1. Alex R. Encomienda

Alex R. Encomienda Contributor Contributor

Online editorial work

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Alex R. Encomienda, Sep 27, 2018.

Hello, all!

This might end up being a pointless thread but I was wondering if there are any small publishing houses or companies that might need more staff?

Recently, I was laid off from work along with two other employees. I saw it coming but did't act quick enough because I wasn't certain that it would happen.

Anyway, can any of you point me in the direction of the way? I don't have a map of this jungle and i'm running low on supplies.

Thanks an advance!

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Most of the small publishers I know expect staff to either have experience in the field or to work their way up through volunteer positions. It's not an easy field to get in to.

Alex R. Encomienda likes this.
  3. Alex R. Encomienda

I see.. Do you know of any kind of online work that might be a good start?

I expect to find tons on the internet but i'm not sure which ones will be worthwhile and which ones won't. I was thinking that maybe someone in here might know more or less which ones are good starters.

4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

BeforeI had any real experience, I got a job with a small book publisher. I did have to go into the office once or twice a week at least (only a few hours), but a good deal of the work was copy editing, which the publisher did let me do from home. I would start by contacting small presses near you. If you're not in a city, look to the nearest city. I bet there are a few niche publishers. The other thing to look at are university presses. These usually have a few staff positions and the rest are filled by volunteers or interns, but the volunteers and interns are usually given a stipend so you're not exactly working for free. However, these stipends won't be enough to live off of, but it could supplement other income and help on a CV if that's what you want to get into. Newspapers always need good copy editors, especially if you're willing to work the night shift and have a good eye for catching mistakes and typos. Newspapers also always need good stringers (freelance writers). It might be worth getting in touch with one of the dailies in your city. Copy editing for newspapers is usual done in the news room. For freelance writers, it's a mix. Sometimes that want you there in the newsroom, other times you can email it in. These are all possibilities for entry level positions.

5. Alex R. Encomienda

Great info.

I did send my cv to a few houses when I was at the library a few weeks ago. I'll just keep emailing/quearing nearby publishers until I have the opportunity to present what I havd. Finding a job is a lot like sibmissions.. They're both a bit of a pain.

deadrats likes this.
  6. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

If writing is something you want to make a living from, you could set yourself up
    as a freelance commercial writer. Though you may need to develop a few extra skills.

7. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

101 words are after an editor—sadly pro bono work. It's all short quick-fire submissions mind that you'd be dealing with—and you'd keep your hand in till the dollars came along.

Alex R. Encomienda and matwoolf like this.