1. brown81

brown81 Banned

Oligarchy

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by brown81, Apr 22, 2018.

I had an idea to create a story about large city ruled by an oligarchy. In this setting there will be six men and women that hold specific jobs to keep order. I thought one would be in charge of security, science, etc.
    Also there will be class distinction between upper and lower citizens.
    What I keep going around with is what would be the most important jobs held by the 6. And what would be the motivation to stop the segregation of both classes?

2. FifthofAscalante

FifthofAscalante Member

Personally, I think that a lot of the time, there is no motivated segregation, rather, it is perpetuated by circumstances. Due to their position, powerful people come in contact with other people in powerful positions. One mafia boss will ring another boss, rather than some grunt. That said, what makes one an oligarch is blood and other kinds of nepotism, or money and other types of power that one can bring to the table. Another absolute condition is that, through whatever means, they must be able remain at the trough.

I’d imagine that the most important positions would include the management of finances, internal security and the flow of information, boots on the ground enforcement, public relations and the public face of the olicharchy, non commercial assets and involved logistics, and last but not least, an accountant. Certainly not “management of science”, oligarchies are too volatile. Oligarchs need to be able to remain at the table though their own power or indispensability.

Note, this is how I see it, and I’m not an expert. You might want to read up on post soviet and pre Putin Russia.

MaryHashish likes this.