1. Doclazerus

Doclazerus New Member

Noir, Sci-Fi, and Comedy...can the genres mix?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction' started by Doclazerus, May 10, 2016.

So I've been having this vivid idea in my head that I've been fleshing out for a while now. But as you may guess from the title, it involves a mixture of Noir themes, as well as some Science Fiction, and heavy environmental comedy.

Basically I was hoping someone could provide some insight into genre combinations. I don't actually have much experience with Noir style, but for this particular plot, I feel it fits perfectly as the foundation.

To give you an example. The main character is a "Reaper". He is sort of a freelance detective that works in hunting down rogue spirits that have escaped judgement. The setting is a dark, industrial super-cityscape that exists between worlds in the multiverse. Because of this there is a massive assortment of difference species, creatures, and beings ranging from mundane to absurd. Part of the comedy is in the actual absurdity of some of these characters, however that very absurdity won't be addressed in the story.

For everyone in this world, these bizarre features are commonplace, and don't stand out as bizarre at all. Case point being the main character lives in a condo where the elevator assistant is named B.B. That stands for Burning Bush. He is quite literally...a living...bush....with pyrokinetic abilities.

Thanks for reading. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I'd really appreciate if anyone is aware of good examples of this having already been employed. I'd love to read something along these lines to see how it can be executed properly.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Yeah, you can mix and match whatever you want. Lots of people do it.

3. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Sounds like a good premise for a story. I would read it, haha. When you said 'He is sort of a freelance detective that works in hunting down rogue spirits that have escaped judgement' it rang bells but can't think of titles unfortunately. However, when you started mentioning weird creatures Men in Black popped into my head. I love the sound of B. B!

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Um, hello..... Brazil. ;) Perhaps the noir bit isn't exactly dead on, but close enough.

[​IMG]

peachalulu likes this.
  5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sure why not. Back in the 40's noir was often matched up with humor - Topper 2, Murder He Says, Stella. And I even recall a wonderful bizarre noir, comedy, musical, romance - You and Me with George Raft and Sylvia Sidney. Sci-fi wasn't big in the noir period but Invation of the Body Snatchers is pretty noir. Same with Soylent Green. And there's a couple of low budget movies in the 80s that feel kinda noir and sci fi - Scanners, They Live, and Wavelength. Or sci-fi humor - Brazil ( like Wreybies suggested ) or Cherry 2000. A lot though don't seem to be able to juggle the entire mix.

6. Dearest Mothership

Dearest Mothership Member

Perhaps, but that can be said of many genre combinations.

Also: @Doclazerus Do you happen to have a name for your MC? IF not, may I suggest Moses, as long as you have a burning bush?

7. cydney

cydney Banned

Noir is always good. But you need comedy to live through the sci-fi. Just sayin'. :)

8. SarahMillicann

SarahMillicann New Member

Often horror is mixed with humor. This is usually found in movie screenplays. However, for me, you cannot have a 'funny' horror movie, horror novel, or horror short story.

Horror is horror. There's nothing funny about it. :)

And that's a lot of horrors! :D

9. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I'd be inclined to agree with a movie if the intent is to stay true to the theme and have the viewer nail-biting/riding their adrenaline.

But in a book (if you're a slow reader like me) there's time surely for respite between scenes and that space can on occasion be filled with bit of light relief. I'd be mentally exhausted if a horror novel (that did the business of making me horrored/horrified scared) remained aligned with a single purpose for it's entirety. I can't cite an example but will ETA if one comes to me.

ETA Resumé with Monsters

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016