finally, the crystal creaked open and a light flickered and flew into the evening sky. It danced and waltzed for a while before coming to a rest atop a stray palm tree leaf which had landed on a rock.
    "Phew, what a gorgeous day! It's great to be alive!" the small light cheered, circling around Sennet's head. "Calm down, crazy! We need to show bravery and maturity if we're going to be able to leave this sleepy island!" Sennet giggled, placing the small flickering flame in her jacket pocket.

Soon enough, a small turquoise colored mouse peaked her head out and searched her surroundings. "Clementine, you need to stay in my pocket. You can't be seen out here in the open." Sennet said sternly, tucking the mouse into the fabric. "But it's SO boring in here! There's no fun, no excitement, no whimsical adventure to see!" Clementine groaned, a sulky tone in her voice.
    Sennet sighed. Clementine could be so frustrating sometimes, even for a mouse. They were so involved in their conversation that she had not noticed the Elder approaching.
    "Today's the day, youngster." the Elder said, smirking as he did. Sennet gave a grin back and wondered what her task would be. If her annoying older brother could do it, so could she!
    "To get your Destina medallion, you need to," The Elder stopped for suspense. "Find out where the Orb of Pyritus is.".
    Sennet gasped and answered "...What's the Orb of Pyritus?" "A magical orb, made by Magnalian the Summoner." the Elder replied, turning towards his shack. "I have hid a drop-spot where you'll dive. You'll be perfectly safe, you'll land in the river below." "But, this makes no sense.. we're an island, there's ocean ALL around us." Sennet asked, befuddled. Clementine nodded in reply. "Ohoho, you'll see.." he chuckled, and began to usher her nearer to the drop-spot hidden behind his house. "B-but, what about my family and my fri-" Sennet couldn't finish her sentence. She was pushed over the edge and started to plummet to the earth below. Soon, a large pool of water appeared in sight. She had no idea when she'd land.
    "Sennet.. we ain't in Popum-Popori anymore!" Clementine cried..

And then, they hit the water with an almighty splash.

15. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree Lasstor

Pyree was still refreshed from her last break when the large bird interrupted her training. Its awkward hopping motions made her laugh. Its size and bulk closing in on her, however, was no laughing matter. The bird pushed her firmly with its beak.

“What?!” she asked it stumbling forward.

It continued to hop and push her deeper into the jungle.

Faramar followed, watching the new sense of balance Pyree had obtained. “I think, it wants us to proceed onward. We have tarried here long enough.”

“But, I haven't finished my training.” Pyree said, speaking as she walked backward dodging the bird.

“I think you've learned enough.” Faramar smiled knowingly. Raptors were the quickest of predators, yet Pryee managed to evade its non lethal prodding.

Only when they turned to start walking did the bird stop its pestering. With a head turned look and a squawk it flew away leaving the two travelers to themselves.

“The clearing we saw from the air is this way. Follow cautiously.”

Pyree watched the bird fly off before following Faramar. As far as advice went, she trusted him. He was quick to adapt her fighting style into efficient methodology, defending and providing an obvious threat with her dagger while attacking and using her cutting tool as a hidden threat. Misdirection was far superior to the strength and skill she had at her disposal.

While Faramar gave sound advice on combat, she remained skeptical of their direction. The man who controlled the bird was the least trustworthy person she had met. Although, she rationalized, there was no reason for her to distrust him. Perhaps she was just jealous of him. He had full knowledge of this planet's strange events. When it took every ounce of her concentration and the aide of a singularity field for her to teleport a space ship, this man could teleport multiple people and not even be present for the act. If she could find out how and study it, maybe compare it to the current knowledge of space time... There would be no end to her fame.

Pyree walked straight into Faramar, falling backward to the soft jungle floor.

“Oh, sorry. I w-”

Faramar interrupted her with a hand motion for silence. A deep rumbling tremor through the earth spoke for him.

“What's that noise?”

He crouched low to speak to her, “You have not noticed? It has been growing steadily louder for a while. It approaches from behind us.”

“Why did you stop then?”

