1. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

I'm going to write a killer novel.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by anasfalis, Mar 8, 2017.

A combination of whisky and motivation manifested itself as this title, and I guess I am just going to keep it. I have been wanting to write for more years than I can count on two hands, and that says enough seeing as that is about half my life. I just never acted on it. Well, except in classes on occasion, when we were asked to write about topics we did not have interest in.

I think I am a creative person. I love creating things, I love working on ideas, and I certainly love writing - but somehow I never act on the latter impulse. Why not? I do not know. Hopefully I will find out. Hopefully this post kickstarts my passion for tapping on this keyboard, but I guess time will tell.

I wanted to add something I wrote, not because I think it is good or bad, but rather because I have no idea where my level of writing is. I can not post anywhere but here yet, but as I have an urge to pop my literacy virginity... Here goes. I should probably tell a bit about myself as well: I am scandinavian, male, in my early twenties, a day dreamer and an optimist. On most days.

[excerpt deleted by Staff]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
    Rani99 and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Your last paragraph suggests you are well on your way to gaining the skills an author needs. Don't forget about 'story' to go with your plot, and get lots of feedback as you go (learning never stops) and you may indeed write that killer novel. I say go for it.

And welcome to the forum.

3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the site! Can I just say how much I love that the first idea you shared was a terrifying villain protagonist?

I've written a bunch of villain protagonists myself, and believe me, there will never be enough of them :twisted: Not in my work, not in yours, not in any one person's, and not in the collective work of the species. Good luck!

Have you ever studied criminal psychology?

4. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

GingerCoffee: Thank you so much. There is indeed a story I have been thinking about that I want to write, but I am going to restrain myself and at least become comfortable with the basics before I plunge into the book. That is also why I want to become a member of this forum and hopefully improve my writing to the point where I feel like the book could be decent.

Simpson: It seems like we have a common interest, there! I appreciate the comment. I recently read 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter', which is arguably most of my inspiration for wanting to write a character somewhere along those lines. I have not studied criminal psychology, nor do I have experience in any field I could translate to writing - This is arguably just me pulling up the long-lost interest in writing I had as a kid.

I want to get comfortable with writing, and especially regarding grammar. There are a few bumps along the road I have to smooth out before I start writing my chapters, which is why I would like to improve my writing through writingforums. Thank you both for the warm welcome.

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

In my case, writing along with a steady critique, chapter by chapter, is how I polished up my writing skills. You might consider just taking the plunge.

6. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

I think you might be right there. Perhaps just jumping head first would be a great way to learn fast and efficiently. The more I think about it, the more it feels like the most logical option. One thing is for sure; if I want to get better, I need to write a whole lot more. Thank you for the comment GingerCoffee, I appreciate it greatly.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

As somebody who's been reading about psychopaths and serial killers ever since he was 15, John Douglas's books get my highest recommendation :) (Except for his fiction, that was disappointing, but his non-fiction is the gold standard of researching how these people think)

8. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

Interesting, I will check out his books. Thank you for the tip!
    I have a feeling that I will research a whole lot of strange stuff as I develop myself as a writer.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. anasfalis

anasfalis Member

As I'm not able to post a new thread on short stories yet, nor have a written enough to actually do so, I want to share my current "story" here instead. These 257 words took me considerably more time to write than those in my initial post, as I found myself rewriting some of the sentences over and over. I didn't plan that much before I started writing, so there's not that much of a story going on, not that I am experienced enough to convey a story in 250 words either way.

I just wanted to share this mostly because I want to document my current position as a writer, so I can hopefully look back at this in the future and see that I have improved. And of course, feedback is always welcome.

[excerpt deleted by Staff]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
    Rani99 likes this.
  10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome to the forum. Please review the PM you will have gotten from me upon joining as regards the posting of excerpts for feedback and critique. Such postings are permitted only within the Workshop and only after a few requirements are met.

Wreybies