1. poetryliberates

poetryliberates Banned

How To Get Published..help Please

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by poetryliberates, Nov 26, 2006.

Can anyone give me any information on how i should go about getting my poetry published? What do i need to do in order to get my work known?

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated

Nikki

2. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

This doesn't belong here, I'll move it to the Publishers forum for discussion.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...you can email me for specific advice... for now, generally speaking, poetry is one of the hardest kinds of writing to get published... in respected paying venues, that is... the reason being so many people want to dabble in it, while so few do it seriously and well...

...have it seen often, and in the best magazines that are known for featuring good poetry... to do that, you have to submit your individual poems to paying venues and get them into those magazines...

...unfortunately, that's not as easy as it seems... to find appropriate venues, go to www.duotrope.com and the writer's market website for listings [or get their latest edition of 'poet's market']...

...do NOT enter your poems in any contests... almost all are scams and the best are next to impossible to win... having your work published often and well, is the only sure way to 'get known'...

...it's vitally important to pick your targets carefully... check their websites and guidelines to make sure your work fits their requirements... check out the magazines themselves, to see if the poems you have to offer are of the same quality and genre as ones they usually publish... and avoid wasting money on magazines that only publish the work of known writers/poets...

...before you start submitting any writing work, it's always a good idea to have someone knowledgable check it over to see if it's really ready to be submitted...

...a full-time poet myself, i mentor lots of aspiring poets, so if you want any help, just drop me a line...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com