Faramar pointed ahead through the thinning trees. The scenery was jarringly out of place with a low hill that belonged to some rocky countryside of the high plateaus. Just barley visible in the evening light, rose a small stone edifice. It was not the clearing she expected to seen in the middle of a jungle.

“Great!” Pyree exclaimed jumping up to her feet, “I haven't seen a house since I got here.”

“Wait! This most likely where the evil one resides.”

“All the more reason to head there quickly. I want to be back home before it gets dark.” Pyree strode out into the clearing confidently, passing a boulder, “Hello, anybody home?”

Her mistake was immediately apparent and there was nothing Faramar could do to save her. A host of hideous forms rose out of the rocky terrain surrounding the building. Heads, snouts, horns and... appendages all pointed in her direction. She was unable to recognize a single creature when the boulder next to her stood up. Turning her head at the noise, she was flying through the air before she could even see the blunt force strike her. Landing several meters away her suit did the best it could to protect her from the impact. Regardless the air was still knocked from her lungs.

In shock and unable to draw breath, Pyree looked frantically to find her attacker in the dim light. The lumpy deformed boulder of a humanoid lumbered the short distance in two steps to loom above her.

“Faramar,” she croaked, “help...”

16. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Dras stepped out the portal and was instantly assaulted by an array of sounds. Chirps, buzzes, cracks, whispers...it was almost to much. Dras knelt down on the ground, covering her ears. A small sound escaped her lips as she tried to block out the invasive noises, Never have I heard such clamor! she thought desperately. She stayed that way for several minutes until, slowly, she removed her hands to brave the onslaught of sounds and noises. She instantly gave up on trying to identify any of the sounds, as it seemed to make them louder. Her head pounded but she was able to function somewhat normally now. Dras stood up and tried to steady herself as she took a more cursory look around where she had landed.

Green. Lots of green. That was her first thought, then she noticed that the green was interspersed with brown and other vibrant colors that were rarely seen among the din of the caves. Dras remembered reading of something like what she saw here in the library of a deceased noble. Her mouth quirked as she remembered how he became deceased but she quickly yanked herself out of her thoughts and concentrated on remembering on what the book said.

Jungle.

That is what the book said.

Dras shook her head. Even though she used a little concealing magic here and there, she never did like meddling in the affairs of Wizards. Or Priestess' for that matter, she thought bitterly. It occurred to her then that maybe her people's magic couldn't work in this world. Startled by that revelation she tried to summon a globe of darkness around her hand. Dras sighed in relief as her hand became obscured by the inky void that came bidden by her call. She released the darkness from her hand and then tried something else. She carefully lifted the Drow's Light from her eyes only to instantly replace it.

Yep, it was daylight.

Dras lifted the hood of her cloak over her head and begun walking further into the forest.

17. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Blade Edge/Drake Feat. Erif Angam, Atlas and Rodrick

Blade Edge lowered its arms, and turned back around to face them.
    “Follow me.” It started to walk across the narrow bridge.

The axe-wielder didn’t hesitate, and hurried after the corpse. Atlas shook his head, but followed them onto the bridge, only hoping that it wouldn’t collapse on them.

----

They were soon halfway across the nature bridge, the ravine below calling almost to them. So far so good, making good progress, now while I'm here, let's work out what we are searching for. We are wandering. And it is with purpose. Well whatever these flesh beings consider to be a purpose. As for me I follow.

Always follow. Guide from time to time. But that depends on the Magnan. So here I am walking across a ravine with two different kinds of soldiers. And they don't seem to be aware of what they are doing here. Or they are and refuse to tell me. Let's find out.

"My master, never bothers with questions but I was forged to think. Think and come to conclusions, that and of course slicing through anyone who comes into my master's path. Now me and him, we wanted to - no he wanted to avoid his destiny. You may have heard some of it. Those ramblings he's talking to me. You may call it madness, but it isn't and get used to it. I've a short temper. Comes with the forging. Right. Now we were -"

"Make your point!" shouted the Goddess of Mercy.

