1. WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?

WhoWatchesTheWatchmen? New Member

Has your writing ever been praised?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WhoWatchesTheWatchmen?, Jul 29, 2008.

And if so, when?

My writing was first praised last year during 8th grade. The most amazing English teacher, Ms. Pringle, brought me out of study and said, "Holy S**t, Nick. I just got done reading your Flowers For Algernon Paper, and it was Phenomenal..." She had sworn in class before, in ways that made it easy for students to connect with her. She was an awesome teacher, and the cool part was my original paper I had thrown away ( it was utterly terrible ) and I made up a new paper the class before it was due.

:D

2. coalminersdaughter

coalminersdaughter Member

I have never once been praised by anyone, not even my legions of followers that walk behind me wherever I go. Lousy hippies.

3. Daisy

Daisy New Member

I do a lot of writing in my work, (non fiction) and my boss praises me, of course, he takes credit for it too, so there you go.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Well that's your problem. Ditch the hippies and get some preppies. ;)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Preppies? Preppies are notorious for being self-absorbed, aren't they?

Find a New-Ager to send some positive energy.

Any other trendy categories we can pick on?

As for the original question: Occasionally.

6. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

I've had a couple of things that I've written in the rpg section on here praised. :)

7. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    Well, I have but it's because I never follow directions.
    "Arden, what you wrote was great, but I fail to see how Gatsby representing the death of morale reason in America has to do with him being your favorite scene in the book, or how that's even revelant now that we're reading the Crucible."

8. Fluxhavok

Fluxhavok Active Member

i LOOOOOOVED Flowers for Algernon!!!

Can i see the paper you wrote?

I got praised all through grade school and college, not so much in college though. I have bad SPAG. Excellent content, but apparently that counts for naught if people have to struggle through your SPAG. Let that be a lesson to you, young one.

9. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Hook up with some bleeding heart sociology majors at a local college...they'll praise you for waking up in the morning.

10. gigantes

gigantes Banned

this is mostly a note to self, but when you find people like this then keep in touch with them. it's important to have mentors, but one mistake i made in school was to take praise and merely add it to my ego stockpile. so many times in later years i needed someone to go back to and ask questions of and get advice from. but i had lost touch with them all, mainly because of pride and feeling the need to be self-reliant.

that, mademoiselle, was the post of the day.

11. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

My freshman english teach, Mrs. Blankenship, loved my writing before she even read it. She said she had an "eye for writers like you" as of that time I'd never written anything that wasn't for school. But, I wrote a three page short story about a rebellious autistic kid and she fell in love with it, and shared it with all the other english teachers, the principle, and the art teacher. I have a reputation now.

12. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

Yes, it's been praised on various occasions.

I won't go into further detail as to do so seems like empty bragging. I'd far rather have a few devoted readers who keep returning instead of a few people who gush effusive praise and lose interest two minutes later. Sadly, it seems the people who praise the loudest are the ones who never come back. :(

I always try to strike up a correspondence or keep in touch with the people who like my writing, but they never seem interested in actually communicating about it. It's all I can do just to convince people to speak up in the first place. I put an e-mail link on every single chapter of my online serials just to make it easier though it's made little difference. I'll actually get people saying, on occasion, "I figured you must be too busy with all the e-mails praising your work so I didn't think you'd care what I say," then when I insist this isn't so and I'd love to hear from them, I never hear back. *sigh*

I badly await the day I find somebody who praises my work and actually wants to communicate with me about it!

13. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

The best solution to that would be to host your own forum - replacing the email link with one to the forum. (Assuming, of course, you have a good range of readers willing to participate - and that way, they can also communicate with each other. A few authors have done that already. I was a member of the Lian Hearn forum until it closed recently, and her involvement with that site was very hands on - we all ended up calling her 'Aunty Lian' - so much so that she started referring to herself that way, lol).

I've been complimented on occasion, and though I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm incredibly narcissistic, I'm hesitant to prove it by relating the details. :p

14. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I have had my writing praised by a couple of English teachers before. Although, it dampened my joy when my English teacher was saying how amazing this peice was, I mean really going on about how brilliant it was, but she didnt know who's it was. When I put my hand up to say it was mine, she asked why I was lying. :eek: :p

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could have gone to him after class, shown him that it really was your writing, and then left him with the remark that he was welcome to apologize, publically, during the next class session.

What a jackass!

16. lessa

lessa New Member

I have been praised.
    The best was from an abused little boy.
    I had told him a story about how another abused child
    finally told an adult the problems he had, and how that
    wonderful lady helped him.
    He said "you are the bested story teller ever."

he then proceeded to tell me his life history and I was able
    to get him the help he needed.

I think that is one of the reasons I write for children.

17. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Was that reffering to me, lol. Just thought I'd check incase I made a pratt of myself. :p

And I don't really care to be honest with you ... I must give the impression of being as dense as a peice af wood as everyone seems to think it, so leave them to it. I guess the blonde hair, over-done make-up and constant use of the word "like" does not really help my case. :p I don't care though, I'm in all the top classes, expected A's in most of my lessons, why do I need to prove to them that I am capable of writing something good.

Lmao ... I say that, I really do care what everyone thinks, but mainly about what I look like, not whether they think I'm smart or not :S

18. FantasyWitch

FantasyWitch New Member

Not lately. My writing used to be loved by people all the time.

I had this great teacher at school who was published childrens author herself. Loved her tonnes i swear and she really helped me get a drive with my writing.

But lately even on here I havm't had a proper review never mind a possitive comment in ages.
    It's all petty things like "I didn't know that was her name"
    or
    "I don't like your discriptive style."

And then no explaination as to how to fix these so called "issues"#

*sigh*

Oh well.
    Banzai praises me the nice guy :D

19. topper

topper New Member

One teacher in middle school said he'd read a paper I'd written 3 times because it made him laugh so hard.
    One teacher in high school read a short story I'd done at the end of the year and asked me if I'd ever considered fiction writing as a profession. (Not essay writing, though.)
    And my Spanish teacher freshman year told me my sentences were usually perfect, but that was the best compliment I've ever gotten from a teacher. He wasn't effusive with praise.

20. inkslinger

inkslinger Active Member

My writing was praised in school. I'll never forget my first award for writing. It was fifth grade, I was eleven, and the contest was about Dr. Seuss. We had to create a strange funny story the likes of what Dr. Seuss himself would come up with. I won first prize and was embarrassed during a school assembly. Anyway, I was praised in junior high and high school too, but it was only momentarily ego-boosting, lol.

The only other time I've had my writing praised was when I wrote fanfiction.

FF and school, other than that, nope. :)

21. Kratos

Kratos New Member

My teacher praised my report. After we turned in our rough drafts, she said most of them were completely wrong, and proceeded to read through a bit of mine and say it was right.

Also, my writing has been praised here and on fanfiction.

But other than that, not really.