1. NathanBrazil

NathanBrazil New Member

noob questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NathanBrazil, Mar 24, 2010.

Where is the best place to post Noob questions?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Depends on the questions. If you look at the two upper sections on the front page of the forum, you will find the most appropriate areas fro questions to go, depending on the kind of question. Read through the different sections.

3. NathanBrazil

NathanBrazil New Member

But just wanted to know the best ways to handle large edits. Post as a new thread or as an edit?

You can beat me later. :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you are talking about a revision to a piece of writing you posted in the Review Room, please post all revisions as a new post at the end of the same thread.

5. Wreybies

Yes.

Remember that this is a workshop, not a look-at-me-shop.

Posting revisions within the same thread gives the other members a look at the editing process. It gives you a convenient place to review your original work, your reviews and revision all in one thread, as well.

And please remember that if you have aspirations of publication, you should not post large portions of a given piece of work. Just small excerpts.

6. NathanBrazil

NathanBrazil New Member

Cogito & Wreybies - Thanks. I always worry about posting excerpts and losing the feel of the story. Is there an upper word limit that we should try not to exceed? I think my aspirations are, please god please, somebody teach me how to write.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not a hard limit. If you only post a paragraph, critiquers don't have much to go on. Post 3000 words, no one will want to tackle it because it's too much. Your best bet is to find some digestable size in between. If in doubt, go for smaller.

8. Wreybies

I cannot think of there being a limit I could tell you, but of an entire novel (the whole thing) no more than maybe 5-6 pages. Book pages, not Word pages.

If you are looking for a more in-depth place to really go over an entire work, this is where writing groups (real live people in real live groups) come into play. They usually exact some stringent rules on the members they allow in concerning privacy. They tend to be choosy as to new members, and the main reason for this is because of the access they are going to give to others to their work. It's only natural.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good advice from the guys... and if you really want 'somebody [to] teach me how to write' i do that privately, if you're so inclined...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com