"I'm getting to it. Thana. We were in Drax, an ancient fortress, occupied by my people during the First War. The Drax Priests held knowledge, and my master wanted that knowledge to end his so called curse. That's his single minded thinking for you. Now we are here, on world we never thought existed. We all seem to have come through these portals, and as we cross this Ravine well we get closer to this thing. Now tell me what is it. I sense it."
    They were approaching the opposite side, when Blade Edge felt buffeted by an energy he was all too familiar with. Erif Angam is getting close.

He quickened his pace, the two soldiers did so too, sadly Thana could only manage a stumble. She became dust. The opposite side was exactly as it was in their world, except here it was gloomy, clouds began to form over head. A storm of power that sweeps inexorably onto our path. The Path of Death. Blade Edge opened a portal, it looked vaguely like a crack, the other world luminously shining into the dead realm of Vulk Grulain. He looked at them, "Time for you to leave. I'll cover you."

The storm of Erif manifested, and charged the massive bastard sword of Provenance high above his head. And so we meet. First Edge. The two soldiers went through the portal, the axe wielder gifted Blade edge a smirk, that made him feel unnerved. That left him. He drew the sword on his hip, pulsating red, he was shocked to see that it reminded him of Magnafire. This makes -. his thoughts were cut by a fiery slice from Provenance, Blade Edge stepped back repelling the Blade, his bones cracking, he fought back the wave of power, sprawling backwards to find that to his dismay.

The portal had sealed itself.

The form of Erif charged again, Blade Edge defended and was forced back, as an arc of fire slammed into its chest. The sword let out a bellow of pain.

Stay with me Blade Edge!

Blade Edge grunted heavily. When in need fashion a portal. Where... I don't give a damn. Blade Edge stepped back, as the second portal opened. Where it would lead he didn't know. But Erif could not follow.

Anything was better than here.

---

In shock and unable to draw breath, Pyree looked frantically to find her attacker in the dim light. The lumpy deformed boulder of a humanoid lumbered the short distance in two steps to loom above her.

---

Blade Edge fell through it. Magnafire emerged cursing, and clutching his shoulder. He swore again seeing the strange thing that looked like an oversized boulder. The girl, who looked like most people he met so far. Out of place, was lying on back clearly caught by surprise and in no doubt more pain than he was. Blade Edge.

Yes.

After this we are having a holiday. A break.

I think I agree.

He had emerged as she called for help he then saw the one who was going help her, he had wings for a start, and looked like a warrior. A veteran. He simply nodded at the strange looking creature, and drew Blade Edge, directing it at the boulder creature, as if an invitation to attack. No respite, in a world that death haunts. You boulder thing. You will become just a pebble. I promise this.

18. losthawken

Welcome to your Deathmatch

Before Farmar could respond there was a flash of light and another man appeared between himself and Pyree. At first, he expected it to be the mysterious phantom that had come to their aid before. But on second look, he saw that the man was a warrior, although from the glance he gave he still seemed to be on their side. The man set his stance and prepared to engage the stone golem.

Faramar raised his wings and leapt from hiding to come to the aid of woman and the stranger. As soon as his feet left the ground, the winged man heard a massive, heavy footstep behind him. Something grabbed him by the tail and swung him forcefully back to the earth.

Stunned by the blow Faramar looked up to see the dark silhouette a troll towering over him. Another piercing light flashed, illuminating the hideous features and pitch black eyes of the beast above him. The ground beneath him suddenly began to shake and then to quake.

A massive structure started to rise out of the ground, destroying the humble stone laboratory of Magnalian as it erupted. Pale stone spires reached to the sky as the citadel forced its way onto the surface. When the ground settled, a massive Colosseum stood stark against the dusk light.

From the corner of his eye Faramar saw a dark figure pounce on the stranger who had come to their aid. Darkness quickly rushed in on him when a sharp blow struck him in the back of the head.

The last thing he remembered before losing consciousness was seeing a man with a glowing orb and a voice that called out, “Bind them and throw them into the ring.”

19. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Eslana Forcanus

Eslana sighed, having followed this Kitza thing so far, for so long. She looked over her shoulder, trying to find out where the cliffs and caves were located, but she couldn't see through the tall trees. They had traveled nearly ten miles by now, at least. Eslana could have gotten where they were going faster, if she knew where that was.

