1. No-Name Slob

No-Name Slob Member Supporter Contributor

Non-Fiction Writers

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by No-Name Slob, May 21, 2016.

Who are you? Sometimes I feel a little lonely in this sea of fantasy/sci-fi/erotica/[insert fiction genre here] world. So! Identify yourselves. Maybe we can help each other.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

One of my goals is to have a piece of nonfiction published in a magazine. It would something about a current event or my experience with law stuff. Usually I end up starting a piece and never finishing it (just like fiction).

I did find a good list of nonfiction markets if anyone's interested.

No-Name Slob likes this.
  3. No-Name Slob

Awesome!!! Thanks! Sadly, it seems WF isn't one of those markets. :rolleyes: Lol.

I'm still here tho. I'll just stand over in the corner with my memoirs. :D

4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

I wrote that i was a non-fiction writer once, but that was its self a work of fiction o_O

5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Hey now, I am sure in at least one of the alternate universes that exists, every word of what I have written is non-fiction. And yours would by design would be fiction in at least one of them as well. Blame science for that theory, so don't shoot the messenger. But in this verse that will be a big no, unless you don't believe that it could be true events of the future that has yet to have happened. Ah, now that is much more a play at the hands of fate, and may still yet come to pass. So it all falls upon your mental shoulders to figure out what is and isn't fiction.

Or the short and to the point: Reality is for people who lack imagination. :supergrin:

Mumble Bee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  6. No-Name Slob

:superfrown:

7. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Hes got a point, someone with a better imagination would have replied with more than just an emoji :(

(I'm kidding, i would never actually mean that, we live in the same state please don't hunt me down and kill me... I know everyone in Texas owns a gun.)

Cave Troll and Oscar Leigh like this.
  8. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Sure we have non-fiction writers. Their corpses make a solid foundation. Both forms of writing have their merits. I hope no-one on here feels alienated because they write non-fiction as well or exclusively.

Mumble Bee likes this.
  9. No-Name Slob

I'm lonely in Texas, too, as one of the few who doesn't own a gun, nor has any desire to. Lol.

IT'S OKAY YOU GUYS. I wore a lot of black and listened to The Cure constantly as a teenager. It's prepared me for such instances as these. :agreed:

Oscar Leigh and Mumble Bee like this.
  10. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I am sorry.:cry:

Here, I was bad:cry:

HappyPaddle.jpg Now turn that frown up side down. It is perfectly fine that you write non-fiction. :superlaugh:

11. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Almost all the writing I do is non-fiction. Some of it has been technical, some of it straightforward reportage, and recently a lot of it is the sort of humorous or introspective essay that David Sedaris specializes in. I'm just wrapping up a book on my experiences with Volkswagen buses, which will be available by the end of the summer, and have finished some chunks of a book on the history of hang gliding in the US.

Sadly, I have not done a lick of writing on fantasy, science fiction, alternative universes, bodice ripping, or crime novels, so I can relate to your feelings of loneliness.

And by the way, I love that sig line you have, written by Kurt Vonnegut. One of my own favorite quotes is "Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I find the capacity for it to be terrifying and absolutely vile." I sure miss that guy.

Oscar Leigh and No-Name Slob like this.
  12. No-Name Slob

Solidarity! It's us against the world. :p

Fun fact: I was writing my senior paper on Vonnegut when I received a phone call from my mom that he died. And when I say "writing my senior paper when ... " I literally mean, I was in the process of typing it as the call came in. I had to go back and change everything from "is" to "was," etc. So, remind me never to write an essay on you. But yes, it was a very sad day, and I still think about the works he may have still had in him. :( There's a biography coming out soon about his life that's been 30 years in the making. Can't wait to see it!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Thank God for word processing. Think about how it might have been forty years ago, when you would have had to retype the whole damn thing.
    Noted!

Oscar Leigh and No-Name Slob like this.
  14. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I write non-fiction for a day job, but it's not the kind people think of when they say non-fiction... I.e. it's not for entertainment. I write bids to help my company win work. It uses many of the same skills as fiction writing and the restrictions are great for instilling discipline.