1. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

Obsidian now at version 1.0

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Amontillado, Oct 15, 2022.

Looks like nice improvements. Tabs, for example.

I think I still like Devonthink for organizing notes. It's arguably overkill, but it does more for me than Obsidian, excepting Obsidian's node map.

Obsidian is compelling. If I didn't have Devonthink I would definitely consider saving the bucks and organizing with Obsidian instead.

The Devonthink features that keep my attention are replicants (like aliases with benefits) and the ability to sort notes in any order I want, not just by date or alphabetically.

Lately, I've been using a feature I hadn't previously touched. You can tell Devonthink to use group (folder) names as tags, either for the whole database or selectively.

Imagine a group for an organization, say, The Mafia. You add Whitey Bolger there. You have a group for Chapter One, too, where you have notes about the stuff that goes on there.

If you add the Chapter One tag to Whitey's entry in The Mafia, Whitey turns into replicants, appearing in both Chapter One and The Mafia.

From either occurrence you could delete either tag, which would have the effect of removing him from that group. If you delete both tags, Whitey's note goes to the inbox so you can refile it later.

Pretty cool.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

This is a pretty impressive program. It's free. I think that's worth mentioning for readers here. It doesn't look like it is. It's very slick is what I mean, not an amateur effort.

I guess it makes sense that it starts in dark mode (Obsidian, har har). I had to switch that though. I'm too old school and need that white screen. (True old school is green on black though, when you think about it.)

IMO, this is the perfect setup for writing. I like the editors with limited formatting and no distractions. Just get the words on the page because that's all that matters. This program has fancy note organizing too though. That's a huge plus.

Amontillado likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I'm interesting in look at this. Have either of you looked at Craft? It's also impressive (but not free).

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

What is it and what does it do? Looking at the web site, it appears to be a program that's intended for software coders, not for authors.

5. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I made a screenshot. It's a slimmed down editor. I guess it's properly a markdown editor with tabs and many ways to sort notes.

I'll leave this kind of big so that it doesn't get blurry. That's probably more important here.

[​IMG]

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It’s not a coding app. It’s a note-taking and organizational app using markdown. You can write on it as well, but something like Ulysses might be better for that, I’m not sure.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  7. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

Obsidian keeps you constantly aware, if you want to be, of incoming links and mentions. Outgoing links, too, but you can always see them in the note text.

There is also a cool graph view, which presents an optionally filtered view of all your notes in something like a mind map linked by the connections in each note.

It might not be the end-all, but it stores all your stuff locally so you have control over cloud syncing and your notes stay in original form, they are not consumed into a proprietary format. "Future proofing," that's the trendy term for that.

Conventional novel-writing software lets you rearrange component files. Obsidian sorts them by file name or by date - but there's a workaround.

Maps of content are a Zettelkasten thing, I think. The idea is you make a note that's like a table of contents, with links to other notes. If you install the Outliner plugin, you can drag and drop members of a bulleted list.

This is an area where Obsidian seems little weak. On the other hand, it doesn't seem buggy. I'll go with simple and stable over glitzy and quirky any day.

Seven Crowns likes this.