"Is it much further," Eslana asked.

"Hot getting now feel you soon see."

Eslana was frightened, of herself. She was starting to actually understand Kitza, whatever he, or she, was.

"So, I'm sorry to pry, but what, or who, are you?"

Kitza stopped, turning around on two of its three legs. Eslana tried to look past the unnatural features of Kitza; the fact that it had three legs, the oozing stuff coming from its skin, the strange neck, but it still creeped her out.

"Create master Kitza did for servant. Wrong Kitza happened bad something. Angry destroy try master, tower escape Kitza."

Eslana nodded. "So, the person who brought us all here, he's your master? Or, was rather?"

Kitza nodded. "Know Kitza who not am. World wander beautiful see things far travel. Some guide for places to get."

Eslana understood, and felt bad for Kitza. Whoever this maniac was that had brought her, Faramar, and the others here, had created Kitza. Now, after being banished, Kitza was simply wandering around, helping people find places. Just like it was doing now... for her.

"Kitza, listen, I can find my way from here," Eslana said, wiping the sweat off her forehead. "Thank you for your help, but... maybe you need to figure out who you are. I mean, I don't want to force you to guide me."

Kitza shook its head, and... smiled. "Leave no Kitza woman self guide. River hot here." Kitza turned, and pointed ahead.

Eslana looked, and saw a faint glow of something. She wiped her forehead again, and realized that it was hot. Perhaps...

She ran ahead, past Kitza, and felt the heat increasing. She wiped her forehead several times before reaching the banks of... a river of lava!

"Kitza, you did it! You found the Break!"

Kitza smiled again. Eslana wasn't so put off by the sight now, understanding Kitza's past and all he... or, it... had gone through.

"Kitza... when I am done with all of this, perhaps you could come back to my world with me. I'll help you understand who you are."

"Like Kitza that would."

"Good. Now," she said, taking the two pieces of Jor'Reda and setting them on the ground. She didn't know if her plan would work, but she really hoped. Being careful, she took the broken pieces of the sword and lightly dipped them into the flowing river of lava. They glowed red hot, shining brightly. Eslana wasn't sure what kind of metal Jor'Reda was made of, but it didn't glow like anything she'd ever seen.

"Here goes nothing."

Eslana kept the pieces of Jor'Reda just over the lava, and began chanting a spell that she'd learned long ago to repair weapons. It was a guaranteed thing on regular weapons, but she'd only used it on a unique weapon once... That had worked though. It was once when a large beast called a Fliria had chomped down on the Sword of the Elements. That had snapped it far worse than the shape Jor'Reda was in now. There had been several pieces, and jagged edges at that. At least Jor'Reda's break was a clean, flat edge. Those were far easier to repair.

Finally, after uttering the spell, and seeing the two ends glow so brightly, even Kitza had to cover its eyes, Eslana prayed to her ancestors to let the spell work. Then she let go of the two pieces, allowing them to fall in the river of lava.

She waited several minutes, not seeing anything glow or the sword resurface. Fearing she had lost it for Faramar, a tear escaped her eye. Kitza walked up and looked in.

"Gone sword?"

Eslana sighed. "I fear it is..."

She turned, wiping her eyes. She'd failed Faramar... The very heart and soul of his being was destroyed... twice, and both times by her. She could never forgive herself, and she wouldn't blame Faramar for taking her life if that's what it took for his forgiveness.

"Woman! Sword!"

Eslana wiped another tear away, and turned around, seeing the sword rise out of the lava, fully repaired and exactly as she had seen it the first time... the time when she'd zapped Faramar out of the air. It was beautiful... even more so than that first time. Now it was clean, and hopefully, it would act as though it had been just made. Maybe it would improve for Faramar now. She didn't know how old the sword was.

She walked towards it as it floated out to her, and it began glowing a dim white color. A light below her blinded her for a moment, and, after shielding her eyes, she saw that the Sword of the Elements was glowing as well. She grabbed Jor'Reda out of the air.

