1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

What to do with this character?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rktho, Mar 3, 2019.

So I have this character, Brandac. Brandac is an old teacher from a warrior culture, the Talanari. He went into self-exile decades ago until a young boy named Dranolin came to him and begged him to train him in his ways, being part of that same heritage. Dranolin went on to become a successful assassin.

So in the first chapter of my book, right after the prologue, my protagonist, Dranolin's son Scalba, is infiltrating a fortress in order to get close to his father's killer and assassinate him. Brandac has helped him get in. But Scalba isn't able to exact his revenge before they are both caught and thrown in prison. They're in different cells, so they don't see each other or know where the other is. Scalba escapes with a group of prisoners.

The problem is that Brandac doesn't fit into the plot going forward. So I don't know what to do with him. He's introduced in one chapter and appears only in that chapter. I could kill him, but there's no emotional weight to it. Of course there's the problem also that there's no emotional weight to his character anyway because we've only been told the backstory and there is literally no time to show it because it's the first chapter.

This guy is a total problem character. I can't cut him, but he literally serves only one purpose.

2. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

What if Brandac kills himself in Prison, and part of the story arc is to figure out WHY? Could be a nice secondary plot.

3. rktho

I don't feel like he's the type to do that.

4. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Who said there has to be emotional weight? He sounds like a very minor character. I think you could just kill him and have no problems. More than likely he will have no emotional weight with him, whatever you do.
    If you really want a little emotional weight, try making the MC reflect on happy times he spent with this character. Make him miss him. That might make the reader feel something. Probably not much, but like I said before, it's hard to feel much for minor characters.

rktho likes this.
  5. Reece

Reece Senior Member

Maybe he is killed by the same person who killed his father

6. rktho

I figured it out. I have a character he meets in prison. With some adjustment, I can have him take the character's place and turn the mentorship dark.

7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

rktho likes this.
  8. rktho