1. Opalized

Opalized Member

Opinions on this paragraph?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Opalized, Sep 18, 2021.

So I'm trying to figure out how I should write this paragraph.

At first, I had this;

"All they did was stare at Aske, which was something they did a lot, now that Aske thought about it. Aske couldn't figure out if they were in disbelief or had fallen asleep."

I thought it had too many "Aske's", and didn't flow well, so I changed it to this;

"They only stared, unreadable and awfully blank. Aske had begun to realize this was something they did a lot."

I decided to write it again, to see what else I could do with it;

"Aske couldn't figure out if they were in disbelief or had fallen asleep. They did this a lot, now that Aske thought about it."

Thoughts?

Seven Crowns likes this.
  2. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'd shove the first sentence into a pure description without mentioning Aske. The second sentence will take over the idea and it will hold, I think.

They were either in stunned disbelief or had fallen asleep. They did this a lot, now that Aske thought about it.​

Though you're not naming who's confused by their action, it's pretty apparent it's Aske.

Opalized likes this.
  3. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

^^^ agree

Seven Crowns and Opalized like this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Is it already known that the main character's name is Aske?

If so, my first thought would be this:

'All they did was stare at him. They did that a lot, now that he thought about it. He couldn't figure out if they were in disbelief or had fallen asleep.'

The last sentence bugs me a bit though. 'were in disbelief' sounds strange. And I can't picture a way people could be staring at him in such a way that it also looks like they're asleep. Sleeping means eyes closed, staring at someone is kind of the opposite.

For that last sentence I might try 'Were they staring in stunned disbelief, or just staring blankly?'

And I might cut the last 'staring'. Yeah, I probably would.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    petra4, montecarlo and Opalized like this.
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Actually I would also take out 'now that he thought about it'. It's unnecessary. Of course it's him thinking about it, that never needs to be said. Just like 'he saw, he felt, he heard, he smelled, he thought' etc. None of it needs to be said, unless it's the seeing, the smelling, or the thinking itself that's important. You can take out the filtering statements that only push the action farther away from the reader and just show the action itself.