"What on..."

A crash below her knocked her and Kitza to the ground, as something burst through the ground. A black pillar, of something, reached to each of them and grabbed them.

"Kitza!"

"Woman!"

The two were pulled into the ground, but Eslana held onto Jor'Reda tightly, vowing never to let it go again until she could personally hand it to Faramar.

"Bind them as well," a voice said.

20. Areadrill

Areadrill New Member

Faramar

"Hello, anybody home?"

"Pyree that is not a good idea." shouted Faramar

It was too late. As his companion approached the house, all sorts of sounds were audible. To the left of the woman, he saw a boulder move. Baffled he stood to observe the phenomenon. Once again, he cursed himself as the limestone boulder took shape. Its moss covered edges pulsed as it moved, forming legs, arms and a headless torso more similar to Pyree and Eslana's primitive shape than Faramar's own. Furthermore, its swinging arm had hit Pyree in the chest, and she was now flying backwards.

"Faramar... help ..."

The peace keeper was now divided. It was clear to him that his friend needed assistance, but the boulder was now coming for him. Still pondering on the best strategy he jumped up in the air, to an altitude greater than that which the beast could achieve. Or so he hoped. Now that danger was apparently out of question, he could devise a plan of action. He assessed that Pyree was close enough for him to get to her if the boulder decided to focus on her again. Right now, a counterattack looked like the best option.

«But how will I fight a rock with... this?!»

Looking at the sword on his hand, he could see that it wouldn't be of much help against something as hard as that monster seemed to be. His only chance was to find a weak point. Suddenly, Faramar felt the absence of Jor'Reda more than he remembered. With it, the task at hand would be so much easier.

But suddenly, something else appeared beside the rocky colossus. Or was it someone? You can never be too sure in this world...
    Whatever it was, it seemed to had taken notice of him. However, it appeared that it was there to help him. It nodded and pointed its sword at the monster, a determined look in its face. The boulder too looked startled by the sudden arrival of the creature. The... creature seemed to have the anatomy as his downed friend. It donned a very dirty black cloak which in tatters. Upon closer observation, he noticed that underneath the cloak something was shining, and it seemed like armor. A rogue warrior perhaps...
    The odds were now even. Faramar pointed at his downed friend, and the man nodded. He started to fly towards her but suddenly he was yanked by the tail as a massive dark pillar rose from the ground. As he crashed he could see that his new ally was being ambushed and someone was issuing orders "Bind them and throw them into the ring.”

Everything went dark.

21. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Magnafire Drake

He was about to strike at the boulder thing before something hit him, he was too tired to turn, to even fight. Darkness claimed him once again, too weak to resist it he crumpled, bones buckling under a unknown pressure and a voice. Bind them and throw them into the ring. In his unconscious thought he nearly chuckled. Bound, I am bound.

'It makes us equal.'

'Yes, I guess it does.'

His sight had not deceived him, for out of the ground rose, the impregnable coliseum, another place that he was all to familiar with. Serpentine, first battle, blood, sweat and my precious tears. By the gods that was so long in my memories. Born was fear. Fear of the snakes, fear of their wraith. But to combat fear one must embrace it, for what it is. And so I fought. and I killed it. Because for what it's worth I heard you calling to me. From the abyss in my heart. Erif Angam. My future was decided on that very day. My destiny wrote on parchment. My soul forced to abandon my believes. All because you called to me.

I answered that calling. To save me from devastation. Something else emerged from me, a second option. Blade Edge.

'Blade Edge. My mortal Blade and sanities Edge. Save me from this. Save me from myself.'

'I can't. Only you can decide what happens next. This machination that formed before us, will decide your present and your future. For that I can only act as guide.'

'I thank you anyway. Your guidance has saved me once. It will do so again. I hope.'

22. losthawken

Magnalian the Summoner

The magenta hues of the breaking dawn set upon the ivory walls of Magnalian’s new coliseum as he took in its glory. His plan was perfect, instead of fighting the tide of warriors that wandered through the portals, he would harness them. In time, he would build an army of heroes to defend his Orb and free him to focus on extending his power throughout the multiverse.

