2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Where You'll End Up

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Wreybies

Wreybies Arroz Con Admin Operations Manager Staff Supporter Contributor

Closed Voting October 2018 Voting - Short Story Contest

Discussion in 'Monthly Short Story Contest Archives' started by Wreybies, Nov 1, 2018.

Read the entries here: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/october-2018-short-story-contest.159575/

Voting will close at midnight (GMT-4) on November 5.

You can use whatever criteria you like to choose a winner. If you want some guidance, the criteria we used for the 10th-anniversary contest was:
    • Technical ability (spelling, grammar, etc)
    • Entertainment
    • Originality
    • Use of the prompt

2. dbesim

dbesim Contributor Contributor

Voted
    Great bunch of stories and they all created an amazing atmosphere for Halloween. Some of these stories were incredibly scary, some of them were quite funny and others were just interesting with irony.

My favourite story was Drone On because I enjoyed the wit that was presented throughout the story and the couple’s conversation. I also found myself wanting to know what the mystery about the house across was and this kept me in suspense. I’m glad the author revealed the mystery in the end in a very creative way and the image of an oversized witch on a broomstick brought down by a flying drone had me chuckling for a long time.

I also enjoyed TRUE STORIES REMEMBERED for “normalising” the supernatural through this very intimate portrait.

I also enjoyed Where You’ll End Up - because I liked how the end was tied in to the beginning and enjoyed the insight between teacher/kids through her perspective. I guess no one can escape the supernatural. Spooky how her words took a literal form in the end.

I thought the Ballad of Donnie Loinsigh was the strongest prosaically and very well written. I was conflicted between choosing this or Drone On but in the end I decided to opt for the less gorrier story and the one that had me laughing more afterward.

Once again, great job to all the writers and for making Halloween so spooky!

Mark Burton likes this.
  3. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

I enjoyed the imagery and writing style of The Ballad of Donnie Loinsigh. However, Drone on got my vote for its fusion of modern technology and Halloween skulduggery. Well done authors!