1. Shane the writer

Shane the writer New Member

Online self publishing options outside the US

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Shane the writer, Dec 5, 2021.

Are there successful online self publishing services outside the US? I am writing my life story and I do not want to use Kindle.. etc. I am kinda looking for a place that values privacy since I will use a pen name.

2. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Possibly Kobo? I believe they are headquartered in Canada. The web site offers a number of different languages, so I imagine they are an international operation.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/p/writinglife

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

You'll still need to give them your real name to get paid whoever you use, but you can use a pen name on all of them... privacy is a variable thing though if you're successful word will leak - ask erika leonard ( EL James)

amazon are international and have about 80% of most markets - it makes no sense to turn your back on them

Kobo are in Canada and are owned by a Japanese parent who also own overdrive... both offer international distribution

Tolino are in Germany

There are a number of Chinese options - all of whom will censor your work

QueenOfPlants likes this.
  4. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I guess I'm not sure why you're eschewing Kindle? Amazon publishes in most countries. I use Amazon, I'm in Canada.

5. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Come to think about it -- if you're not going to use your own name, how is it going to be your life story?

Are you planning to offer this for sale, or are you just looking to have a few copies printed up for members of your family and close friends? Is it possible that you're looking for a printer rather than a publisher?