From his landing above the arena Magnalian surveyed the six bodies that lay bound in the center of the ring. Ogini, the massive troll stood guard over the bodies. Picking up Faramar’s sword he surveyed it carefully and then turned to Magnalian with a shout.

“You said the monkey-bird and the girl with him killed my brother. But you lie, these weapons are dung,” the troll stomped the blade into pieces with is bare foot, “and they do not smell of my kin’s blood.”

“Easy Ogini, I assure you that my spies saw your brother fall to the winged one and his woman companion.”

Speaking of spies, where was that infernal Greywind? Magnalian’s trust in the wraith was growing thinner by the moment. All of his spies should have arrived by now. They had been told to come as soon as they saw the summoning of the grand arena.

Surveying the warriors below, the Summoner pondered whether there might be one that could replace the wraith. The winged one and the warrior caught with him certainly looked formidable. But Magnalian had to agree that the woman caught with them didn’t seem as much the warrior that he had been told killed his first troll. Then there was the other woman, the one caught along with that hideous creature, he hadn’t ventured down to survey them, but from his vantage he could tell by her garb and weapons that she might also make a formidable servant.

“Enough waiting then, I will kill them NOW!” bellowed the troll.

A blast of white hot energy hit the ground in front of the massive troll as it turned to charge the helpless prisoners.

“Patience my friend,” called out Magnalian, “You will get your chance, I promise. When the sun crests the mountains we will begin the games. But not until then.”

23. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Dras-Morna

Dras was having fun. After finding that walking amongst the dense undergrowth of the jungle was more trouble then it's worth she took to the trees. She found that leaping and swinging from each branch to the next was much like navigating the endless corridors and shelves in the Below. Only the landing spots were narrower. The Jungle passed more quickly with each tree that she traversed and Dras allowed herself a small smile as she started doing flips in the air just to add a little finesse to her movements. The incessant noise of the forest had dimmed the further she moved along, which only made her all the happier.

Dras paused in one of the larger trees. Balancing herself between the junction of the split trunk she took a look around. The Jungle was getting thinner and she could just see the beginnings of grass peeking out among the jungle undergrowth. She then looked up to the sky, though the light hasn't changed she could feel the dregs of sleep dragging upon her limbs. Dras unsuccessfully tried to strangle a yawn. Her ear tips twitched. Finally, she succumbed to the needs of her body. She opened her bag and pulled out a thin bread and some dried meat. As she ate she kept a wary eye on the forest around her, her ears open to any sound that may betray ill intention, and her mind clear of unnecessary thoughts. No matter how she tried, however, Lan kept inching his way into her mind. Dras soon gave up and summoned every memory she had of him particularly the one where they first met...

Dras watched the bed from the shadows. Using her infrared vision she watched as the slumbering form on the bed breathed in his last few breaths. She waited patiently till the guard outside the window moved away, then crept silently to the bedside. She did a quick glance around again to make sure no one was around then unsheathed her knife. Dras raised her arm and, steeling herself for the act, she plunged the knife down upon the figure in the bed. Faster then she predicted a hand shot out from the bed and clasped her wrist. She quickly followed up the defense with her other hand, which also held a dagger. Again her wrist was captured and the male rose up from his bed and forced her back. Dras's eyes were filled with that of the males eyes, not red eyes but bone white, as if all the color was drained from them. Dras forced herself under control and reached over to bite the male's hand. He took a sharp intake of breath but did not let go, she could hear him gritting his teeth. Finally she managed to stand and he also rose with her, he gripped her wrist so that she bit her lip from crying out as she only just managed to hold on to her weapons.

Dras kicked up with her leg but he managed to dodge the blow before she made contact. He swiped out with his foot at the same time and knocked her remaining leg out from under her. She landed on the floor with him on top of her, her breath leaving her chest in one fell swoop. He straddled her legs, pinning them, and forced her arms out to the side and by sheer brute strength kept her from moving them. Dras stopped fighting and lay there glaring at the man with intense annoyance rather then hate, she could not hate the one person who has bested her in her line of work. She respected him.

