1. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Is this suitable?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by hellomoto, May 7, 2009.

I am doing a school assingment (I'M NOT ASKING FOR HELP) and I am using the word 'Shut-up' a lot. It's a drama script and I'm in Year 8, but am not sure if that is a suitable word.... or is too vulgar?

If it is unsuitable, what are some replacements I could use?

Thanks ;)

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

If you need to say shut up, you need to say shut up. There's nothing wrong with using it. I mean, year 8 drama? Not exactly a refined audience to offend there...

3. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

O.K., thanks. Also, say one of my characters needs to read out a long passage, how do I do this. Do I do for example:

Rose:Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla

Is that alright?

4. arron89

arron89 Banned

I guess so. I mean it really depends on what she's saying. And how good of an actor you get to read it. A good actor will find a way to make the long block of text readable and interesting to watch. So, as a writer, you have to make sure you're providing material that can be performed in an interesting way. You and your actors are codependent.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Shut up is not hyphenated. Some people say "Shaddap," others say "Shut it," or "Shut your face," or "Close your pie hole," or "Zip it," or "Not one more word." There are many, many variiations. All you need do is hang around chatterboxes, put a sock in it, and listen.

6. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

I agree with cog on this one. Also, if you want to write a long passage, make sure it's not much longer than what you or your friends would say in a normal covo' as it may get a bit boring, unless acted well.

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Very few people would consider it too vulgar. Since this is a school assignment, the degree of bad language is subject to the teacher's approval for what she considers accepable. However, unless that particular phrase means something to the character's personality, you are better off using a few variations of the same phrase.

8. hellomoto

hellomoto New Member

Yeah, it does largely indicate as to the character's personality.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

just a few more polite ways to say it are:
    hush
    hush up
    be quiet
    quiet down
    close your mouth
    shut your mouth [not quite as polite]

and if you must have a long monologue, it's a good idea to break it up with bits of action now and then...