1. ministar

ministar New Member

Web Novels and Blog Fiction

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by ministar, Dec 14, 2010.

I love to write. I'll try any and every medium of writing. I see every new outlet for written expression as an opportunity to make the experience of writing fresh, exciting, and new.

For awhile now, I have wanted to delve into the realm of online serial fiction. It seems so fun. If comics and television shows can keep fans on their toes with weekly releases of a new installment, why can't novelists? The only problem I see is, if you ever want to make money off a blog novel, you would have to resort to self-publishing (unless, of course, you are one of those special chosen ones snatched up by a publishing company that simply adores your work).

As long as you know you will never want to traditionally publish the story you're working on, I'd say go for it. It will put your name out into the world. You may even acquire a large fanbase. If webcomics can do it, why can't we?

How do you feel about online serial fiction (blog fiction/web novels/whatever you'd like to call it)?

2. FrailBeauty

FrailBeauty New Member

I personally know of a few serial writing blogs that already exist. I myself have a blog, incidentally. It's not a series (well sometimes it is), but my readers follow it as if it were one.

Self publishing isn't bad at all, and you can earn money from it if you get popular enough (through ads). Blog host sites such as Tumblr even have a directory section for creative writing where users can nominate their favourite writing blogs.

I think it's a great thing, and I love reading blogs that have ongoing stories.

3. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

I've been thinking for years that serialized fiction (and non-fiction) is going to make a comeback. With more people reading on screens, but also reading in short spurts, it's a way to present longer works. IMHO, it's already happening with graphic novels - they give one or two pages at a time, often three days a week.

-Frank

4. rainy

rainy New Member

I'd suggest if you're going to do free online series, make it available for most e-readers. Even if it's just .pdf. If it's available for download for people on the go, you are likely to make more fans.

5. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I tried this for quite a few years actually before moving on to novels. It was a very fun and rewarding experience.

6. Newfable

Newfable New Member

I would imagine that doing so wouldn't be very profitable in terms of money, but would be very rewarding in other ways, and a boat-load of fun.

That, and I'd imagine that it'd be a great way to get noticed for talent and freelance work.

7. ministar

ministar New Member

Haha, you guys are a pleasant surprise. I dropped off the online writing community radar a few years ago, and most people seemed rather opposed to the idea of blog fiction, self-publishing, etc. I love how not only other options have opened up to writers, but these other options have become widely accepted.

I personally view online writing the same way I view webcomics. Tom Siddell, the creator of webcomic Gunnerkrigg Court, created GKC as a way to improve his abilities as an artist, and now he has sold self-published volumes in his online store, along with various prints and t-shirts. I imagine webfiction will become similar to the webcomic craze at some point.

8. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

When you say "self-publishing", are you talking about self-promotion through the internet, or about printing up dead-tree books?

If the former, you'll find a range of responses from "go for it!" to "don't expect much".

If the former, you'll draw many, many cautionary responses. There have been so many who got sucked into a money/time quagmire, that most have become jaded to it. Rightly, imho. Dead-tree self publishing is only sucessful for those with an outstanding eye for business matters &/or a niche market. And quality work, I should add.

-Frank