Tags:
  1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Critique Template?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by frigocc, Mar 5, 2019.

Anyone have one? I'm no English major, and I can't tell you about alliteration, or euphemisms, or anything like that. Usually have to look up those terms. But, of course with the goal of getting my own work critiqued, I would like to learn how to give effective critique. I mean, how detailed do we have to be? Do I have to mention things like third-person omniscient? Not even sure what that means. I was thinking of just giving my general impressions, suggestions for improvement, and what I thought they did well.

2. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Read critiques. Read the rules for the workshop. Read how a constructive review is defined.
    That should get yous started.

3. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

There are no rules, really, except be helpful. There are people who know all those tight, pedantic grammar rules, and they'll chip in with their own take. There are people who'd prefer to give more of a reader's view than a writer's, and that's no less helpful. I think there are actual guidelines on the forum (this might even be the link posted above, for some reason I can't click it right now). But as long as you're helpful and thoughtful, it really doesn't matter what kind of feedback you give. Some people will ask for very specific things, some just want ideas. Read their work, see what you think, try and put it into words.