The male leaned down towards her face and spoke to her,

"Now why are you trying to kill me,
    jalil."

"I was paid." she said simply. He tilted his head to the side,

"Oh? And by who might I ask?"

"Dram-Sarabi. He as need of your death and offered me much gold to make it happen."

"My father has wanted me dead since I returned from the surface."

"Because of your eyes, Blind One?" He chuckled,

"Perhaps so. I would pay you more gold if you faked my death with me and allowed myself to escape."

"I was paid to kill."

"We could arrange a killing for you as well. Such as your old employer?" Dras smiled,

"I love a twist in fate."

Dras's eyes lowered in slumber, but a smile graced her face as she fell into her world of dreams. Before she fell asleep she thought determinedly,Udos orn hu ul'naus 'schna, Lan, usstan swariy ol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An incredible loud noise forced Dras from her slumber. She woke up startled and instinctively drew her sword against the invasion. It was the same noise that plagued her when she entered this world and she gritted her teeth against the onslaught. Suddenly she was hit by something in the shoulder, the force was so great it knocked her from her perch and she fell towards the ground. She landed heavily but managed to roll out of it. Her katana got tangled in her cloak and she struggled to get it free as she she glanced around for what hit her. The noise kept getting louder. Then she saw them.

A swarm. A large swarm of insects. Crawling along the ground and flitting from tree to tree, each one the size of her foot and with mandibles that easily crush her arm.

"Xsa" she mumbled, and she raised her sword and steeled herself for the onslaught.

24. GaleSkies

GaleSkies Active Member

Pyree had remained conscious while she was tied up and dragged away by the giant boulder. By the time she regained awareness of the space-time threads in her bracelet her life was no longer in danger. As a captive, she focused on the events that followed.

By physical laws she did not comprehend or hidden technologies she could not see, a massive coliseum rose out of the very earth, though by structural elements alone she doubted that it could have lay hidden beneath until this very moment. The busy chirping hum of the jungle receded as Pyree passed through and enormous gated arch. The high stone walls blocked out almost all of the nearby sound waves. Now she could only hear the crashing footfalls of the mobile monolith that carried her.

While the structure was spectacular, the movement within attracted her eyes more. Creatures, with as equally questionable anatomy as the boulder that carried her, wandered the center of the coliseum. They moved about with purpose depositing and disarming captives at the direction of a single man. Pyree slid her bracelet and cutting tool further up her sleeves before the man's attention could turn toward her. His sharp barks expressed a level of contempt and urgency, as though it was a waste of his breath to explain his commands. This man was the evil one she was warned about. Pyree had all the information she needed. She fell asleep among her fellow captives as a plan formulated in her mind.

Upon awakening Pyree did not move a muscle. She kept her eyes closed and breathing even.

“Enough waiting then, I will kill them NOW!”

She flinched only when a blast of earth flew into her face.

“Patience my friend," responded the familiar contempt filled voice, "You will get your chance, I promise. When the sun crests the mountains we will begin the games. But not until then.”

She felt her bracelet pressing against her wrist and the sleek grip of the cutting tool far down her sleeve. No one could kill her as long as she could still teleport. With her eyes still closed she pulled out a thread one of the eight threads remaining. Escaping was worth the risk of not knowing exactly where she was going. She teleported away leaving the crude ropes behind.

“Ahhh- shit!” Pain coursed through her knee. Pyree opened her eyes and looked down. Her leg had impaled a beetle mid flight. Its wings twitched frantically as the matter previously occupying its abdomen disintegrated converting to heat energy. The burning she felt would leave swelling soreness. The beetle however, was as good as dead. She immediately recognized the chirping buzz that had previously plagued her for hours. Blinking away her tears she took in her surroundings. She was back in the jungle with its resident insect life. She got a shiver down her spine remembering the half day running from the swarm of giant bugs.

There were only a trickle of insects nearby, but through the trees she saw an agitated mass in pursuit of... a woman. As though somehow watching her own self, Pyree stared at the woman fleeing from the swarm. It only took a moment for her to realize this was some other unfortunate traveler. Though the fleeing woman's hair was short and black like Pyree's own, she had blue skin and wielded a thin curved blade deftly used to slice obstacles without missing a step.

