Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hortaux

hortaux New Member

Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by hortaux, Apr 6, 2009.

I'm in a corner right now, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. There's a short story due in two days for my English class, and I'm stuck. Stopped. Completely blocked. I've been trying since this task was assigned to come up with something— anything— worthwhile. I read new books, listened to new music, used online generators by the cartload, reread some favorite books, listened to comfortable eighties music, and still nothing. I can't find an idea I can get behind.

The assignment's only requirement is that I connect the story to song lyrics; the idea is to be inspired by song lyrics, and base the theme/mood/feel/character(s)/plot off of the lyrics. Since I'm not usually inspired by music, I thought I could get away with making a tenuous connection (you know, think up the story, then find the lyrics?)... but there's no connection to make if I don't have a story.

But I'm not here to beg for your plot ideas (that would be quite rude). No, my questions are these...

1) What inspires you most?
    2) Do you know of any prompt websites, idea generators or the like? I've tried Seventh Sanctum, and some others, but I can't find any that help...
    3) What are some themes that interest you?
    4) How do you get past writer's block?

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. :D

2. Atari

Atari Active Member

Hmmmmm. . . .

Oh, I'm sorry, Orthodox Police. I meant,

"Hm. . . ."

Why do you not just write something that you are most interested in, or something that almost everyone can easily be entertained by?

A quick detective story! Everyone likes a good mystery. It's hard to dislike writing first-person narrative that's so casual and easy.

"I don't know what to do with myself, these days. Yesterday, some chick slides an envelope under my door frame and walks away before I can find out who she is. The envelope contained a silver chain, silver cross, and a silver bullet. Thank the stars that this isn't too creepy or anything. Also, I have an unusually high door frame. Someone was half-asleep when he was doing the measurements, apparently, and you could fit a baby gorilla under my door. Makes for interesting surprises."

3. Chaoslogic

Chaoslogic Member

Hortaux,

what about writing a short story about someone trying to connect a short story to lyrics. Your struggle sounds like a good plot for a short story.

1) What inspires you most? Reading. When I read, I want to write.
    2) Do you know of any prompt websites, idea generators or the like? I've tried Seventh Sanctum, and some others, but I can't find any that help... I recommend TVTropes. You can never run out of good starting points there.
    3) What are some themes that interest you? The power of friendship, and stories about trial and perseverence.
    4) How do you get past writer's block? I draft (that is, writing for the sake of writing and making it up as I go. It's like snapping a bunch of pictures and getting one good photo out of ten crappy pictures taken over a single day).

4. bullets4booze

bullets4booze New Member

What the ****! Are you attending this class in college? Because all my English classes are ultra boring... Story making sounds fun!

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pick your three favorite songs and see what ideas you can come up with just from the title... or google for the whole lyric and see if that helps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.