1. Emily B

Emily B New Member

Online Writing Workshop Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Emily B, Sep 2, 2020.

Hello fellow writers! I am about 160 pages into a young adult fantasy novel I've been working on, but also feel like maybe I'm 120 pages into it and then have about 40 pages of what could be book 2. I would love to signup for a workshop to get some help and advice on it. In researching workshops... there are a LOT. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of online (because COVID) workshops where I could get some support in shaping my novel? Appreciate any insight!

Damage718 likes this.
  2. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Following.

Would love to attend a workshop/class myself. The freeer the better :) Not trying to be cheapass but being laid off and all, wanting to watch the dollars.

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I highly recommend Gotham's online classes and workshops. They're a little pricy, but sometimes you get what you pay for. I saw it as an investment in myself when justifying the cost. They were doing some free one-day classes and workshops over the summer so people could try them out. I'm not sure if that's still going on.

One thing that is pretty important is who the instructor is. When I was trying to decide which Gotham course to sign up for I googled the instructors and read some of their works. I went with an instructor who wrote somewhat similar to my style or more like the style I was going for at the time. He pulled it off flawlessly in his writing. From that, I knew I could probably learn from him. And it wasn't the course I originally was thinking I would sign up for, but it's still one of the best things I have done for myself. My writing improved tenfold.

Another suggestion to look into would be Grub Street. I have worked with an editor from there and I have friends who have taken their courses and thought they were worth it.