1. Opalized

Opalized Member

Opinions on this idea

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Opalized, Jan 18, 2022.

I'm trying to figure out how I should create creatures for a fictional world.

The world in question is still under works, so I can't say much about it, but I have decided that it will be set in an era similar to Victorian times. What sets it apart from other worlds in fantasy novels is the creatures that live in it. Most of the animals are existing ones, some with changes like exaggerated size or extra abilities; but the others are prehistoric.

Now, it's not like I have dinosaurs running around the world (though that's not the worst idea), but I do have lesser-known creatures from other time periods. Examples would be anamolocaris, trilobites, dunkleosteus—just to name a few. Some of them are altered to fit the world's climate better or just to be cooler, but otherwise, they're completely the same.

I'd like to hear some opinions on this concept. How does it sound to you guys? Does having prehistoric creatures in a fantasy setting seem like a good idea?

Edit: I thought I should mention that ‘cooler’ isn’t really the word I was looking for, I suppose ‘more original’ would be better.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  2. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

I can picture a trilobite but the others might need a paleontology lesson. And then if they're altered, it's a lesson that I won't be able to use for anything except understanding the story. Changing their climates and time periods might come under artistic license. There might be a strong overlap between the people who appreciate these creatures being used, and the ones who resent them being made cooller: so that would be something to establish early in the story. I guess most people know trilobites were a bit like aquatic woodlice, so perhaps start with them to show the logic and approach for how the story will change the creatures it uses.

Opalized and peachalulu like this.
  3. Opalized

Opalized Member

I can see what you mean. The trilobites are the only creatures that I’ve actually put in the story so far, the others still need heavy research.

4. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

Currently Reading::
    "The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    If I can imagine my mind is close to the modern audience, if you talked about the more obscure ones, I’d google it. Otherwise, I’d enjoy the description of some odd alien (albeit real) creature as part of your story.

Opalized likes this.
  5. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Get those hoofed land crocodiles and aquatic sloths! :superagree:

I personally love the idea, because the Victorian era was the time when paleontology took off.
    Btw. I also knew all the creatures you mentioned.

I think somebody should have an arthropleura specimen as a pet. :supergrin:

Opalized likes this.
  6. Opalized

Opalized Member

I love the arthropleura idea! Thank you for your feedback.