1. Cammie B

Cammie B Member

Novel Novel Writing Strategies

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Cammie B, Sep 12, 2017.

So, about three years ago I started writing a novel. Then life happened, and I've only recently gotten back into writing. I really want to see this novel through to the end. How do you guys stay focused on your work and write effectively? Do you have particular strategies you use?

2. Pyra Sunny

Pyra Sunny New Member

For me, writing is an escape from real life, so the more life is happening the more I want to write. When life isn't happening and I have lots of down time (like right now) I end up rewriting old stuff and editing, which puts me off of the writing groove. Rereading the story I have so far tends to be my go to for getting back in a story. No clue if that's helpful...

Jipset likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Having a routine is a biggie. Whatever gets you to write every day, even if its only a page or two. I worked nights for years, so for me it was always about getting up, sitting down, and getting to work before I could get distracted by something else. The words add up quicker than you think. And in theory you should get better with the steady practice.

xanadu likes this.
  4. Cammie B

Cammie B Member

That is helpful, thank you!

5. Cammie B

Cammie B Member

A routine is definitely something I need to establish.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

Having a routine is the only way I've been able to be productive. Forward momentum is essential. If I miss a day or two, it's incredibly hard to get myself back into the flow. Sometimes that means forcing yourself, but even still you can always edit later. Much more important to not lose momentum.

IMO, of course.

Cammie B and Homer Potvin like this.
  7. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

It took me awhile to shift from writing in big clumps on weekends (when I have a large block of time) to writing in small chunks every day (I only have an hour a day on weekdays).

What changed my mind was that I found that daily writing is a lifestyle; whereas, binge writing on weekends was fulfilling an obligation.

What inspired me to experiment with daily writing despite my busy weekday schedule:

Annie Dillard: "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."

8. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

In my experience, even saying this is a bad sign. If you want to talk about writing a book, you should already be writing on a daily basis.