1. endlesstrax

endlesstrax New Member

Scared of Starting....

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by endlesstrax, Feb 5, 2012.

For a while now I have had the desire to write my own book. I have a fairly good idea of what the book would contain (non-fiction), and research isn't really something I need to do too much of, as it's a subject close to my heart. Having said that I still can not get around to starting it. Everything is in my head, and not on paper as it should. I'm unsure if I feel nervous or scared about it, or a mix of the two. Never been someone that take failure well, and everything I commit to I put in at least 100% to ensure I succeed. Maybe that's the part that I'm afraid of, I am completely out of my comfort zone, and failure would have a detrimental effect on my emotional well-being.

Well it looks like I may have answered my own questions. It was nice talking. ;)

Any tips to getting started? Or a way of 'breaking me in gently'?

2. jc.

jc. Member

I'm the same way. My only advice is to not sweat the small stuff and to take baby steps. :) Instead of focusing on the end result, break it down into lots of mini-projects to make it more manageable. As you build confidence I'm sure it gets easier.

3. jonsnana

jonsnana New Member

Yes, if it is non-fiction I start by writing up the stuff in my head into note form so that I can chase down and document all the facts. Even experts, in the day when anyone on the internet can claim to be an expert, should use as much supportive documentation as possible. Once the notes pile up I remind myself that the two hardest parts of writing are starting and finishing. Then organize the notes, create a good beginning chapter and go. You are bound to fail if you never start. Good luck and good writing.

4. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

As has been said, start small.

Don't say 'today I am going to start my book', say 'today I am going to write a sentence.'

If you achieve that, you've met one goal.

Then say 'today I am going to finish the paragraph' and so on.

I find that it's just a case of finding the thread to unravel. Once you've got the end, it tends to come away pretty quickly :)

Good luck

5. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

This.

Very sound advice as well as Kallithrix.

Also, sometimes in order to grow you have to go outside your comfort zone, take a risk of failure in order to truly succeed. Sorry if I sound like a self-help book, it's well-intentioned. :)

6. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

The only real failure would be to never have started.

7. endlesstrax

endlesstrax New Member

Thank you for the advice guys. Hopefully I can pick up some good ideas from this forum to help build my confidence.

Started the baby steps, today I made 3 files to start my brainstorming and structure plan. They are blank still, but baby steps right? :D

8. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Good for you! We're proud of you endlesstrax. You've started a wonderful journey.

One small suggestion. Try writing something every day, even if it's just a little. This will help you develop good habits and build your confidence.

9. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

there is no challenge in only doing stuff that you already know you'll be able to do well. If you ever want to challenge yourself, and writing a novel sure is a challenge, you have to step out of your comfort zone, and the reward will be so much greater since you won't know the outcome. The goal doesnt have to be getting it published but just finishing it. put small goals, like writing a page, then a chapter, etc.

10. Moira

Moira New Member

The best writing is done when you're having fun. If you stress you're going to be your own failure. Get comfortable, (tea and cookies?) then let it happen. :eek:)

11. Snap228

Snap228 New Member

I agree with taking baby steps and starting small and all that jazz. Write an outline, make sure you have everything you need.

But also, and I suggest this because it's helped me in the past, look into joining a writer's group of some kind. Find a support system. Joining this board is a great start, but there's something to be said for getting together at a coffee shop or bookstore with people that have the same mind-set as you. If you don't have a writer's group in your area, start one! You don't have to be a great, accomplished writer to start a writer's group. You don't even have to bring your own writing at first, just show up and absorb what's going on around you. It's a great way to build your knowledge as well as your confidence.

12. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I also agree with baby steps.

When you start, you might like it very much ;). I was the same as you a few days ago, it took me some time to decide to get off my *** and start writing.

I await your work, and see great potentiel in you!