Tags:
  1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Instruments

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kratos, Jun 12, 2008.

Who here plays an intrument, and for how long? Is there an instrument you want to learn?

I've been playing trumpet for 5-6 years, and I'd like to learn how to play the drums.

2. Titania

Titania New Member

I've played viola for 6 years, though I haven't done so recently, mainly because I messed up my wrists a while back and had to quit for a time. I can get around decently well on a piano (started lessons in 2nd grade, though they didn't last real long) and I know a little bit on guitar.

My biggest headache is that viola uses alto clef, piano uses treble and bass clef and guitar uses bass clef...

I'd like to get better at piano. It's been a long time since I've taken actual lessons. And I've never taken actual lessons for guitar. Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'd have time... I probably won't be taking any of my instruments to college.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I have played tenor saxophone, but am way out of practice!

4. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

I played the flute, oboe, and french horn in elementary through junior high. I quit when I found out I couldn't get out of the marching part of Band in high school. I took piano lessons my senior year in high school. Haven't touched an instrument since then. I want a new flute for Christmas though. I've asked hubby for one.

5. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I've been playing the bass for 9 months now. It's lots of fun, and such a slick instrument. :cool:
    My strings are sounding a bit muddy though. Gonna need to get them replaced, especially when it comes to sounding good when I play slap bass. :p

6. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Guitar...classical (Gianini classical guitar from Brazil)...blues & rock (2 Fender Strats, 2 Fender Tele's, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, 1 Gibson SG, Fender JazzBass)...folk (Guild G212 12-string, Martin DC15E, Godin acoustic electric). I have additional "collector" instruments that I don't play much. I have four amps (1966 Fender Twin Reverb Black face, Line 6 Modeling amp, a 200watt Marshall stack and a small/cheap practice amp)

I built a studio in one of the kids bedrooms after they moved out...it has 40 track digital CD recording system and every individual effects processor made by Boss, as well as a programmable effects system - Boss GT8.

I've played for 43 years, and if I wasn't spending a lot of time writing, I'd be practicing all week to play blues on weekends. I love music!

7. Weston13

Weston13 New Member

I've had an electric guitar for about two years now, and an acoustic for several more and I haven't learned a single chord. Sad. I know. I want to learn both. At the moment I'm more interested in learning acoustic.

8. ValianceInEnd

Wow, I'm jealous. :p

9. SnipSnap

SnipSnap Active Member

I can play [well] the: clarinet, oboe, sopranoaltotenorandbaritone saxophone, and piano.

I've the clarinet and oboe for 5 years now ... the saxophones I've played for 4 years. I've played piano for 10 years.

I've played the violin for 2 years now, but I can't seem to get the hang of it, even now. I'm more a wind player.

10. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

Thus far, I can only play the harmonica. Years ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to play the blues harp - lol. I'm not a very accomplished player, though.

I will learn to play the piano one day.

:)

11. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn New Member

I played flute in middle school and high school. I still have it in the closet somewhere, but I haven't picked it up in years! I also played the guitar for awhile, but it was more to chase after a guy I liked in high school ;) I decided I needed him to teach me and wasn't really in it to learn guitar!

I really would love to learn to play piano some day...I love piano ")

12. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

I play the fool.

13. MarcG

MarcG New Member

I remember getting a cheap flute in middle school because I wanted to play the music from the Legend of Zelda video games, and that was the closest thing to an ocarina... :p

I actually have a cheap violin on order. Going to go the self taught route, potentially taking a course in college or something. I've forgotten the notes for a trumpet entirely, but I can still do the pitches. I can't play guitar unless it's a bass or wideneck, because my fingertips are too big.

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

The only thing I can play is guitar. I have an acoustic (whose strings have not been changed since Christmas 2005... tsk, tsk) and I'm going to get an ESP electric soon. The interesting thing is that I don't know any of the "essential" chords. I only learn to play songs that I know, and occasionally I'll make my own song. That's the kind of thing I need the electric for. I've played the one that my friend's dad owns, and I was amazed by how it makes even the simplest chords sound awesome. It reassured me that the electric guitar was the way to go. :cool:

15. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

I've played the cello for about 17 years, and my instrument is french and over 100 years old :) I also play the bass guitar (sort of) and used to play the trombone, although i am utterly out of practice.

16. ValianceInEnd

Wow, that's a vintage instrument all right. They made them pretty good back then from what I here because they were hand made.

17. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw New Member

It is pretty lovely :) And it sounds gorgeous. It's had a bit of repair work done, so managed to get it for a fairly reasonable price too :D I plan on using it in a photograph at some point - i think it'd make a lovely black and white maybe with some manuscript.

18. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have a Fender 50s statocaster in Sunburst and a maple neck and play Jazz and Blues though a small Marshell amp.

I love it, and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Eric Johnson is my god. :D

19. heart shaped box

heart shaped box New Member

I've been playing drums for four years now, but I'm not very good.
    I'd love to learn guitar, though.

20. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I have played piano for nine years now, and drum set for three. I intend to continue through high school. Fun fact: Chicks dig musicians.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ahh, the irony.

22. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I was wondering if someone would catch that. ;)
    It's still fun to see them flock, though.

23. ValianceInEnd

It does sound pretty nice.

And Crazy Ivan, that is a fact. But I agree with Cogito, funny one. :p

24. Samus Aran

Samus Aran New Member

I have been playing flute and piccolo for seven years. I really want to learn to play the oboe. My dream is to play the oboe solo in Dumbo's "Pink Elephants on Parade" :-D

25. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

That scene scares the sweet bejeezus out of me. ;-;

As for instruments: I really, really wish I could play harmonica. I would be irresistible to all! A glowing beacon of awesome, with an infusion of blues power!
    I wonder if there's a way I could learn...