1. Cherie

Cherie New Member

Chasing My Tail

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Cherie, Nov 10, 2010.

Hello, again,

Well, after wading through loads of research on getting published, I am totally bewildered. Rule #1? Avoid publishers, agents, query sites, or PODs asking for $$$ upfront. THEY pay YOU! (heh heh)

Reputable publishers won't accept manuscripts or queries, only scammers will. Huh? So what option does that leave us?

The recommended query sites themselves only gave basic searches, and none came up with a single agent for the how-to genre. BUT, for $$$ (heh, heh) you can join and get REAL information, which violates rule #1.

Other than "you can't get there from here", I'm coming up with nothing. Does every writer really go through this? It appears that you can do research for the rest of your natural life, follow all the safety guidelines, and still not come up with any viable means to actually get published.

Is this the way it really is? :(

Cherie

2. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    You need to get yourself an agent to represent your book, as alot of publishers don't like manuscripts from those who haven't got one. It just saves them time and energy rifling through all the poorly written ones, because an agent will only back a novel they think is going to get published.

The agent, if they're legitimate, will not ask you for any money. They'll select the manuscript they want to represent the same way a publisher accepts/rejects pieces, and then they'll take a cut of the profits if you do get it accepted.

3. Cherie

Cherie New Member

Thanks, Ashleigh,

I am trying to get an agent, but my book is a how-to type, and there are no agents listed for that genre in any of the agent or query sites that are recommended.

I have gone to the bookstores, as others have suggested, to find the publishers listed on books like mine. Not a single one of those publishers are accepting queries. How does one find the agents that brokered those deals to the publishers?

I am combing publications trying to find agents who handle my kind of non-fiction, but so far every one I have run into is on the warning list. I'm still trying, but I am just spinning my wheels so far.

The last ditch effort is POD publishers, but some of them are demanding hefty fees and complicated requirements. I will also have to get a $150 tax ID, and pay for shipping supplies. And, the only venue for this is Amazon.com, which also charges a series of fees, on top of the POD fees, etc. I have recently read that Amazon is NOT the way to sell books, you need to get them into book STORES. This is all getting so complicated! Man!

Thanks again for the response,

Cherie

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...totally true... no legit agent or publisher will charge you a single penny...

...totally untrue... who told you that?... many reputable publishers accept unagented mss and even more will accept unagented queries... especially for non-fiction... so your options are to keep querying both agents and publishers, till one bites...

...don't bother with such sites... that's the scam!... you should be searching through the agent listing sites, where you'll find out which ones rep the kind of book you have to offer... email me and i'll send you some good legit, totally free listings...

...no... the smartest ones [no offense intended] do their homework and learn what i've noted above and then do what we all have to do... query, query, query!...

...only if you don't aim your research in the right direction...

...nope!... you can email me for both agent and publisher listings, as well as answers to any other questions you may have...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

...recommended by whom?... i've seen plenty of agents whose list of what they rep includes non-fiction [which covers how-tos], so you're obviously consulting sources that are clueless...

...by creative and tireless googling, if the info is out there... but are you sure they don't accept queries?... or is it that they just don't accept 'submissions' [which is not the same thing]?...

then stop combing publications... those who advertise are usually scammers... legit agents don't have to advertise...

...if your book is something that people will buy, then don't resort to the last/worst alternative, keep working at getting an agent or publisher for it... but do it in a way that'll work, not the way you've been going about it...

5. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

What about self publishing?
    I meant everything has faults and goods, nothing perfect. That's life but follow your gut and be careful.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

thanks for the merge, cog!

agent v...

self-publishing a how-to can be a viable alternative if one has 'visible' professional standing and connections in the subject area that provide a built-in market... that is, if the author has access to professional groups for promoting the book and selling it, such as at seminars, conventions, association meetings, etc.... otherwise, it's better to go with a paying publisher...

7. Cherie

Cherie New Member

Your kindnesses are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the wonderful responses, Agent Vatani, mammamaia, and ashleigh!

I am learning so much on this forum!

Cherie