1. starkweather

starkweather New Member

Research question: publishing process

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by starkweather, Aug 29, 2008.

Hi all

Let me assure you that I've not just signed up to ask this question and bugger off again—not at all. :D

My name is Craig and I've been writing for a while now, but have not got published, or even tried to for that matter. It's definitely something I like doing though and I've recently been writing a story that I think is going somewhere.

In my story, the central character is a first-time published novelist, and I need to know about the process in terms of a publisher telling you your getting publish, to it being on the shelves in shops and then onto payment. Do you get paid monthly based on sales or yearly? I take it a first-time published author wouldn't get any sort of advance payment? Anything else, such as book signing events and that, would be most helpful.

2. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Hi there Craig! Welcome!
    Providing they were working with a good publishing company, a first-time author would most likely receive an advance payment.
    For example:
    Author gets £5,000 advance payment. Book sells and earns £8,000. Publishing company would earn back the advance payment of £5,000, and author would get the other £3,000. It's something like that, I'm not entirely sure.
    I suggest purchasing Your First Novel by Ann Rittenberg and Laura Whitcomb. It gives you a detailed look at all the nuts and bolts of publishing, including the various methods of payment.

3. starkweather

starkweather New Member

Hey thanks for that speedy response. Heading to Borders tomorrow and will look up the book you mentioned—Your First Novel by Ann Rittenberg and Laura Whitcomb.

4. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

No problem. :) You can also order it off Amazon.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

imo, few publishers these days will offer an advance to a new, unknown writer... it's best to go by the info given in that book and by checking out the sites of a few publishers, to see what they offer in the way of advances and royalties...

beyond book signings, one could well be expected to do tv and radio interviews, give talks to various book-relevant groups and other such promotional stuff...

6. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Listen to Maia, she's a genius when it comes to things like this. :)

7. starkweather

starkweather New Member

Thanks again. ;)

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ok, lucy... your check's in the mail...

seriously, i think 'genius' is a bit of a stretch [though literally true, if IQ's count], but thanks for the kind words and your trust in me...

hugs, m