“Hey!” Pyree called out, moving in a direction to cut her off. She forgot the beetle still encasing her knee and stumbled awkwardly.

The woman turned her head, but made no indication of changing her direction.

"Screw this." Pyree mumbled to herself. Taking yet another thread from her bracelet, Pyree teleported several meters ahead of the woman freeing her leg from the dead bug in the process. Pyree was used to the swarm's movements anticipating the zig zags that tried to cut the woman off. With her cutting tool in hand she halved several of the flanking bugs.

Much closer now, Pyree saw the woman was blindfolded with a red sash and somehow able to dodge bugs and run at the same time. Pyree had trouble enough with just the dense mesh of tree roots. Regardless, this was just the kind of distraction Pyree needed for her plan. She matched pace with the blindfolded woman, attacking the swarm together.

“Need a little help? I can get you out of this mess.” she said only half lying. Pyree planned on heading from this frying pan straight to the fire. If all went well, a beetle stir-fry would join her.

25. Morvane

Morvane New Member

Dras-Morna

Dras watched as the swarm grew larger. Maybe I shouldn't fight these creatures, she thought. She took a quick look behind her, the forest growth was indeed thinner and she believed she could make a run for it. Casting one quick look back at the swarm she turned tail and ran. Using her katana she sliced any hazardous obstacles out of her way and leaped or ducked under any she couldn't. The insects closed quickly and tried to close her in. Dras managed to evade most of them, but knew she couldn't for long.

Suddenly, something appeared a few feet in front and to the side of her. It seemed to be a female, but none like she had ever seen. Her skin, for one, was not blue. She also wore strange clothing and seemed to have her leg encased in one of the bugs. Dras soon passed her and the female left her thoughts, whether she survives or not is of no concern to me, she thought cynically. Dras continued running.

Again, the female appeared out of nowhere but this time right in front of her. Dras paused only for a moment out of surprise then continued running. The female kept pace with her,

"Need a little help? I can get you out of this mess," said the female. The female spoke a odd variation of Common and it took a short while for Dras to translate.

"You have no sarol, eh, weapon." Dras reached for her right hip and pulled out her dagger, "Take this. Do not drop." Dras said to her in broken Common.

She female reached for it and held it awkwardly but with enough familiarity that Dras believed that she would would not hurt herself. Dras stopped short and begun attacking the swarm fluidly. She pulled out one of her sai and used both weapons in harmony. The female kept the dagger in hand but rather used a strange device that cut through the bugs with a blast of heat more often.

"This is weapon enough. My name is Pyree Lasstor, I'm not from around here," The female smiled, "But neither are you right?" Dras nodded, "Thought not." The female, Lasstor, cut through a few more bugs. "I finally discovered the source of this planet's anomalies but my friends and I were captured. I don't have much strength, but I've seen what these little buggers can do. The bugs are after you and I'm after the bugs. I'm thinking that maybe we could make a delivery together, and this cargo definitely calls for a hazard fee."

"I not understand," Dras said, her brow furrowing with frustration at hearing words but not understanding most of them. Lasstor worked through the bugs towards Dras till they were almost back to back.

"Can you trust me?" Dras paused, startled, earning her a cut across the cheek from a bug she missed. Trust did not come easily to someone like her, especially within the Drow society. She trusted only two people, herself and Lan. But the woman was already helping Dras fight off the swarm. Dras cursed, if this woman could remove her from this swarm she would be willing to to be in her akh

"Siyo, I trust," the female smiled then grasped Dras's wrist.

"Great! What's your name so I know who to credit?" Dras gave the female a curious look. But then she shrugged, thinking that if they were already a akh she might as well know her name.

"I Dras-Morna," she pointed to the female, "Lasstor may say Dras."

"Alright Dras. When I tell you to, close your eyes and keep them closed. Ready?" Dras closed her eyes and used the sounds of the insects to still keep them at bay from her skin. Dras nodded towards the female.