Tags:
  1. Jennifer Zelek

Jennifer Zelek New Member

Online and Digital Dating

Discussion in 'Research' started by Jennifer Zelek, Jul 29, 2019.

If you have any experiences (good, bad, funny, downright awful) resulting from any online or app based digital dating I'd love to hear them as research for my book on digital dating! I do not need any identifying information from you. If you are interested, please answer the questions below on the thread and I will comment on the thread if I have any follow up questions for you.

My questions are as follows:

What dating app/website did you use?

How long were you on this website/ app before you met the person in question?

Who reached out to whom first? (You or this other individual?) And what is the gist of how they broke the ice?

At what point did you meet?

What was the first date like? (where, first impressions, etc. Any details would be great!)

Were there any (red flags/signs that this could be the one)?

How did things proceed from there?

At what point did things start to (go bad/get serious)?

How did the relationship progress at that point?

How did it turn out in the end (marriage, never communicated again, etc.)?

Do you have any advice you would give to others who are dating through digital means?

Thank you for helping me out! If you have any suggestions/ feedback for my research or book idea I would really appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2019
  2. Lawless

Lawless Active Member

Seeing that there are no replies at all, I would be willing to help you out, but the closest thing to online dating I've had was a long-distance relationship which was quite intimate all right but we broke up before we physically met.

Let me know if you're interested. Good luck with your book.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. flawed personality

flawed personality Contributor Contributor

I spent a long time on one dating site, so I'd have a good few stories to tell.

4. Jennifer Zelek

Thank you for replying! I appreciate it! Did you meet this gentleman that you had a long distance relationship with on a dating site or app?

5. Jennifer Zelek

Hi, thank you for responding! I'd love to hear them if your willing! What dating site did you use?

6. flawed personality

They were all with one site: freedating.co.uk

Though I met my fiance right here on WF. No dating sites needed. :)

Cave Troll likes this.
  7. Jennifer Zelek

Congratulations on getting engaged! That's amazing that you met them on here! Who would have thought!

For you first story from freedating.co.uk, what did you notice about their profile? Who reached out first? How long did you communicate before you met? What were your first impressions? What was your first date like? Where did it go from there?
    Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your help!

8. Lawless

Lawless Active Member

Looks like I ought to change my profile picture. I am a man and I met a woman.

Curiously enough, it was a language exchange site. It means a site where someone who speaks, say, German and wants to learn Chinese can look for someone who speaks Chinese and wants to learn German, and then they can help each other with those languages.

I was primarily interested in getting acquainted with interesting women from Latin America and I thought a language exchange site might be a good opportunity for that – and, well, for practicing my Spanish too.

9. flawed personality

This was maybe 5 years ago, so my memory of exacts is fuzzy to say the least.
    • I was the first to reach out.
    • The last person I met on there we exchanged essay length emails for about a month-six weeks until we finally met in person.
    • I jumped up and down when I finally got there, which took both of us by surprise.
    • We went around his local town by the sea, and had some chips and talked all the way back to his. We cuddled on the sofa, and I stayed there for the weekend.
    • After a couple more meetings, we decided to live together, and he came over by train and helped me move my stuff. We were together 3 years in total before we broke up.

10. Jennifer Zelek

Oh gosh, I'm sorry about that! I guess it is hard to know either way on here! Language exchange sites can definitely be a cool way to meet someone! I met my boyfriend using one when I lived in South Korea. We were together until I moved back to the States.
    What did you notice about her profile? Who reached out first? How long did you communicate and how frequently? How attached/serious would you say that you two became despite never having met? What did the relationship in ultimately? The distance? Who broke it off?
    Sorry for all the questions! Thanks for your help!

11. Jennifer Zelek

It sounds like things progressed quite quickly for you! What attracted you to this man's profile ? What was your first impression of him when you met? (Obviously it must have been a good one!) What ultimately made you guys break up?

12. Lawless

Lawless Active Member

Sent PM.

13. flawed personality

• I liked his profile photo. It had a calming, reassuring and peaceful vibe to it, which would turn out to be quite ironic.
    • I don't know tbh.
    • His narcissistic nature. He refused to work with anyone who didn't share his views on society.