Tags:
  1. limitlessundyinglove

limitlessundyinglove New Member

Oh look, a new member!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by limitlessundyinglove, Jun 17, 2019.

Howdy folks!

I am an aspiring writer, which is obviously the reason why I've decided to make an account on this forum. I spent the past hour or so checking out the site and I really like what I see so far. The atmosphere feels right for me and there seems to be plenty of activity. I've also checked out the rules and I'm cool with them. Plus, I haven't spent any significant amount of time on any forums for a few years and I'd really like to jump back into a bigger online community.

A little about myself: I'm from Kansas, and I've lived here my whole life so far. My hobbies are writing (of course), video games, and record collecting. For as long as I can remember I have had a very active imagination, so I settled on writing as a way to channel my ideas into concrete form. My hope is that someday this little passion of mine can become my career. As for what I like to write... well, I haven't written very much yet to be honest. I am doing my best to change that however, and I'm currently working on my first novel (sci-fi).

Cheers!

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Welcome to the forum! Thanks for checking out the rules and posting here first. If you didn't find it, be sure also to check out the New Member Quick Start. Once you've met your membership requirements, you'll be able to post in the Workshop, but until then, feel free to jump in anywhere and start getting to know people. Any questions, pm me or one of the other mods.

Have fun!

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hey, welcome to the forum! It's so enjoyable to be actually working on a novel, isn't it? I hope you feel you're getting along well, and the story is developing to suit you. And that you look forward to the writing time you've set up.

If you've always had an active imagination, then you're not the sort who will get stuck for ideas. Finding a way to bring them to life is one of the most rewarding things you can do for yourself. And for others as well, once you're done. We can't ever have too many books! :)

What kind of sci-fi are you writing—if you can give that much away?

Cheers, Jan

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. limitlessundyinglove

limitlessundyinglove New Member

My story's still in the early stages right now, but it's about mankind's first contact with alien civilization, and how horribly wrong that could go. I've got a pretty good idea about my setting and characters but I'm conflicted over whether I want to aim for lots of action or something more character-driven.
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Well, that's a great theme to work with. My favourite sci-fi TV show, Farscape, deals with this—first contact. It's very instructive and not terribly reassuring to see how humanity does deal with 'aliens' in that show. Lots of sci-fi stories contain aliens who are already incorporated into the story's world. I think it's more interesting to think about 'first contact.' It will be quite a moment.

I can't remember what famous person said this, but it has stuck with me. "Either we are alone in the Universe, or we're not. Either way, it's mind-boggling."

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:
    :superidea:
    Take This Redshirt Edtition.jpg

jannert likes this.