1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. Rumple

Rumple Member

No time to write

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by Rumple, Mar 19, 2017.

We have all had this thought in our head at some point. "Ugh, there no time for me to write, I'll get to it tomorrow." Or "I'm too tired." I have said that to myself on plenty occasions. You are normal.

I am awake anywhere from eighteen to twenty hours a day. I live an hour away from my work, without traffic add an extra half an hour with traffic. I wake up two hours early to get ready feed the dogs and let them out, maybe make breakfast for myself If I can find the time, which usually I just grab something easy on my way out the door. Guess what I still write. How, you ask?

We live in a very technology driven world, why don't we capitalize on what's available to us? If I do not have time to brew a fresh pot of coffee and slurp it down while I login to my computer to finger mash buttons because I had a good dream that gave me inspiration, I still can capture that down. Do you ever get a great idea or inspiration but always seem to be driving and can't copy it down?

There are plenty of apps or for iPhone users just use your notepad and microphone. It's like a push to speak and it will record your words. The punctuation isn't there at all but it is still copied down for you for later.

I live to write, I can be whoever, whatever, and go wherever.

You have time to watch TV, search the tube for hours watching videos, and or scrolling down social media sites. You have time for that but not to write?

You have writer block focus on something else write a short a poem a comic, push past your comfort zone to be a writer who is truly well rounded you need to practice this is a passion, but if you wish to make it a profession you will find time to practice, instead of liking a post about how crappy Stacy's life is with all her kids, her deadbeat husband, and the fact she just had her second divorce WRITE!

Even if it's on a notepad you carry with you in between emails or conference calls at work, or even on your lunch break, jot some stuff down because a year worth of that is better than a year worth of excuses.

Happy writing everyone.

2. Zoe Jackson

Zoe Jackson New Member

So true. I'm currently not working but I have two very young children who are still very dependent on me and I feel like I never have time to write. I've found myself sometimes feeding one whilst scribbling on a colouring page of my daughters with her glitter pen with my free hand, but it doesn't matter when or what I write on, I'm writing and that's all that matters.

Rumple likes this.
  3. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Back when I used to write for a film website, I used to write articles on my phone. Not a smartphone, I mean typing it out on the keypad as text messages. Thankfully, technology has moved on, and we can use every opportunity to put some words down. I use Scrivener to write, and they have an app which syncs between my ipod and my laptop, so I can always be writing in the current file.

4. Rumple

Rumple Member

A friend of mine uses that as well he likes it a lot for not being formal like Microsoft Office. I always try to write something because in today's busy hectic society it's very easy to forget a good idea or something you want to add into a current work in progress.

5. FutaMuffin

FutaMuffin New Member

Indeed, I try and write something every day. Even if it's just a few paragraphs scribbled onto a folded piece of A4 paper.
    One of the best gadgets I've invested in is a Kindle Fire with no books on it, simply because the documents app is handy for working on my stories at work. Thankfully there is no public wi-fi connection where I work, so I'm not easily distracted by the internet and allows me to proofread, compose or even just brainstorm over a lunch break. Sometimes I get really lucky and end up watching integrity testing which means sitting on my arse for anywhere between 4-8 hours a shift.

6. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

Back when I used to work in a full-time office job, I'd have periods where I was doing work that required no concentration at all. I'd effectively write books in my head. Later on, I'd jot down some of the ideas I'd had. Now, I'm reaping the benefit, as I have at least a dozen fairly well puzzled out concepts for novels that I'm currently drawing on.

7. Rumple

Rumple Member

That's awesome! I sometimes even think of something when I'm out on the town to add into a piece in the works. You never know where you will or who you will get inspiration from.

8. Orihalcon

Orihalcon Contributing Member

On the bus home tonight from a symphony concert I decided to start writing something new on my phone. I think the page I wrote is some of the best stuff I've ever written. I've just now came back to writing after several years without it.

When I wake up tomorrow I will be rethinking my assumption that I can write only when I'm at home in front of my computer.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. joe sixpak

joe sixpak Banned

priorities!

we all have the same 24 hours
    some of us have to sleep more, others less
    some commute a long way, some work at home

if anything is truly important then people find time to do it
    others choose to work longer and harder at the day job and stay employed and get promoted
    some move to a cardboard box and spend days in the library writing
    and in between are many other options

you have to figure out what is best for you
    if you can piece together those little bits of wasted time then you can write anyway

Rumple likes this.
  10. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I have no excuse. <gets off the internet>

Rumple likes this.